Marriage Process In Thailand

Is the marriage visa the same requirements for support of thai kids.....either 400k in bank or 40k a month income ??

The extension based on marriage is the same as for based on kids. Officially it is an extenson based on being a family member of a Thai antional.

A friend wishes to change from his current visa status to a marriage visa....current status is ...not sure....but he works 4 weeks away and 2 weeks here.

He is not currently on marriage or child support visas.

Can he change easily enough with all the correct papaerwork and choose either the 400k in bank or 40k a month option ??

He was apparently told at immigration he must have the 400k in bank....he was also told if he does not have the 400k it will cost him 20k under the table to get it.

He would likely be better getting a multi entry non immigrant O visa from KL (only need show of 100k in funds) as this will provide easy travel (no re-entry permits required) and no need to visit Immigration for anything. After he retires or is here for more than 90 days at a time is when extensions of stay are more attractive.

The documents must be registered with the MFA in Bangkok (but a translation company should be able to provide that service for a fee). Have no idea what Chinese Consulate might require.

Thanks. I wanted to avoid going to BKK and getting it all handled in CM.

He would likely be better getting a multi entry non immigrant O visa from KL (only need show of 100k in funds) as this will provide easy travel (no re-entry permits required) and no need to visit Immigration for anything. After he retires or is here for more than 90 days at a time is when extensions of stay are more attractive.

He does not wish to travel and retirement is a long way away.

He works in Laos and most times comes back through Non Khai ?? I think it is and the Immigration office there is easy for him to deal with.

If he works in Laos he is traveling every time he leaves and returns (that is my point) and only requires a multi entry non immigrant O visa. He can not easily extend for marriage as that requires being in Thailand 30 day later and he would likely be in Laos from the work schedule you provided.

If a yearly trip to KL is too far suspect he could obtain in Savannakhet.

His reasons for not wanting to travel are his own....but suspect same me as I would not want to HAVE TO fly somewhere every 12 months specifically just to get a visa.

Anyway.....regardless of his reasons and what he has now.....his only question is does applying for a marriage visa require one or the other...400k in bank or 40k a month.......as he was told by immigration he needed the 400k only, they never ever mentioned the 40k......40k would be much easier for him to organise than the other.

As for the 30 day thing.....I would imagine he might be able to wrangle a day or 2 off earlier...or just go in to pick it up a few days late than the 30 days.....especially if he shows travel and work commitments.

Don't you need proof of income when marrying a Thai national in Thailand whether living here or not or am I remembering that wrong ? Just incase the OP needs to show this as well.

A foreigner marrying in Thailand (to a Thai or non-Thai national) needs to show his income. There is no minimum income requirement.

Don't you need proof of income when marrying a Thai national in Thailand whether living here or not or am I remembering that wrong ? Just incase the OP needs to show this as well.

A foreigner marrying in Thailand (to a Thai or non-Thai national) needs to show his income. There is no minimum income requirement.

got married last month , didn't have to show proof of income on the Thai side not even asked how much i earned .... my embassy just asked my wife what was my income and asked me what was my wife's income.... as part of the questionaire

Yes the stat dec I did yesterday tells you to state annual income.

They have an example there of what to actually write on the stat dec.

On the thai ministry website for mailing in documents for authentication...the download button does not work for the form.

firstly thanks for all the replies.

heres some more info,

i spoke with a lawyer (family friend) who put me in touch with someone regarding visa advice.

orginally i planned on getting married and then applying for a partner visa, however i was told that it would be better to apply for a tourist visa first (for many reasons)

So we haven't got married yet, all the paper work and everything is in order but we are going to put it off for a few months.

recently i got quoted by law firm who would handle the visa application for us, the sum was too large (imo) so we've decided to do it on our own..

any pro tips/advice you could share please let us know here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/472682-applying-for-a-tourist-visa-for-a-thai-going-to-australia/page__p__4469142#entry4469142

thank you

Edited by mike404045