True Move Launching Samsung Galaxy S Ii

george

In case I missed it in this thread.

Those who bought the official Thai version of the phone,can you please confirm if the phone has all 4 frequency's for 3G.

That may be challenging? You'll need someone who has both a Truemove 3G and AIS 3G capable SIM and plan, and coverage. Not sayin' there isn't someone out there will all that. Just choosing the network in "Settings" might not be enough?

And... any Samsung Galaxy SII will accept any SIM from Truemove, AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy, and will be able to make GSM voice calls, and be able to originate/receive SMSes and be able to utilize 2G (GPRS/EDGE) data on any network.

Until someone can verify 3G functionality across both 850 and 900 Mhz networks you may want to purchase the model which works on your current or planned 3G network?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case I missed it in this thread.

Those who bought the official Thai version of the phone,can you please confirm if the phone has all 4 frequency's for 3G.

That may be challenging? You'll need someone who has both a Truemove 3G and AIS 3G capable SIM and plan, and coverage. Not sayin' there isn't someone out there will all that. Just choosing the network in "Settings" might not be enough?

And... any Samsung Galaxy SII will accept any SIM from Truemove, AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy, and will be able to make GSM voice calls, and be able to originate/receive SMSes and be able to utilize 2G (GPRS/EDGE) data on any network.

Until someone can verify 3G functionality across both 850 and 900 Mhz networks you may want to purchase the model which works on your current or planned 3G network?

That is just my point,currently I don't have 3G same like 95% of the TV mmmbers because it isn't available in their area yet.It is also unclear which provider, if any , gonna be able to provide 3G in my area ever.It would be a shame if 3G would become available this century on a frequency my phone would not be able to receive ,don't you think?

Bought the phone last night from True Seacon Square (thanks for the tip Jolos), and enjoying it a lot so far. As mentioned it is i9100T, which is Super Amoled+ and 1.2 Ghz Exynos cpu. So it's still a mystery to me how they are able to charge so much less for this phone in the Thai market. I use DTAC, so was told this phone works fine for DTAC and True 3g, but not AIS.

In any case, all signs are pointing to i9100t being locked to 850 Mhz and not supporting the AIS 900 Mhz bands for 3g. Personally, I think we'll all have new phones by the 3g becomes widely available in Thailand anyway, so I'm not overly concerned.

That is just my point,currently I don't have 3G same like 95% of the TV mmmbers because it isn't available in their area yet.It is also unclear which provider, if any , gonna be able to provide 3G in my area ever.It would be a shame if 3G would become available this century on a frequency my phone would not be able to receive ,don't you think?

I completely understand the challenge you and others face, that's why I spend an inordinately large amount of time highlighting this specific issue. At this exact moment it looks like an 850/1900/2100 3G-capable phone would be the best bet, as CAT/True RealMove are planning an 850 expansion and TOT/SAMMART/MVNO a 1900 expansion. In theory 2100 will eventually be "auctioned" by the NTBC? However that could easily change by this afternoon. And it may well turn out that the SGS2 will be able to support 850 and 900 (and 1900/2100), perhaps with some tinkering? My suggestion would be to wait another 30 days to see how the 3G situation shakes out, and to see how these localized SGS2 models are set up.

If you have AIS 3G, say in Chiang Mai, Chonburi, Hua Hin, Siam Paragon/Central World (and maybe a few other locations), then get the 900-capable version. If you use Truemove then get the 850-capable version. If you must have the phone now maybe get the 850 version? Or wait?

It seems like there are quite a few 'modems' (essentially software packages) that can be flashed in Clockwork Mod (requires a rooted phone, but I am still not sure if these can manipulate the potentially embedded FW on the Intel baseband controller.

Bought the phone last night from True Seacon Square (thanks for the tip Jolos), and enjoying it a lot so far. As mentioned it is i9100T, which is Super Amoled+ and 1.2 Ghz Exynos cpu. So it's still a mystery to me how they are able to charge so much less for this phone in the Thai market. I use DTAC, so was told this phone works fine for DTAC and True 3g, but not AIS.

