Do You Tip At 7-Eleven?

WinnieTheKhwai

Yesterday while at a downtown 7-Eleven I noticed a 'Tip Box' near the cash register. At first I thought '<deleted>?!' but after thinking about it I now think it makes sense.

First of all I sometimes hear from people for whom anything smaller than 20 baht, less than $1 is simply not worth carrying around; so that could be easily deposited in the tip box.

Secondly, 7-Eleven staff these days provide a whole lot of extra services. By the time they're done with me, they probably deserve that 10 baht more than the bargirl around the corner who does far less real work for a living. For example, the 7-Eleven girl will microwave my Footlong-Bite-Cheese, then cut it in bite sized pieces on a cutting board before adding it into a small bag for me. When she's done with that, I hand her my cell phone so she can top up my balance by entering the 1-2-Call code; I always mess that up. Next I pay some of my bills, this is really a great service, meaning you don't have to hike to telephone and electricity offices.

By this time there's usually quite a line behind me, but the 7-Eleven cashier has really provided a great service with a smile. So.. when paying with a 20 baht note for the can of coke I also purchased I can easily imagine feeling tempted to deposit the returned 7 baht change into the tip box.

What do you think; yay or nay?

• Like 2

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think it's good service that deserves reward then offrer a tip! Simple really. I just don't like places that provide poor service and expect a tip.

Another question you could add to this is do you still tip when you get a bill and service charge is included? Some say yes, some no!

To answer that question directly…..No I have not been leaving a tip, truth is I don't think I've had service that would make me feela tip was in order, I've always picked me stuff, plonked it on the counter….and paid. I do leave tips, just not every time I take my money out!

'WinnieTheKhwai' you hear some say; "anything smaller than 20 baht, less than $1 is simply not worth carrying around" It's no wonder that Thais think farang are dumb!

Edited by Tonto21

Not so sure.

I think that to some extent that we all take 7-11 for granted. Admittedly not all of us realize the full range of services that they offer and some branches can be more Customer service than others. Still, on the whole WTW gets my vote as i am a high-end user and 99 per cent of the time find the staff friendly, willing and over and above. Plus on every corner.

I think it is a good idea. From my memories, 7-11 staff make about 25 baht per hour. ;)

7-11 workers are among the best paid shop assistants in Thailand.

But they do need to have completed high school education to get the job.

And they do fulfill a valuable place in Thai society, namely forcing all the local 'Mom and Pop' stores out of business.

Edited by sarahsbloke

I think it is a good idea. From my memories, 7-11 staff make about 25 baht per hour. ;)

7-11 workers are among the best paid shop assistants in Thailand.

But they do need to have completed high school education to get the job.

And they do fulfill a valuable place in Thai society, namely forcing all the local 'Mom and Pop' stores out of business.

Correct,

tip a shop worker :lol:, do you do that in your own country ? NO, For <snip> sake OP, Learn to mix with Thai society, do they tip, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :rolleyes: BUT, if you want folk to think your a film star then splash it about. :)

• Like 1

Chiang Mai is one of the most westernized places in Thailand I know...

Why a tip box at 7/11? Is satisfying service not a part of the job? Do you tip the som tam vendor? Do you tip the cashier at Tesco?

For regular service in restaurants I try not to tip.

When you're out all day and you have to tip every friendly face and gesture...well, it's very tiring...

I have 2 organisations I donate to monthly and I like to give money to streetperformers, but I find a tip box at a mini-supermarket ridiculous.

And LJW: I really don't want to feel responsable for the fact that they earn 25 baht per hour... let's not compare Thai standard with our homecountry standard.

Maybe a bit crude, but just my 2 bahts...

• Like 1

Why a tip box at 7/11? Is satisfying service not a part of the job? Do you tip the som tam vendor? Do you tip the cashier at Tesco?

When you're out all day and you have to tip every friendly face and gesture...well, it's very tiring...

I have 2 organisations I donate to monthly and I like to give money to streetperformers, but I find a tip box at a mini-supermarket ridiculous.

And LJW: I really don't want to feel responsable for the fact that they earn 25 baht per hour... let's not compare Thai standard with our homecountry standard.

You are right, they are paid to take care, or take money from the customers, salary is of NO concern to the customer. :)

Sorry,

Still not so sure. admittedley I have no idea of minumum wage only what i pay me own employees > more so I cannot compare what 7-11 employee earn in relation to industry average.

