Do You Tip At 7-Eleven?

WinnieTheKhwai

I agree with one of the previous posters. If its something you would have happily tipped for in another country, then why not here? When you first decided not to tip, did you look at the persons skin color, eye structure, height, to remind yourself not to tip "them". Tipping in Thailand is a reality. People that work in certain professions do actually work for tips. This is not saying that they do not receive a salary but rather they work harder and their lives do depend on the tips.

The lady at the local noodle/rice shop won't expect it, but the bellboy at the hotel will.

And before anyone goes to the "Thai's don't tip" in the correct situations, they absolutely do.

:thumbsup: Kwai. Keep your american habits where it belongs. Nobody gives tip in Thailand. -_-

You mean you also don't tip when you check into a hotel and some dude takes your bags to your room? Or tip a taxi driver (mostly Bangkok)? Surely you tip in bars and restaurants? :blink:

Sorry to make you disappointed. But , no I don't.

Edit. And in my opinion, this troll attempt is very lame, considering your long experience on this forum. :D

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with one of the previous posters. If its something you would have happily tipped for in another country, then why not here? When you first decided not to tip, did you look at the persons skin color, eye structure, height, to remind yourself not to tip "them". Tipping in Thailand is a reality. People that work in certain professions do actually work for tips. This is not saying that they do not receive a salary but rather they work harder and their lives do depend on the tips.

The lady at the local noodle/rice shop won't expect it, but the bellboy at the hotel will.

And before anyone goes to the "Thai's don't tip" in the correct situations, they absolutely do.

:thumbsup: Kwai. Keep your american habits where it belongs. Nobody gives tip in Thailand. -_-

You mean you also don't tip when you check into a hotel and some dude takes your bags to your room? Or tip a taxi driver (mostly Bangkok)? Surely you tip in bars and restaurants? :blink:

Sorry to make you disappointed. But , no I don't.

Edit. And in my opinion, this troll attempt is very lame, considering your long experience on this forum. :D

So your back home in good 'ol US of A, buy some gas, go to pay and decide on a hot dog, so now you must tip the cashier. :rolleyes:

A little off the subject but I really could go for a gas station hot dog right about now.... And who are you kidding, people in the US that work in shops don't do ANYTHING! If anything, thats another reason to make me want to give tips for all the services here.

So your back home in good 'ol US of A, buy some gas, go to pay and decide on a hot dog, so now you must tip the cashier. :rolleyes:

A little off the subject but I really could go for a gas station hot dog right about now.... And who are you kidding, people in the US that work in shops don't do ANYTHING! If anything, thats another reason to make me want to give tips for all the services here.

Think your confusing a smile and no smile whilst taking your money. A job is a job, here a smile, you want to tip for a smile. Your happiness with a LOS smile is taking over your wallet. :huh:

A little off the subject but I really could go for a gas station hot dog right about now....

I hope that I do not upset anyone by mentioning that Butter is Better and the Duke's now have excellent all beef hotdogs. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ulysses G.

A little off the subject but I really could go for a gas station hot dog right about now....

I hope that I do not upset anyone by mentioning that Butter is Better and the Duke's now have excellent all beef hotdogs. :thumbsup:

:huh:

Are you a co-owner? :rolleyes:

And you think I keep track of who's lifes depend on tips...? Com' on, I can hardly think in the tropical heat, definetely not interested in thinking who lives from tips and who doesn't...

But the wages paid here generally suck for anyone working here at such jobs. Without family support, it is a tough place to make a decent living,

Yes, that is the strange paradox here,on the surface one may have the impression that this society (CM) is quit affluent. Yet in reality it is difficult to make a living here.....perhaps more people have a tip box than we realize.

In CM tipping seems common place,even among Thais. I consider tips to be 'earned' not just 'given'....

for example, a few days ago I had a 21,000 baht print job done and the boy who processed the order went the distance to build a shipping box et... did a very good job, I gave him like 150 baht, he politely declined, I insisted, we both smiled and he accepted. He performed a service that I valued ,of which was not really part of his job to do so. Not a big tip by no means but was perhaps half day wage. Luckily 'service' is still something that can be found in this part of the world, where I come from it has all but disappeared.

