Can Any Teacher Please Help! Racism In Schools.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chinese was the dominant spoken language in Krung Thep a hundred years ago.

@'tamsom', if you have a link to your source for this information, I would be interested in taking a look at it, thnx...

@Gent Jim, I agree with you 100%, if reading the riot act to the teacher doesn't help, maybe have your daughter call her 'Khun Gek' if she looks Chinese (many teachers do)...

Our three boys have been labelled Luk kreungs, Falang noi, They've been called <deleted> and Pakis in the U.K when at our family home, never worried them or me or their mother. Racism is in the mind of those who wish to see it, not in the mind of the kids.

Probably a bit o;d fashioned, however would it not be a better idea if a child of 3.75 years of age was at home with mum, consider the school age in the U.K starts a 5 years of age there is no logical reason for the child to be at school, perhaps mummy and daddy are bored with their little one.

Perhaps daddy has forgotten just how old his other children were when they started school. Parenting is a challenge especially when one is on ones second family.

I know, I'm there and i'm still loving it, started family two at 48 years of age, action replay at 50 years of age and the last hit was at 55 years of age, now I'm 65 + and it's still a great fun time. My oldest child is 44 years old

Oh yes, i'm a teacher too, still teaching, because i love teaching. .

School kids keep you young,

Your own kids give you the one thing money can't buy . "POVERTY,''

Thank goodness for my occupational pension from the U.K. plus my state pension and my salary. better off now than Ive ever been and I was never badly paid in the U.K.

Sir

I do feel for you. As once was said by one of my teacher's " communication is more about what is heard, rather than what is said'.

In this case I doubt if anyone meant it negitvely and bear in mind we live in the worlds largest comsumer of skin whitening creme- we are looked up to because of nature!

If you find this offensive you should most definately say so. However I would do so softly,please bear in mind that ;

1- if you do raise this issue you will also be drawing attention to your child.

2- Some will simply ignore and dig their heel's in.

3- This new attention may draw negitve attention tor your daughter from both student's and teacher's- and this would be my cheif concern.

What I detest about the racisim here( and in most asian country's) here that unlike in the west it is almost accepted.

Plus it really does not make any sense when one considers that thai culture and its national 'religion" ( although it really is a philosophy) is really borrowed from the neighbour's and they happen to be the one's most often discriminated against.

I would make my child aware that it is probably not meant personaly and weigh up any actions you may take. This remind me of my mother complaining to my scout leader that I was called " a XXX jew". I really got it from the other children when the adult's left and was not too happy with my mother!

I wish you all the best. We should bear in mind that by and large this is still a wonderful place in which to live.

Teacher won't like being told what to do. Will go out of their way to pick on your child in other ways. It's a beautiful culture this one.

Sadly- I have seen this happen... and this would be my chief concern for this gentleman and more importantly his child .He actually should be very careful of what he is doing.

I cannot completley agree with your closing remark because I do think, and hope that the positive aspects of this country outweigh its negitve one.

But when it comes to racism, false pride,brainwashing,corruption,crazy policys,etc, one simply cannot be satisified and remain quiet.

I have experienced a lot of angry parents in my years in teaching here. I have not, however, run into a teacher who takes it out on the child. They may be a bit cool and careful, but they don't usually take it out on the child.

Thais go to great extent to avoid confrontation and a problem.

Also, there are a lot of complaints from parents and most teachers learn to take them in stride.

Not too long ago, we had an absolutely ballistic, insulting mother who publicly degraded a teacher for marking a math problem wrong. The problem was clearly wrong, the teacher had clearly made no mistake.

In the end the teacher left the profession, but I remember clearly this statement. "I don't understand this. The student is such a nice girl. How can she have a mother like that?"

The teacher never held it against the student.

since they have a word for mixed children ,I doubt your statement. Hearing the kids called Look Kreung would be common but farrang noi. I hardly doubt it. So I must call BS on that one. At a 100,000 baht kindergarten I doubt that also. Or are we to believe that you work there?

Nope.

The kids in question look almost completely western and are commonly called 'farang noi' instead of their name, by a number of staff. I either pick my niece up or drop her off most days and hear it probably once a week. I cannot actually recall hearing them call anyone leuk-krung (ลูกครึ่ง).

My kisa look very western and although no teacher has called them 'farang noi' this happens a lot in other places. People wouldn't really say leuk-kreung IME.

Our three boys have been labelled Luk kreungs, Falang noi, They've been called <deleted> and Pakis in the U.K when at our family home, never worried them or me or their mother. Racism is in the mind of those who wish to see it, not in the mind of the kids.

Probably a bit o;d fashioned, however would it not be a better idea if a child of 3.75 years of age was at home with mum, consider the school age in the U.K starts a 5 years of age there is no logical reason for the child to be at school, perhaps mummy and daddy are bored with their little one.

Perhaps daddy has forgotten just how old his other children were when they started school. Parenting is a challenge especially when one is on ones second family.

I know, I'm there and i'm still loving it, started family two at 48 years of age, action replay at 50 years of age and the last hit was at 55 years of age, now I'm 65 + and it's still a great fun time. My oldest child is 44 years old

Oh yes, i'm a teacher too, still teaching, because i love teaching. .

School kids keep you young,

Your own kids give you the one thing money can't buy . "POVERTY,''

Thank goodness for my occupational pension from the U.K. plus my state pension and my salary. better off now than Ive ever been and I was never badly paid in the U.K.

I find your post totally offensive. What on earth gives you the right to suggest, let alone state that 'mummy and Daddy are bored with their little one'.. You may have noticed that we are not in the UK and that entry level for children starts at 3.75. How that leads you to state what you have done is beyond me. It saddens me that with such an attitude you are still actively involved in teaching and even more so that my hard earned tax goes to fund your pension. If you find what i have just written out of order then take a large spoonful of your own medicine.

To all the other more civilised amongst you, thanks for your posts and advice. Just to recap on an earlier post I made, the matter was resolved very quietly and successfully. The teacher concerned was a stand in teacher from another school and was advised by another teacher that it was totally against school policy for any teacher or student to refer to another child using the term farang. It was all carried out sensitively and in a slightly jocular manner to ensure the teacher concerned got the message without feeling they had been bruised.

To the chap from the most powerful nation on earth !! The idea of bribing a teacher with a bag of jellybeans so that they do not use inappropriate language in a classroom is a little silly isn't it?

Edited by GentlemanJim

Tell that to the Thai Politicians who are handing out money for votes, as we speak.

And I didn't say anything about jellybeans. Isn't that the whole concept of bringing an apple for the Teacher, which goes back 100 years? You sounded a little 'distraught' in your OP and I was just trying to get your creative juices going. I don't come here to offend anyone.

But the main thing is you were able to work things out in an admirable, and diplomatic fashion. I will remember and gain from your experience. Way to go.