Turn Right @ A Juntion While The Red Light Indicator For Turning Right'S On In Los?

dunkin2012

I mean the green light indicator for turning right is off. @ intersections

Can we do that in Thailand? like in Australia, (Left). But I have no idea for the UK.

Can you see the red lights for both L + R. If the Right side is still RED, can we turn?

image00s.jpg

Edited by dunkin2012

In Thailand we drive on the left, if you try to turn right at an intersection - against a Red light - you will be driving into the path of oncoming vehicles.

Many intersections have a sign saying - in Thai - "turn left at any time" (however many do not so be careful if you do not read Thai!).

Patrick

Nice to get straight answers on TV, huh?

The answer is: No.

Unless it's broken, which it often is where I live.

Or a cop waves you through. Which they often do where I live.

Edited by happyrobert

In Thailand we drive on the left, if you try to turn right at an intersection - against a Red light - you will be driving into the path of oncoming vehicles.

Many intersections have a sign saying - in Thai - "turn left at any time" (however many do not so be careful if you do not read Thai!).

Patrick

Wot he said, although now in Pattaya they have translated some of the signs to English

I mean the green light indicator for turning right is off. @ intersections

Can we do that in Thailand? like in Australia, (Left). But I have no idea for the UK.

Can you see the red lights for both L + R. If the Right side is still RED, can we turn?

image00s.jpg

Answer is no, even if there's no oncoming traffic unless a cop wave you through. In the rural parts, drivers usually ignore the lights, just make sure there's no cop around. In urban, same can be done but they like to hide in the corner after the turn, especially well known spots.

Turning right through red (against oncoming traffic) is never allowed) except in some odd-ball cases where there isn't any oncoming traffic, such as on the outside of the moat where you can turn right while staying on essentially the same road and where it's all one way traffic. Also possibly other places where it's all one way traffic such as driving past the big market towards Thapae Road and turning right. (The West side of Nawarat bridge which is an interesting intersection in that three sides are one-way, and where you cannot cross North-South or South-North) And potentially on roads where you drive on the right hand side instead of on the left, if those ever get traffic lights.

(I'm giving these mostly as an example of a traffic situation, I don't recall what the exact signs at those intersections say currently; those can and do change sometimes anyway.)

Turning left through red is usually allowed, unless there is a sign saying you have to wait for the light. (In Thai, usually but of course not that hard to read if you just learn the two simple characters for 'wait'). Some signs also indicate that turning left on red is specifically allowed, but those aren't very common. The more common sign would be the one saying it's not allowed. If there's no sign (most common) then you can turn left on

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

In some red-light intersections (no pun intended) you can even go straight while the light is red. Mostly on the left most lane. Check for signs written in Thai.

It's a dangerous practice, especially if you come from the right side and make a right turn, not knowing that traffic may still run on the left-most lane.

The OP may have been referring to the case where there is a round green signal illuminated, and a secondary green right-turn signal NOT illuminated, but which when illuminated, informs motorists that the traffic coming in the opposite direction has a red signal, and, subject to the usual rules about being aware of loonies ignoring the signals, it should be safe to turn right.

In the UK, in such a case, I believe it is legal to turn right, but ill-advised, as you will be crossing a presumably normally busy carriageway against priority.

To be honest, I don't even know if they have such signals in Thailand. I don't drive a car in Thailand...

SC

In some red-light intersections (no pun intended) you can even go straight while the light is red. Mostly on the left most lane. Check for signs written in Thai.

It's a dangerous practice, especially if you come from the right side and make a right turn, not knowing that traffic may still run on the left-most lane.

This applies only at a "T" intersection where in the left lane you may go straight ahead when safe. In this instance again you are not crossing a lane on your left.

thank you all

k. travelmann , k.p_brownstone,k.happyrobert,k. PattayParent,k.mirth, k.Khwai,k.dominik,k.SC,k.bunta

Didnt' make myself very clear in the OP.. Apologies!!!

anyhow got your shared experiences dring in LOS. Haha... Fun? I know need lots of patience though.

If we are in the situation as in the attached pict. Turn Right? Some you guys said "NOPE". and if the new additional info. as in the attached pict. given.

what will the answer be? seen some of Thai drivers made their u-turns and hardly seen them turned right unless it's late at night. Then many times i've seen motorcyclists turned right plus made U-turns.

i know for sure these are not permitted. DON'Ts

but Have seen many in Thailand.

1. riding + driving against on-coming traffic,wrong way" mostly motorcyclists + many times cars, even trucks

2. motorcyclists keep on riding while the Red traffic light is on. (many in Pattaya). mostly mostly motorcyclists + number of times cars and trucks

3.Just Red or just Yellow. (Seen many) both

post-124005-0-65195900-1306556475_thumb.

thank you all

k. travelmann , k.p_brownstone,k.happyrobert,k. PattayParent,k.mirth, k.Khwai,k.dominik,k.SC,k.bunta

anyhow got your shared experiences dring in LOS. Haha... Fun? I know need lots of patience though.

If we are in the situation as in the attached pict. Turn Right? Some you guys said "NOPE". and if the new additional info. as in the attached pict. given.

what will the answer be? seen some of Thai drivers made their u-turns and hardly seen them turned right unless it's late at night. Then many times i've seen motorcyclists turned right plus made U-turns.

1. riding + driving against on-coming traffic,wrong way" mostly motorcyclists + many times cars, even trucks

2. motorcyclists keep on riding while the Red traffic light is on. (many in Pattaya). mostly mostly motorcyclists + number of times cars and trucks

Your attached? Again, no.

BUT-What's legal, what's allowed and what's done in this country are three entirely different things.

thank you all

Your attached? Again, no.

BUT-What's legal, what's allowed and what's done in this country are three entirely different things.

the same as described by StreetCowboy.

thank you........... happyRobot