The OP's post is very interesting.

While I hadn't thought of tipping at the 7-Eleven, I can see where it might be justified. As he described it, the clerk did provide at least one service (or more) for him that was probably not in the job description. I doubt that topping up someone's phone is in the line of duty. It wasn't something he did just to reward her for doing her job, no matter how well she may have done it.

As for tipping generally, I do it, though I don't do it because it is expected and bad service will not get tipped. The fact that I tip and probably overtip on occasion, probably has something to do with my early life. After my parents divorced, my mom raised my brother and I as a single parent. Among other jobs, she waited tables to provide for us. Were it not for tips she received in those jobs, I probably would not have eaten quite as many meals as I did. In addition, I think it helps keep my karma in balance. Life has given me back way more that any amount of tips I have left over the years.

David

I think the observation that if you tip someone for a service in your home country, then you probably should tip someone in that same situation here is good.

However, here I ride song thaews several times daily and usually don't tip while I would tip the rare few times I took a taxi in my home country. On the rare occasion I tip a song thaew driver, it's because the traffic was heavy or the distance long and he didn't ask for more than the usual fare up front and/or the song thaew was especially clean, nice and new and/or the driver invited me to sit up front and enjoy his aircon without trying to pick me up (yeah, that's happened so often, I am beginning to wonder if the only reason I'm learning Thai is to converse with songthaew drivers looking to score with an older western woman).

Sometimes I tip at a street food stall if the vendor is especially nice and cheerful and patient with my mangled attempts at conversing in Thai. I definitely tip if they remember my order from last time. It really seems to brighten their day to give them an extra 5 or 10 baht.

I give a tip and I'm not American. It's not a culture thing for me, as in the UK, i only really tipa taxi or the odd restaurant )only the odd ones (

Here, being married to a Thai, means I am aware of the low wages, so I tend to tip where I can.

I give a tip and I'm not American. It's not a culture thing for me, as in the UK, i only really tipa taxi or the odd restaurant )only the odd ones (

Here, being married to a Thai, means I am aware of the low wages, so I tend to tip where I can.

And the low prises. :rolleyes:

Except these few words from the OP, while at a downtown 7-Eleven . Where is the CM connection? :rolleyes:

Downtown = Downtown Chiang Mai. I've never seen it anywhere else, and in general (as others have noticed) tipping in general may be on the rise in Chiang Mai. Many places have a tip box at least, also Wawi Coffee and many other places.

And after dropping your spare change in their tip box... do you wai the staff ?!?

They wai me. Then I ask when they get off work. Had a convenience store girl for a gig for a while in the past. Their varying work hours work very well for casual relationships, as they can have their time off at any hour when planned in advance. Convenient.

There's one more comment I'd like to make and that is that the store location makes a HUGE difference in work load for the staff. Compare for example a 7-Eleven downtown near Yupparat college with one on Loi Kroh.. And then there's 7-Elevens at Walking Street Pattaya.. you have no idea what comes walking in there at any time of the day and night! Staff working there really need people skills.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So, if we exclude the American posters. How many of you give a tip for your normal

purchases? :rolleyes:

Not sure why you try to stir in anti-American sentiment, repeatedly. Americans also don't normally tip for normal purchases. They would tip for services, as would many other people in the world.

I think it is a good idea. From my memories, 7-11 staff make about 25 baht per hour. ;)

7-11 workers are among the best paid shop assistants in Thailand.

But they do need to have completed high school education to get the job.

And they do fulfill a valuable place in Thai society, namely forcing all the local 'Mom and Pop' stores out of business.

I have mixed feelings about this topic BUT i DONT tip at the seven or any other general shop etc, And neither does my thai g/f......

