Purchasing A Vehicle

Lobo4819

After perusing this and other subforums, it seems that buying a used car is one of the more challenging things you can do in LOS. Everything I read is horror stories or warnings, but it seems there is no straightforward way to accomplish such a purchase. Does one just wander the used car lots?

I am looking for a 4-seater small SUV or pickup, will even settle for a decent sedan, but don't want to buy new if I can help it. In other expat communities I have lived in, there seems to appear a reputable expat who helps coordinate the purchasing and paperwork, even helping in procurement, for a small fee.

Does anything of the sort exist in CM? If not, what is the process and paperwork for the cash purchase of an auto?

Thanks for any information.

I have a friend that traded in a car and paid some cash for a used vehicle through a car rental agency. It turned out that approximately 15 vehicles through this same rental agency were fraudulently acquired, and my friend ended up with a vehicle forged registration/ownership. Now he is embroiled in litigation.

I would not purchase a vehicle from any place other than a major dealership.

Edited by venturalaw

Beside the instructions on the Thai Motor vehicle forum, the advice we received was: contact many large established dealerships giving them your requirements for a used vehicle. With a large demand for new vehicles, there is reportedly a small market for 2-5 year old vehicles that are brought in for trade in. After contacting a dozen dealerships our phone rang like crazy with competitive offers, frequently with offers to bring the vehicle to us to view. And prices appeared reasonable compared to small lot and classified asking prices for comparable vehicles.

And when you decide on a vehicle, as part of the purchase agreement you and the seller can visit the moto transport office together. Plus it is, again only 'as I've heard', common practice to split the cost of transfer. And there is the possibility that a large dealership will have you kept sitting down in air con comfort, serving you tea and water whilst your paperwork is prepared.

Follow the instructions on the forum here that advices what paper work you need to have prepared, ie residency certificate.

I would stay clear of the tent dealers. Many of them turn back the odometers, do not disclose accidents, have problematic paperwork, etc. I would peruse cars sold by private parties. There are many websites in C.M. with listings from private parties. There are also several places where people park very nice cars for the day while they go to work and leave a for sale sign with their telephone number on top. That is how I bought my car. I arranged for the sellers to meet me at my mechanic's shop and he inspected the cars for me. He also pointed out which ones had multiple parties and/or multiple different owners in the blue book and advised me to avoid those. He also pointed out which cars had the odometers turned back (which turned out to be something like 40% of the cars!). One guy showed up with the car and the mechanic recognized him immediately as a crooked dealer who often advertised as a private seller. In the end I got a great car with very low original mileage and one owner.

The idea of a friendly foreigner who knows the field helping for a fee, of course, would threaten that foreigner's visa here in Thailand (unless he has a business visa for the purpose, very unlikely). We're not allowed to even do volunteer work, especially with any money around, with most visas. Still, asking the help of a knowledgeable friend (for free, of course) is a good tactic.

Some of us have settled upon the idea of a single previous owner, a private seller, perhaps a country-fellow going home. This is seen easily in the vehicle's Blue Book, where owners' names and dates of transfer can be seen.

For advertising, there's a church-based weekly classified listing for our town, I've heard, as well as Thai Visa classifieds or something called Baht....

Still, a good mechanic prior to sale is essential: Seems to me that some more of us should be able to suggest that expert or shop for a thoroughgoing check??? (Not that I have anything to say about above!) Such would be cheaper than buying from a dealer, I think, and a worthwhile investment, given prices for labor here.

The idea of going together to Land Transportation for the transfer of papers together with the owner (as opposed to having an established reputable dealer doing it, a handy alternative) is that at that facility, the engine and frame of the vehicle are confirmed for the purpose of transfer. Some say that after that check is the time for payment.

About seller's warranties, however, I do not know.

Edited by CMX

Don't pay before getting the paperwork done at the Land Transport office.

Don't even sell without getting the paperwork done at the Land Transport office.(if your buyer does not transfer the paperwork into his name, you continue to have liabilities related to the vehicle because it is registered to you)

*** I arranged for the sellers to meet me at my mechanic's shop and he inspected the cars for me. He also pointed out which ones had multiple parties and/or multiple different owners in the blue book and advised me to avoid those. He also pointed out which cars had the odometers turned back (which turned out to be something like 40% of the cars!). One guy showed up with the car and the mechanic recognized him immediately as a crooked dealer who often advertised as a private seller. In the end I got a great car with very low original mileage and one owner.

What a great tip...hadn't thought about this.

I bought my car from SURE who are allied with TOYOTA and have had no problems, they did all the paperwork and put the car up on the lift for me to get a good look underneath, I used the one near to Airport Plaza.

Dave