Do You Agree With The Pheu Thai Party's Amnesty Campaign?

webfact

Do you agree with the Pheu Thai Party's amnesty campaign?

By Sirared Cherdchusilp

The Nation

1. Tanapat Ouppalakhom, university student, 20 years old

I disagree, because it's not the right way to solve the problem, especially the amnesty for Thaksin Shinawatra, which many people disagree with. The problem will not end. The party should form a government for the public, not for one special person.

2. Lui Saethung, lottery seller, 59 years old

I disagree, because our country is in a mess. It would be better to solve the problem of poverty before reconciliation. The economy is getting worse, so trade is getting worse too.

3. Sangpetch Khensi, security guard, 34 years old

I disagree, because it brings no advantages if they do it only for one guy.

4. Chakrit Jittrawongpun, engineer, 30 years old

I disagree, because they are doing it for their own advantage, they're not concerned with unity. It's only for one side. An amnesty cannot solve anything.

5. Sophon Thungmun, employee, 31 years old

I disagree, because if you want to reconcile, you need to start a new politics. An amnesty is an old idea dressed as a new idea, so the problem will never end.

6. Araya Sinanun, university student, 19 years old

I disagree, because people who do wrong should accept the punishment, even if they are politicians. Those who were arrested because they were in the red or yellow groups should be freed, but in cases of burning the city they should accept punishment as per the normal rules.

7. Kornkunya Sukhontaman, employee, 20 years old

I disagree, because the punishment was for a criminal. I don't believe the amnesty is for all sides. It is for just one guy, not for the public.

8.Uraiwun Wongmitrmaitree, housewife, 56 years old

I disagree, because those who do wrong should accept the punishment. If they are freed from guilt, everyone can do wrong. If they do this, it's selfish.

9. Wunnaphorn Luglam, motorcycle taxi driver, 22 years old

I agree, because people who are guilty should have the opportunity to change themselves. Many people in the society may not accept this, but we should give them a chance.

10. Wunphoo Bhunbai, employee, 42 years old

I agree, because an amnesty is the best way for all sides to end the whole problem. We will support the party that becomes the government, whether it's the Democrat Party or the Pheu Thai Party. Thai people should walk in the same direction.

Compiled by The Nation's Sirared Cherdchusilp

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-30

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this journalist is reporting realistically about a random sample of opinions then it's pretty telling, though I'd be interested to hear what the rural folk think.

amnesty and reconciliation are two different things, not mutually exclusive. Reconciliation could be achieved without amnesty if Thai people face up to their demons with humility

2. Lui Saethung, lottery seller, 59 years old

I disagree, because our country is in a mess. It would be better to solve the problem of poverty before reconciliation. The economy is getting worse, so trade is getting worse too.

Really? I remember walking down the street and lottery seller said 'farang' and pointed at me laughing. Maybe that translated to 'Hello, my friendly Caucasian brother'

Whatever AV has been doing certainly isn't the way forward.

It's the way forward for a lot of people. Too many just want to go back to the past, though.

Form committes, some do nothing then quit, others just do nothing; jail opposition; shut down opposition media even thought they have just renewed their licence; facilitate huge increases in lese majeste cases (most who are against your opponents). If this is what the Dems think is reconciliation....why bother?

Thankfully though their inability to make any progress (except backwards) on this issue is going to play a big part in their beating at the polls. I'd be looking for my ticket out of the country if I was AV or Suthep.

The media was shut down because it was unlicenced. They may have renewed their licences after they were shut down.

Maybe the huge increases in LM cases are due to the large increase of red shirts breaking LM laws. Why do they keep bringing the monarchy into their political speeches?

Do you think bringing back Thaksin help reconciliation? Do you think the threats by PTP candidates to continue protests if the PTP can't form a coalition government is reconciliation?

Thaksin, the PTP and the red shirts are not interested in reconciliation. They are just interested in getting Thaksin back in power. That is just in the interests of one side, not in the interests of reconciliation.

The media was shut down because it was unlicenced. They may have renewed their licences after they were shut down.

