Thai Police Given Orders To Shoot To Kill Hitmen On Blacklist

webfact

POLL RELATED VIOLENCE

49 candidates seek police protection

By The Nation

30156436-01.jpg

General says officers given shoot to kill orders against 75 men on blacklist

With pollrelated violence on the increase, some 49 candidates across the country have asked for police protection with five of these requests coming from three political parties in Bangkok.

Police yesterday issued a shoottokill warning for the 75 men blacklisted as career killers if they resist arrest or fail to turn themselves in before the July 3 deadline.

A task force of 300 police officers has been set up to track down these gunmen and members of their gangs.

"These officers have the authority to use drastic measures if there are any violent encounters during the manhunt," said Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen, director of an adhoc centre in charge of maintaining safety during the election.

"Surrender now to save yourselves while you still can. Police are authorised to push the limits to 'obtain you', and all officers will be wellarmed and in bulletproof vests when they approach you."

He added that none of the 75 gunmen on the list were former military or police officers, and that the gunforhire industry should be cracked as soon as one of the gunmen is nabbed. He said the career killers who tried to assassinate Pheu Thai MP Pracha Prasobdee two weeks ago were possibly linked to these 75 men.

Pongsapat added that 49 election candidates nationwide had filed requests for police protection, and that so far, 49 cops in uniform had been dispatched for the job. Five of the cops are from the Metropolitan Police Bureau; nine from Region 2; 11 from Region 3; 12 from Region 5; three from Region 6; eight from Region 7; and one from Region 8, he said. Pongsapat added that he was also thinking about sending a police bodyguard to a candidate in Narathiwat.

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police spokesman Pol MajGeneral Piya Uthayo refused to name the five candidates in Bangkok seeking police protection or where in the capital they were based. All he said was that three of the candidates hail from the Democrat Party, one from Pheu Thai and one from Bhum Jai Thai.

Another 150 officers will be given further training on VIP protection and put on stand by, while senior commanders nationwide would attend an Election Commission seminar next Monday to learn about electoral fraud and its prevention.

The officer also warned people against defacing election banners and hoardings, something that is being done extensively across the country. He said that violators will be subject to three years in prison and/or a Bt60,000 in fines. If executives of political parties are found to be masterminds behind the vandalism, their parties will face dissolution.

Meanwhile, Bueng Kum police said the gunfire attack on the Bangkok home of a Democrat Party canvasser might have been motivated by his blackmagic practises rather than his longstanding support for the party.

Police believe the attack was meant to threaten Jaroen Jehsaman rather than killing him. However, Jaroen said he had no conflicts with anybody and that the gunmen should have aimed at him while he was outside his home if they really wanted to kill him for his blackmagic spells.

Pongsapat, meanwhile, said that Jaroen might have angered other men's wives because he was making a living by casting spells for women who want to steal their husbands. "The shooting probably stemmed from his personal conflicts, not his political links," he added.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he has told police to investigate the attacks on Jaroen and Pracha.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-28

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be an interesting week end. I'd really like to se how our friends for the Thaksin basher brigade, who were so vocal to oppose Thaksin war on drug, are going to justify the "shoot to kill" order now that it comes from their friends.

We already watched their debacle regarding subsidized healthcare. Lets hear how Manager is going to spin this subject.

I'd really like to se how our friends for the Thaksin basher brigade, who were so vocal to oppose Thaksin war on drug, are going to justify the "shoot to kill" order now that it comes from their friends.

I unconditionally oppose extra-judicial executions (not the use of necessary force against dangerous people who resist law enforcement with potentially lethal violence) and believe that the Rule of Law must be an inviolate and absolute ideal. That doesn't change regardless of who is in power.

Now, let's see how many are killed. And how many are in fact not what they are accused of being. Because we know how Mr Thaksin did in those regards...

There are degrees of wrongdoing.

I'd really like to se how our friends for the Thaksin basher brigade, who were so vocal to oppose Thaksin war on drug, are going to justify the "shoot to kill" order now that it comes from their friends.

I unconditionally oppose extra-judicial executions (not the use of necessary force against dangerous people who resist law enforcement with potentially lethal violence) and believe that the Rule of Law must be an inviolate and absolute ideal. That doesn't change regardless of who is in power.

Now, let's see how many are killed. And how many are in fact not what they are accused of being. Because we know how Mr Thaksin did in those regards...

How can there be "degrees" of extra-judicial murder ??

It means that the 2003 War of drug was not a Thaksin thing but Siamese cultural. It's not a critic: the USA have death penalty, Thais have this squad.