In my own case - perhaps i am an easy target. My daughter had to work in convenience shops and restaurants to get herelf through Higher eductation. Many time she would give over and above Customer Service not just in convenience shop but restaurant and she was on less than minimum wage and lived on tips. Sometimes tightwads leave the equiv. of one baht. You not even leave that ? Sorry Shame on you !

• Like 1

Sorry,

Still not so sure. admittedley I have no idea of minumum wage only what i pay me own employees > more so I cannot compare what 7-11 employee earn in relation to industry average.

In my own case - perhaps i am an easy target. My daughter had to work in convenience shops and restaurants to get herelf through Higher eductation. Many time she would give over and above Customer Service not just in convenience shop but restaurant and she was on less than minimum wage and lived on tips. Sometimes tightwads leave the equiv. of one baht. You not even leave that ? Sorry Shame on you !

You must be kidding me... I'd be more ashamed to leave 1 baht, don't do it or do it right.

I think we all should be free to do what feels right and leave the judging to the judge. Live and let live.

tip a shop worker :lol:, do you do that in your own country ? NO, For <snip> sake OP, Learn to mix with Thai society, do they tip, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :rolleyes: BUT, if you want folk to think your a film star then splash it about. :)

It was most likely a member of Thai society who placed the tip box there. :whistling:

To answer that question directly…..No I have not been leaving a tip, truth is I don't think I've had service that would make me feela tip was in order, I've always picked me stuff, plonked it on the counter….and paid. I do leave tips, just not every time I take my money out!

'WinnieTheKhwai' you hear some say; "anything smaller than 20 baht, less than $1 is simply not worth carrying around" It's no wonder that Thais think farang are dumb!

:thumbsup: Kwai. Keep your american habits where it belongs. Nobody gives tip in Thailand. -_-

:thumbsup: Kwai. Keep your american habits where it belongs. Nobody gives tip in Thailand. -_-

You mean you also don't tip when you check into a hotel and some dude takes your bags to your room? Or tip a taxi driver (mostly Bangkok)? Surely you tip in bars and restaurants? :blink:

hell no! and neither should anybody else. that's just plain stupid.

+1

It spreads. I've seen a tip box at a dentist's office. Do you tip a lawyer? How about the cashier at Ram hospital or Robinsons?

I like to eat. Maybe I should go out in the fields and give the farm workers some extra money. But then what about the fishermen?

I can see their point. If falangs don't care about money and like to give it away, they might as well give it to me.

And me

And me

i agree with no tipping in thailand. it's really annoying somewhere in thailand where they actually expect tip from you and if you don't tip they talk bs about you in thai(don't understand that some of us cheap charlies understand thai).

luckily chiang mai is still one of the places in thailand where they don't call you an asshol_e if you don't tip and please, let's keep it that way.

tip only on very few occasions, i.e when somebody carries your bags to your hotel room or something similar. not in 7-11, restaurants, bars, gas stations etc.

I have lived here 27 years, so I have no idea about wages at my 'other' Home. But the wages paid here generally suck for anyone working here at such jobs. Without family support, it is a tough place to make a decent living, :)

:thumbsup:

And Kwai, keep your American habits where they belong. Nobody give tip in Thailand.

I tip every one, I even tip the guys that take the rubbish. I hate having all them small notes packing my wallet don't you.rolleyes.gif Remember we expats have a reputation to keep up, as being soft in the head and loaded. So keep chucking it about and you will win lots of real friends here.

Sorry,

You must be kidding me... I'd be more ashamed to leave 1 baht, don't do it or do it right.

I think we all should be free to do what feels right and leave the judging to the judge. Live and let live.

A one baht tip is an insult.

Did you really mean to write that?

I'm not American, but like to tip if I get good service, and I also spit my dummy out if I get bad service. If bad service turns good after my wobbler, then I also tip, as they deserve it for putting things right.

I'm first to complain, so its only right that it goes the other way too, and I think tipping is a good way to show appreciation.

tip a shop worker :lol:, do you do that in your own country ? NO, For fuc_ks sake OP, Learn to mix with Thai society, do they tip, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. :rolleyes: BUT, if you want folk to think your a film star then splash it about. :)

It was most likely a member of Thai society who placed the tip box there. :whistling:

Indeed,one at the receiving end.

You mean you also don't tip when you check into a hotel and some dude takes your bags to your room? Or tip a taxi driver (mostly Bangkok)? Surely you tip in bars and restaurants? :blink:

Sorry to make you disappointed. But , no I don't.

Edit. And in my opinion, this troll attempt is very lame, considering your long experience on this forum. :D

Edited by Semper