(No they had renewed their licences only a week before they were aggressively raided by the authorities. Owners were on TV displaying their licences with the dates.Please don't make things up that you don't know about!)

Maybe the huge increases in LM cases are due to the large increase of red shirts breaking LM laws. Why do they keep bringing the monarchy into their political speeches?

(Many cases are against academics that are being prosecuted for articles that they wrote a long time ago)

Do you think bringing back Thaksin help reconciliation? Do you think the threats by PTP candidates to continue protests if the PTP can't form a coalition government is reconciliation?

(Haven't heard any such threat from the campaign trail of PT. making things up again!)

Thaksin, the PTP and the red shirts are not interested in reconciliation. They are just interested in getting Thaksin back in power. That is just in the interests of one side, not in the interests of reconciliation.

(Your opinion)

(No they had renewed their licences only a week before they were aggressively raided by the authorities. Owners were on TV displaying their licences with the dates.Please don't make things up that you don't know about!)

(Many cases are against academics that are being prosecuted for articles that they wrote a long time ago)

I thought you were talking about LM charges against red shirts. How are the Democrats facilitating charges against the academics? Not that they are facilitating charges against the red shirts - the red shirts are digging their own hole there.

(Haven't heard any such threat from the campaign trail of PT. making things up again!)

Not making it up. I can't find the link at the moment. I'll get back to you on that.

(Your opinion)

Absolutely my opinion, and that of quite a few others, not just on this forum.

How exactly does bringing back Thaksin and giving him amnesty help reconciliation? From 2005 onwards, he's been the main problem

9. Wunnaphorn Luglam, motorcycle taxi driver, 22 years old

I agree, because people who are guilty should have the opportunity to change themselves. Many people in the society may not accept this, but we should give them a chance.

That's because many in society know exactly what they're dealing with, and can say with absolute certainty it won't "change themselves".

If he only asked 10 people it is hardly worth a reply. Where were these people and in what provence.:blink: I think the whole thing is made up as there has not been much news over the last few days on anything. Dont get sucked in.:rolleyes:

As children, most of us, were disciplined by adults when we broke the rules of accepted behavior. by the time we were young adults, we were instilled with the consequences of unacceptable behavior.

To even promote amnesty for those who refuse to follow the rules of good governance/behavior and/or take advantage of their public/private position for personal gain, is a travesty of accepted behavior/mind set/intent of the law.

IF, this type of choice was even proposed to honest electors, they would ensure any person/group, proposing/backing this type of self serving proposal would would be exposed for what they are and who/what they represent.

Found it.

In response to Newin's remark, important Pheu Thai member and red-shirt leader Nattawut Saikeua threatened to stage a mass rally if Pheu Thai fails to lead the next government.

If he only asked 10 people it is hardly worth a reply. Where were these people and in what provence.:blink: I think the whole thing is made up as there has not been much news over the last few days on anything. Dont get sucked in.:rolleyes:

Does it matter where and how many were asked? If people disagree with amnesty (and I can personally vouch for far more than those surveyed above), how on earth is it going to restore peace?

The simple fact is *will* do the direct opposite. Any attempt to exonerate the man in UAE is going to be met with resistance which will dwarf what the red shirts have attempted over the past years. Quote me if you like.

/edit to add - and what's far more concerning is that this time the man in UAE will no doubt be more prepared for this resistance than during 2005-2008. Judging by what we've seen from him so far, frankly I dread to think how this resistance is going to be handled.

Edited by Insight

Does it matter where and how many were asked? If people disagree with amnesty (and I can personally vouch for far more than those surveyed above), how on earth is it going to restore peace?

The simple fact is *will* do the direct opposite. Any attempt to exonerate the man in UAE is going to be met with resistance which will dwarf what the red shirts have attempted over the past years. Quote me if you like.

/edit to add - and what's far more concerning is that this time the man in UAE will no doubt be more prepared for this resistance than during 2005-2008. Judging by what we've seen from him so far, frankly I dread to think how this resistance is going to be handled.

It makes a big difference where and how many were asked.

If it was asked up north it would have been 8 for and 2 against. Did he ask the people in his street

And what is it you are vouching for.

