Looking For A "Pain-Free" Dentist In Chiang Mai

connda

I went to a dental appointment today at a dental clinic I have used in the past with mixed results. I asked to have them do a deep periodontal cleaning which my dentist in the US recommended that I have done yearly. I explained to them that I needed to have Novocain injections prior to the cleaning. I know from past experience that the deep cleaning, for me, is extremely painful as they clean the root surfaces under the gum line. When I asked for Novocain the dentists looked at me like I was from a different planet. She called in the front desk manager who again asked what I wanted. I told her I wanted to be numbed for the treatment. More confusion followed. They talked between themselves in Thai which I was unable to follow, and then they decided that I should be seen by a "senior" dentist at a later date.

This isn't the first time I've run into this issue with Thai dentists. It seems that every time I ask to be numbed, I get the same confused, perplexed looks and nervous laughter from the dentists and their assistants -- and it happened again today. Why?

The bottom line here -- I need to find a dentist in this area who understands that some individual, like me, experience immense pain during what may seem, to them, to be minor procedures. Now, I don't understand why an individual with a doctorate in medicine or dentistry can't fathom that some people have lower pain thresholds than others. It's a medical fact. But I'm tired of having to explain over and over that I want to be completely numb before any dental work is done in my mouth. I'm well over 50, I've had a significant amount of work done in my mouth during my life, and I know exactly what hurts me. So, I'm looking for a new dentist that has the consideration and understanding to take care of the pain issue without arguing with me or trying to make me out like I'm some sort of an idiot. I'm done with arrogant, sadistic dentists. The 10 minutes it takes to numb me should a no-brainer to any competent dentist, and once I'm numb I'm a very compliant patient.

So can anyone recommend a quality dentist in Chiang Mai who actually understands and practices pain management?

Thanks! :D

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Connda,

Empathy is: dental work, for some reason, more than any other type of medical whatever, used to always send our human psyche into some form of primal terror.

Several years ago, we were treated at the Chiang Mai Dental Hospital, on the Superhighway (first ring road), by an exceptionally kind dentist named Dr. Kraiwit.

If he's still there, we'd recommend him very highly. Yes, he used novocain as standard practice. In fact, he performed a root-canal using novocain/procaine only: something the then-only-human-form of us had never experienced, and never thought we could handle.

Dr. Kraiwit is a very serious yogi, and meditator, and that really comes through in his "presence."

We also have had dental work done at Grace Clinic, and they always used novocain/procaine; at Grace nitrous-oxide is an option, and is expensive.

to your health ! regards, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Pain management? :unsure:

The last time I had a filling replaced here I had to argue at length with the dentist to give me anesthetic injections. He absolutely did not want to give the injections, telling me that "Thai people don't usually get injections" and "I don't think you will feel much pain".

When I lived in the Czech Republic and needed to replace a filling, the dentist had the drill inside my mouth when I heard the sound I grabbed her wrist. I said hey I need injections before you can do that. She actually laughed at me and said "you must be an American" and "Czech people don't usually use injections." I had to argue with her to give me some injections.

How anyone in any country of the world would to go to the dentist and be in so much discomfort is beyond me. Especially in the 21st Century when medicine has progressed to the point of being able to undergo dental surgery without discomfort. Most Thais I know have never had an injection at the dentist. I just don't get it.

BTW, I don't think that they have used 'Novocaine' for many years now.

Not all americans hate pain at the dentist's office.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Dean1953,

Yes, you're right, the U.S. does include so many different groups, such as the Iroquois, the Cherokee, the Athabascan, and the Masochists.

best, ~o:37;

I think you could learn to ask for your pain medication in Thai. I can imagine a lot of discussion by Thais to someone who asked to be 'numbed' :)

I think you could learn to ask for your pain medication in Thai. I can imagine a lot of discussion by Thais to someone who asked to be 'numbed' :)

If a trained dentist doesn't understand a request in English for numbing the area first, then my guess is that he/she wouldn't understand a more complicated request.

Edit: I had deep cleaning done by Dr. Jarunee when she was at Grace and once at Impress. We have an understanding and she uses as much anaesthetic as I need.

Edited by uptheos

If a trained dentist doesn't understand a request in English for numbing the area first, then my guess is that he/she wouldn't understand a more complicated request.

Edit: I had deep cleaning done by Dr. Jarunee when she was at Grace and once at Impress. We have an understanding and she uses as much anaesthetic as I need.

Thanks. I've heard about Grace by a number of people inside and outside of this forum. I believe I will go check them out. I appreciate the replies!!!

Forget the other replies. Go to elite smile. I'm currently going through 150000 baht of work, and not much pain yet. I raise my hand if I feel ANYTHING and they inject me more. I love it. Well, I don't, but I endure it, and they are so nice. They understand a wimp like me n u. :-) couldn't recommend them more.....

The last time I saw Dr Jarunee at Empress was to have a filling replaced. She told me it wasn't very deep and she didn't think I needed a needle. After about two minutes of drilling I stopped her and asked for a needle. She gave it to me immediately.

As I've said in other posts, I've fallen asleep in the dental chair while Dr Jarunee did a root canal.

Well, i dropped in to check out Elite Smile. The front desk staff were fluent English speakers. That was a good start! I made an appointment to get two chipped teeth repair and a filling replaced that had been done less than two years ago by my previous dentist. The female dentist that I saw was great - Dr. Kessanee. Reminded me of my dentist back in the US. Very professional. All the work was on my front teeth The work was beautifully done. And I didn't have to have a discussion with Dr. Kessanee about anesthetics. I asked for a shot and got it. I'm very happy with the staff at this dentist office.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions. I picked Elite primarily because it was walking distance from where I live.

Thats my dentist too. She's amazing. A really nice lady. And she knows whats she's doing. Im not completely pain free, but I have an awful lot of work going on. Elite stood out over Grace in the Thaivisa search, through peoples experiences, and word of mouth. I nearly went to Grace, but Im very happy with Elite. They torture me, but in a nice way. :)