If you click onto the link below it will show you that thousands were killed on the war on drugs, they were involved in this before Thaksin came into power. But now it has gotten out of control in the Golden Triangle and Thailand once more.

http://www.time.com/...2072544,00.html

How can there be "degrees" of extra-judicial murder ??

There can't be.

It means that the 2003 War of drug was not a Thaksin thing but Siamese cultural. It's not a critic: the USA have death penalty, Thais have this squad.

Absurd comparison.

You've forgotten a minor thing called "due process"/\.

It's going to be an interesting week end. I'd really like to se how our friends for the Thaksin basher brigade, who were so vocal to oppose Thaksin war on drug, are going to justify the "shoot to kill" order now that it comes from their friends.

We already watched their debacle regarding subsidized healthcare. Lets hear how Manager is going to spin this subject.

Did Thaksin publish a list of 2500 people that were the targets in the drug war?

Do the Democrats have anything to do with this, or is it a police action?

So just who decided on this policy? Was it by Government decree or has some bumptious policeman whose other activities probably wouldn't pass close inspection decided what should be done? I am well aware that PC Plod's knowledge of Thai law is negligible and his view is that he can make it up on the spot, but surely senior cops should know better. Oh dear, I forgot that I live in Dodge City. A certain ex Police Lt.Col said he had been awarded a Ph.D in criminal law and he drove a horse and cart through the Thai codes.

Ah, guilty until proven innocent or shot dead. TIT

Your guilty before proven innocent in any country...that's what prosecutors are for.

Innocent before proven guilty is just an illusion and a facade to appear democratic.

Ah, guilty until proven innocent or shot dead. TIT

Your guilty before proven innocent in any country...that's what prosecutors are for.

Innocent before proven guilty is just an illusion and a facade to appear democratic.

This is rather a case of applying the rule of law, something not very well know around here.

The Police has never taken orders from the present government (Remember April/May 2010), so why would they now?

So just who decided on this policy? Was it by Government decree or has some bumptious policeman whose other activities probably wouldn't pass close inspection decided what should be done? I am well aware that PC Plod's knowledge of Thai law is negligible and his view is that he can make it up on the spot, but surely senior cops should know better. Oh dear, I forgot that I live in Dodge City. A certain ex Police Lt.Col said he had been awarded a Ph.D in criminal law and he drove a horse and cart through the Thai codes.

I was going to nominate you for the Sriracha John memorial prize for bringing Thaksin into a post where there is no possible relevance.

But on reflection you do touch on an important point, namely the dangers of a shoot to kill policy where there is no proper judicial process.

It will be interesting to see whether all those who condemned the Drugs war feel equally strongly about this murky exercise.

If you click onto the link below it will show you that thousands were killed on the war on drugs, they were involved in this before Thaksin came into power. But now it has gotten out of control in the Golden Triangle and Thailand once more.

http://www.time.com/...2072544,00.html

Indeed!

Brutal or not, the war on drugs slowed down production and distribution in Thailand.

Meth is the new Opium.

Historical fact: China, back in 1861, was brought down to its knees when Opium was smuggled in large scale from India and cheaply distributed. The aim: to degrade the social fabric and disrupt inner trade and create unrest to "persuade" China to open its ports to Western traders.

The birth of Hong Kong.

Those who think that there is nothing wrong with the social fabric of this country better wake up. Still and mostly a lovely place to live, inhabited by good and gentle people but, the writing is on the wall.

Of course, the usual suspects will parse and split hairs in these comments in order to say: that is not true! Alai goday!

"Facts are stubborn things" RR

Interesting that the police know these gunman. Why didn't they act earlier? Unbelievable that they know 75 killers and only go for them because of an election. Without the election the killers are free to do their job????

fatfather

how to determine that they are career killers?

similar strategy to Thaksin's war on drugs?

Police yesterday issued a shoottokill warning for the 75 men blacklisted as career killers if they resist arrest or fail to turn themselves in before the July 3 deadline.

I guess they must be in somebody's way. Time to buy a new ID now.......:jap:

Interesting that the police know these gunman. Why didn't they act earlier? Unbelievable that they know 75 killers and only go for them because of an election. Without the election the killers are free to do their job????

fatfather

Yes and beside them all you can get rid off your other enemies as well. People suddenly holding firearms after they'd died are always on the front page.

Oh Oh the damage's done..............:jap:

I wouldn't let the 2 on the right even hold a gun, at least the 2 on the left are trying to be serious about it...

30156436-01.jpg

I disagree. The two on the right will just be ineffective. Jokers.

The one on the left looks like he's on a mission from God. He's the dangerous one. Bodies everywhere. Half-arsed investigation. Inactive post. Comfy retirement. Cheers!

Edited by hanuman1