In any case, all signs are pointing to i9100t being locked to 850 Mhz and not supporting the AIS 900 Mhz bands for 3g. Personally, I think we'll all have new phones by the 3g becomes widely available in Thailand anyway, so I'm not overly concerned.

finally someone that want to buy the phone for a nice price and not just talk talk talk !!

if you want to use 3G in bangkok nowadays then you should go with TRUE but if you live only in SIAM PARAGON then wait.

planning 3G in thailand (well that could take a long time before being implemented)

maybe they skip 3G and go directly to 4G (also not supported)

whatever

since the hardware is identical for the I9100 and I9100T

in the worst case you can always flash the ROM with a default I9100 ROM available on the NET (just google for it)

or in MBK !!

anyway

the I9100T is the phone

that looks much better

works more stable

better to handle

and is really faster then the SGS 1

For any of you that have the phone already, are you having any problems with the gps? Mine doesn't seem to get a lock easily and if it does, it loses it after a few seconds. Wondering if I have a faulty gps chip, or if anyone else is having the same problem.

For any of you that have the phone already, are you having any problems with the gps? Mine doesn't seem to get a lock easily and if it does, it loses it after a few seconds. Wondering if I have a faulty gps chip, or if anyone else is having the same problem.

Maybe have a read through some of "GPS problems" threads on XDA? Also a fair amount of Youtube videos on the subject. This was/is a problem on the SGS but many SW fixes available. One of my criteria for a custom ROM was improved GPS performance. Lock time is of little relevance if accuracy suffers.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1062225&highlight=GPS

Just bought Samsung Galaxy S2 today at Samsung shop in Fortune Ratchada.

It's an i9100 so it can be used with any provider. I paid 18,900 Baht for it. A little more expensive than from True but I need to be able to use 3G in 2 or 3 European countries.

I've only had it for 2 hours and haven't had much time to play around but I can say one thing right now "It's awesome". Fantastic screen. Much better than my friend's iPhone4 and fast!

I had a Nokia E72 (still have it) and was pleased with that as I never really liked touch screen. Now I need to find out to use touchscreen and find all the features of Android.

It's an i9100 so it can be used with any provider. I paid 18,900 Baht for it. A little more expensive than from True but I need to be able to use 3G in 2 or 3 European countries.

I've only had it for 2 hours and haven't had much time to play around but I can say one thing right now "It's awesome". Fantastic screen. Much better than my friend's iPhone4 and fast!

I had a Nokia E72 (still have it) and was pleased with that as I never really liked touch screen. Now I need to find out to use touchscreen and find all the features of Android.

Congrats on the new phone...the Galaxy S II is generally regarded as the best Android phone (certainly in terms of specs and screen) available right now...and the price confirms that :) Android is the best...just go to the Market and get all your free apps to fill-up all the georgeous screen real estate!

So,do you confirm that all 4 frequencies for 3G are enabled on the Thai version of the phone.

@Lomatopo,I have been looking at those links provided by you concerning the modem and kernel firmware mods,but I just can't find out which modem software version includes which modifications

I'm just back from Central Plaza Chiang Rai. Many of the shops have the S2, although none of them offered the VAT refund, so I'll pick one in Bangkok next week.

How exactly does that VAT refund thing work? I hear it is very complicated and can only be done at the airport? Is it similar to the "mail-in" rebate that you must wait 6 months for?

I'm just back from Central Plaza Chiang Rai. Many of the shops have the S2, although none of them offered the VAT refund, so I'll pick one in Bangkok next week.

How exactly does that VAT refund thing work? I hear it is very complicated and can only be done at the airport? Is it similar to the "mail-in" rebate that you must wait 6 months for?

It's quite easy. If buying, the shop has a yellow form, which must be filled out. Then when leaving the country, you have to show the item for inspection, so don't pack it in the checked luggage. After passing immigration, there is another office where you get the 7% refunded, minus a 100 bath fee.

Edited by jethro69

In Europe 3G runs anyway not on the 850 MHz band.

I googled a bit, and found that for example Telstra in Australia has the T model as well, they stated that it's fine tuned to run on the 850 MHz band. So the Thai T version might be the same, maybe also an explanation why it comes out here so late.

Don't do it!

