Password Rant

Namphonny

I can't believe that I am the only one with this problem. My computer is truly personal. I am the only one who uses it. No-one ever sees me using it. Many times each day I need to type passwords and I am quite conscientious about password security and never store passwords but what I want to know is - <deleted> am I not allowed to see what I am typing when there is no possibility of anyone else seeing it? I am old and doddery and make a mistake more often than not but I do not know this until I press Enter. Then I have to start all over again and perhaps make another mistake. Sometimes I even have to enter the user name again for example with TV login.

So, my question is this: can anyone direct me to a program that will allow me to see what I have typed instead of a row of dots or, if the row of dots is a must-have, provide another window so that I can see whether the characters are correct? I do not want a key-logger, I just want tosee what I am typing.

TIA.

Low tech method - type it into notepad, copy, paste and do not save the notepad file. ;) Also,most browsers have a 'remember password' feature so see if it is enabled.

Yes!

They do have a remember user name and password feature,

and I always check the boxes for saving on my Hotmail Account,

and guess what ?I have saved hundreds of times,but it never remembers,

so like the OP I have to type both in every time!

No problem with Thavisa,it remembers me every time.

Can't be my Computer,I have a genuine Vista installed.

Low tech method - type it into notepad, copy, paste and do not save the notepad file. ;) Also,most browsers have a 'remember password' feature so see if it is enabled.

Yes!

Hotmail indeed does not remember passwords, that's to protect users because Hotmail is the one most used from internetcafes

Hotmail indeed does not remember passwords, that's to protect users because Hotmail is the one most used from internetcafes

I believe most secure (https) sites browsers will not remember. At least for me, those are the only ones I have to enter a password each time.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the sites that I most use eg Bangkok Bank, because the window will not allow you to paste.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the sites that I most use eg Bangkok Bank, because the window will not allow you to paste.

You're right, I also use Bangkok Bank e-banking and have to manually type in user name and password. As I mentioned, suspect most secure (https) sites do not allow it as a safety feature.

Here's a little app I just wrote in C# it just hooks into the keyboard and displays what ever you type in,

just unzip it & run hit "start" when you want to see what is typed and "stop and clear" when you want to stop.

<enter> or <return> also clears the output. It's 100% safe, hope it helps.

Edit: can't seem to attach .zip file here, if any body wants a copy pm me.

Edited by kmj

Yes!

Thanks for all the replies confirming that Hotmail does not save Passwords or User names.

Having said that its bloody silly to invite users to save,when its not going to save anyway.

Thanks also.

I agree with the comments above but can perhaps understand the need for security of the Hotmail accounts. What I cannot understand is how Microsoft can get away with denying a user of a PERSONAL computer the choice of seeing or not seeing what they are typing. In my efforts to Google a solution I noticed that there is a court action pending on this very issue on the grounds that it violates an amendment of the American constitution.

Be that as it may, I am afraid that I still do not have a solution to my problem and with Bangkok Bank it is the worst case scenario because a mistake wipes out the user name and I have to start again from scratch.