A Thai Woman'S Logic

Puccini

My darling wife, sitting at the computer in her office: "I like living in the dark, in case you're wondering why the light is off"

20 seconds later, as I am leaving her office: "Could you switch on the light on your way out?"

I can, and I do, then it hits me, I turn on my heels, go back into the room and ask if she could explain, which she does: "I like to sit in the dark, but sometimes I like to have light"

I've never seen anybody change her mind faster than my wife does, often even within the same sentence, within three seconds or less. Come to think of it, it shouldn't really surprise me. It is the Buddhist concept of fluidity, or impermanence, isn't it? I guess some people are faster at it than others :)

"I like to sit in the dark, but sometimes I like to have light"

What is confusing about this?

I like to go to the beach, but sometimes I like to go to the mountains. Is that western man's logic? And what does it say about my spiritual beliefs?

An alternative might be don't buy into the 'we are all rational creatures platitude'. If someone claims to occasionally like something and then juxtapose that with it's opposite, they are exercising nothing more than one of the daily choices and idiosyncrasies that help define us. Logic doesn't enter the picture lett alone being female or Thai; therefore, you have misdescribed your wife's habits.

The ball is now in your court: how to understand your wife... .

or, as has been pointed out, people change their minds. all the time. Accept that she is a human being and that really she is not some mysterious creature and her behavior may make some sense to you. or not.

My cat changes her mind a lot as well. She yowls and whines until she can sit on my lap and then ten seconds later she will get up and wander off. Sometimes she likes her dry food and sometimes she doesn't. I don't know if it's because she's a female, I don't think that's it though, and I'm pretty sure she's not a Buddhist, maybe it's because she's a cat. :)

I like sitting in the dark when on the computer, but when it comes to having to type something I put the light on so I can see the keyboard.

If only I had a light-up keyboard.

Ditto.

And I'm not even a Buddhist -- how odd!

Edited by SteeleJoe

I like sitting in the dark when on the computer, but when it comes to having to type something I put the light on so I can see the keyboard.

They are out there, too bad its not an optional upgrade on laptops tho!

41N3xGN7BNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Must. Have.

Actually, I thought I read somewhere about laptops with backlit keyboards. They might be out there!

I use a little battery operated camping lantern that I sit next to my laptop when I am using it at night. I wonder if they have a battery operated Buddha light.........I'll ask my cat.

Actually, I thought I read somewhere about laptops with backlit keyboards. They might be out there!

I use a little battery operated camping lantern that I sit next to my laptop when I am using it at night. I wonder if they have a battery operated Buddha light.........I'll ask my cat.

Given it's erratic behavior (and female/Buddhist logic), haven't you learned by now that you can't trust your cat to give you a straight answer?

Cats are alway right. Whatever the cat says is the God honest truth. Trust me, I know.

Otherwise get scratched to death.... Or purred to death!!!

And no, they can't see in the dark. It's all in the whiskers...

Edited by Patsycat

Must. Have.

amazon ;)

Available locally.

InvadeIT/Razer keyboard, I have one, its awesome.

I dont' have a desktop or I'd get one for sure. Wonder if invade has an aftermarket add in for laptops? :P

MacBook Pro has one as standard. It's a bit pricy, but runs MacOS or Windows. Best of all worlds :)

• 4 weeks later...

I would say that "logic" in general in thailand is an abstract concept. Critical thinking is not usually taught in schools thus a very high % of society could be considered handicapped. Education is not to memorize a bunch of facts but to teach the brain to think (einstein)

This coupled with a society in which cheating and corruption is the norm at all levels, and the soap operas that cause whatever viable cerebral tissue to atrophy further does not help. The behaviors also baffle my Japanese and Singaporean frinds that spend time in Thailand.

In my experience, the % of people/women with Japan/ G7 style function/logic is very small. I have such Thai friends that are also very fed up with the above.

The food is great so enjoy it. You might want to google "serenity prayer" to help you cope.

A guy was walking along the beach, found a bottle, and picked it up andopened it. A magical genie popped out and said, "Thanks for letting me out. For your kindness I will grant you one wish." The guy said, "I've alwayswanted to go to Hawaii, but I can't because I'm afraid to fly and ships make medeathly sick. My wish is for you to build a highway from here to Hawaii."The genie replied, "I'm sorry, but I don't think I can do that. Just thinkof all the work involved. Think of the huge pilings we would need to hold up that highway and how deep they would have to be to reach the bottom ofthe ocean. And think of all the cement that would be needed. Plus, since it'ssuch a long span, there would have to be gas stations and rest stops along the way. No, that's just too much to ask. The environmental impact makes it impossible.Think of another wish." The guy thought for a moment and said, "Well,there is one thing I've always wanted to know. I'd like to be able tounderstand women - what makes them laugh and cry, why are they so temperamental, why are they so difficult to get along with ...you know, what makes them tick?" The genie thought fora second, and then asked, "Do you want that highway with two lanes or four?"

Edited by tonytidbury

A guy was walking along the beach, found a bottle, and picked it up andopened it. A magical genie popped out and said, "Thanks for letting me out. For your kindness I will grant you one wish." The guy said, "I've alwayswanted to go to Hawaii, but I can't because I'm afraid to fly and ships make medeathly sick. My wish is for you to build a highway from here to Hawaii."The genie replied, "I'm sorry, but I don't think I can do that. Just thinkof all the work involved. Think of the huge pilings we would need to hold up that highway and how deep they would have to be to reach the bottom ofthe ocean. And think of all the cement that would be needed. Plus, since it'ssuch a long span, there would have to be gas stations and rest stops along the way. No, that's just too much to ask. The environmental impact makes it impossible.Think of another wish." The guy thought for a moment and said, "Well,there is one thing I've always wanted to know. I'd like to be able tounderstand women - what makes them laugh and cry, why are they so temperamental, why are they so difficult to get along with ...you know, what makes them tick?" The genie thought fora second, and then asked, "Do you want that highway with two lanes or four?"

What the heck does this have to do with backlit keyboards or cats??