If you have any problems, you are pretty naive to think True will take care of you: Endless waits on customer service call centers. When you finally reach them, either the English speaker is "off duty," or the Thai person speaking English is unintelligible. SMS messages from True in Thai only. Once you sign in to a service you have to move heaven and earth to opt out.

I just bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab, using a True sim card as my portal. Had major problems setting up service, and maintaining an adequate information flow about my promotional program. My recent dealings with True remind me of why I've been using DTAC for 8 years instead of True.

You've been warned! mad.gif

Google with Vat Refund Thailand came up with :

http://www.thaiwaysm...vat_refund.html

and here the link for the revenue department

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/

It's quite easy. If buying, the shop has a yellow form, which must be filled out. Then when leaving the country, you have to show the item for inspection, so don't pack it in the checked luggage. After passing immigration, there is another office where you get the 7% refunded, minus a 100 bath fee.

Thanks guys. i did the calculation and saw that if you meet the criteria, you could get refunded 18,900 x 7% - 100 = 1223 off of the SGs II, if you leave by plane within 60 days of purchase. is it hit or miss with an authorized dealer having these forms?

Google with Vat Refund Thailand came up with :

http://www.thaiwaysm...vat_refund.html

and here the link for the revenue department

http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/

Thanks guys. i did the calculation and saw that if you meet the criteria, you could get refunded 18,900 x 7% - 100 = 1223 off of the SGs II, if you leave by plane within 60 days of purchase. is it hit or miss with an authorized dealer having these forms?

I did it many times on different items, cameras, laptops, and mobile phones. As for the SGSII, I guess that the price will be everywhere the same more or less, so just shop around until you'll find someone who have the forms. The IT mall's (Pantip; Fortune) for example have them, but I don't know if they have the phone.

Just to update, MBK is now selling the US and Hong Kong versions of this phone between 21,900 - 24,000. I'm still waiting for the official release of the phone, but no one seems to know, including the Samsung retail shops. Speculating sometime in July...

18,900 from TGFone http://www.tgfone.com/showmodel.php?my_id=1357

The price is right!

I wonder if it's lagging scrolling through lists though ;)

Just to update, MBK is now selling the US and Hong Kong versions of this phone between 21,900 - 24,000. I'm still waiting for the official release of the phone, but no one seems to know, including the Samsung retail shops. Speculating sometime in July...

18,900 from TGFone http://www.tgfone.com/showmodel.php?my_id=1357

The price is right!

I wonder if it's lagging scrolling through lists though ;)

In most of the Youtube iPhone 4 - SGS2 comparison videos the iPhone looks very laggy, while the SGS2 is almost too quick. And obviously there is no comparing with the screens. It's just not fair to compare the iPhone with the SGS2; they're just not in the same category.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just purchased my Galaxy S II i9100T from Power buy and it was priced 18900 and they discounted 500thb for me and then I paid with my SCB credit card for another 6% off for a grand total of 17296thb which I pay in 4 equal monthly payments on my credit card. It also came with a free Samsung branded WEP450 bluetooth headset. I honestly asked for the i9100 and not the i9100T but when I got home just now I see they gave me the T model. I might go back in tomorrow and swap it for the non T model. After reading through this thread it might seem like the 3G freq limitations are software (firmware) based and not hardware based. Has this been confirmed yet? My intention was to ditch the included ROM and load it with cyanogen's rom which is now supporting Galaxy S2 Cyanogen. I don't want to go flashing it till I know that it's a software issue (that would be great) and not a hardware limitation ( )

It would be great of someone could confirm that for me. Also, does this thing have the NFC hardware support or not? I fully expected that it did and now I'm not so sure it does. Is that software disabled/enabled in the thai version or is it missing the hardware? How can we verify that the thai model sold here has the NFC hardware in it? I would be very disappointed to find out that the models being sold here are lacking the NFC hardware as even though it's of little use now I expect to be using it in the future and plan to keep this phone for a few years.

If anyone can clarify those 2 things it would be greatly appreciated. Alos, I have the droid thai fonts already but I'm wonder where I can find the Thai swype? I have the thai droidsan keyboard from the market but would love to have the thai swype as well just for the wife.

Thanks in advance....

• 3 months later...