How Do You Say "Steering Linkage" In Thai?

gregb

I have had a problem with my steering linkage for the past few months, and it has recently gotten unbearable at any speed over 50. Turning left feels like the front wheel is going to come off, and the vehicle stability control sensor goes nuts. Obviously, I need to get this resolved.

I tried to explain this to the guy at the local tire shop to ask if he could fix it and if not, then where to go, but the guy was a dolt and I couldn't get my point across.

Does anyone have any idea what the correct terminology is to explain the problem to a Thai mechanics? This is on a Toyota Altis if that matters. I refuse to take the car back to the dealer. Last time I brought it there with a rough engine, they tore the whole engine down and then wanted 50,000 baht to put it back together, claiming all the valves were bad. I actually had to tow my car out of the dealer and bring it to another shop, who looked at the valves, washed one in a detergent, handed it to me along with a brand new one, and asked "does this look bad to you?"

Unfortunately, that guy just does engines. I need to find someone else for this repair. So how do I state my problem in Thai?

steering rack = "rack poomalai"

Most mechanics will know this if you say it.

Since you have an Altis, I'd say you can just roll into a B-Quik or other service center and they will be able to find the problem. As you know, the Altis represents some 95%+ of taxis in Thailand so I'm sure they've seen this problem before and could fix it in short order. Once they lift the car a pull on the wheel will show whether or not there is play there and then from there they should be able to find exactly where it is occurring.

(I'm not a mechanic, but that's where I'd start if I were you)