Wages, used to be up until lately 150 bht for an 8 hour shift,,,(now 200 bht),,,Please note......the normal shift is more like 10 hours a day as they make the employees hang around before shift start and keep them waiting an hour after time, to wait for the jobsworth who has to tot up the till and deduct any spillages/breakages off individual employees daily wage (yep the workers have to pay for accidents)....the breakages thing usually happens every other day.

They say you get your unifrom for free, but there is allways 500 bht a month taken off an employees wage every month until they finish their employment there..at which time that amount should be returned...

As for the tip box, that is NOT for the employees to share..........it is for charity, for the needy, providing the manager lets it get there......

So in general at the end of the month for 60+hours a week at the 150 baht rate they are lucky to get 3400 bht a month and they still have to pay tax on that..!

Draw your own conclusions of whether or not it is a higher shop wage or not...but remember it ain`t `a TIP BOX

The employees dont ask for tips as they shouldn`t, but what gets my tits up is when i go to any goverment office it is normally asked for....

How do i know about the 7-11 ? My thai g/f of 4 years has just finished working for them....on the shop floor.

NB - "namely forcing all the local 'Mom and Pop' stores out of business"....at least the 7-11 dont operate a double pricing rule when a farang walks in, as all the items are priced, not like Mom and Pop...ripping off is the norm there.

As for the tip box, that is NOT for the employees to share..........it is for charity, for the needy, providing the manager lets it get there......

Draw your own conclusions of whether or not it is a higher shop wage or not...but remember it ain`t `a TIP BOX

Are you sure? They may sometimes also have a separate box for donations to charity, but that's not what this was. I'll go ask tomorrow to find out for sure.

NB - "namely forcing all the local 'Mom and Pop' stores out of business"....at least the 7-11 dont operate a double pricing rule when a farang walks in, as all the items are priced, not like Mom and Pop...ripping off is the norm there.

Right. :) He did mention this as a good thing. Which it is. :thumbsup:

No never would give tips there but sometimes I give them a chocolate bar or a bag crisps etc, one girl used to drag me trough the shop to tell me what she likes to eat, until I putted a brake on it because at the end she did it with every visit, took '7-girls' out for a diner sometimes they became good friends, there are some real cute '7-girls' and usually the boys are OK too. Wonder why so many overweight girls working there..

I never used to tip a thai message but I'm go to the local places now where it's 80 to 100 per hour and mostly the thai people tip. I tip if it's quality now but not every time. 20bht b standard.

Lots of places have charity boxes, like mc ds, 7 etc (r u sure it wasn't a charity box?) Under 5bht is a pain in the arse to carry and would drop in a tip box; I often drop that and larger in the charity boxes.

I hate the expectation of a tip though! Like handing u a beer and giving u your change on a tray. There should be something special to warrant a tip.

My thai gf just laughed when i asked her if she gave a tip at 7-11. She said the tip box goes to charity not to the staff. Rizla has the best info.

It's not a charity box. I'll take a picture this evening and ask if I can join the staff party when they go have a piss-up on the tip money. ;)

In my own case - perhaps i am an easy target. My daughter had to work in convenience shops and restaurants to get herelf through Higher eductation. Many time she would give over and above Customer Service not just in convenience shop but restaurant and she was on less than minimum wage and lived on tips. Sometimes tightwads leave the equiv. of one baht. You not even leave that ? Sorry Shame on you !

Did you really mean to write that?

I think that you have missed the point of my post.

Yes, leaving a tip like that if you have received good service and food in a restaurant is an insult. I can't remember how many were in the party, certainly a few - but that was the tip that my daughter received. I acknowledge that It is up to every individual, depending on their own incination and the circumstanaces, as to whether they tip at all and as to how much. But in many cases in the sevice industry the employees are on or receive below minimum wage.

With regard to 7-11's. If I do pay utility bills there and food is prepared for me - plus the service is good. If I had some small change left and there was a tip box. I would put it into the box