If it was asked up north it would have been 8 for and 2 against. Did he ask the people in his street

It makes a big difference... how? All what the difference suggests is people up north are more prepared to forgive Thaksin than people in the city, down south or other areas of Thailand.

Just answer me this - Just because people up north don't mind if he is let off the hook, do you seriously think the rest of Thailand is going to stand by and let that happen?

I don't, and what's more I think Thaksin knows this. How it's going to be "handled" seriously concerns me.

You are right, the location of this survey has a massive bearing on the results. I agree that the numbers might well be reversed in parts of Khon Kaen etc.

However, what I find more interesting than the actual yes-no answers are the reasons they give. In favour of an amnesty, in this list we have "because people who are guilty should have the opportunity to change themselves" and "an amnesty is the best way for all sides to end the whole problem".

The first answer (from a motorcycle taxi driver - a group heavily rumoured to be amongst the more violent UDD members - coincidence?) is, in my opinion a really stupid one, and basically states that the Law shouldn't apply to those who break it. The whole purpose of jail, a fine, being banned from politics or whatever is to offer an "opportunity to change themselves"!

The second answer is one of those given facts that is absolutely not fact that we hear from the Peua Thai camp often. I honestly believe that an amnesty will absolutely not solve the problem for all sides... and that's why so many parties, including accused parties such as the Dems and the PAD, do not support it.

I very much doubt the survey was made up - names were given and the reporter (and newspaper) would look pretty stupid if it transpired that these people don't exist or something - but it's possible Khun Sirared decided to select the 10 featured responses himself.

Whilst you correctly point out that parts of the North and Isaan would see a major difference in the responses, you should also know that in Suratthani, the numbers are likely to be as extreme as 99:1 against amnesty. There are already people talking about huge rallies to oust Thaksin if he comes back - I suppose this is what happens when you "solve the problem for all sides".

without reconciliation there will be no peace - period

Obviously both true and not true ... reconciliation (in the red sense) is intended to let one person (and those that committed violence in his name) off the hook, and that is not justice. Without justice there will be no peace, and without peace there will be no reconciliation.

Justice starts with holding elected persons and non-elected persons accountable for their actions not forgiving those that when they don't get their way resort to violence and violating the laws of the land. That mens no amnesty for Thaksin at the expense of justice ... just as it means no amnesty for the PAD leaders and the UDD leaders. A blanket amnesty for those that participated in any rally (either color) in a non-violent/non-inciteful way should be issued. However, those responsible for killing, burning, looting ... on any side of the conflict should be held accountable. That would be an example that the 'rule of law' is functioning in Thailand.

That's quite true.

But will an amnesty or the return of Thaksin bring about reconciliation?

no I believe not but I also believe the opposite - without some form of reconciliation (maybe he can be banned from active politics for 10 or 15 years? - breaking it would mean instant jail?) without 'something' there is no hope - and with PT getting the most votes for a single party yet the Dems being in govt again (most likely scenario) the pain will continue unabated and that will be a continuing tragedy.

Obviously both true and not true ... reconciliation (in the red sense) is intended to let one person (and those that committed violence in his name) off the hook, and that is not justice. Without justice there will be no peace, and without peace there will be no reconciliation.

Justice starts with holding elected persons and non-elected persons accountable for their actions not forgiving those that when they don't get their way resort to violence and violating the laws of the land. That mens no amnesty for Thaksin at the expense of justice ... just as it means no amnesty for the PAD leaders and the UDD leaders. A blanket amnesty for those that participated in any rally (either color) in a non-violent/non-inciteful way should be issued. However, those responsible for killing, burning, looting ... on any side of the conflict should be held accountable. That would be an example that the 'rule of law' is functioning in Thailand.

'if' you are saying both sides - then maybe that is fine but here it doesn't always work like that and I suspect there is wisdom in drawing a line at some point and moving forward with a 'reconciliation package' for those not involved with physical violence - much like in some other countries where many 'yesterdays terrorists' are todays 'statesmen'. I sincerely believe that there has to come a time.

Whatever AV has been doing certainly isn't the way forward.

It's the way forward for a lot of people. Too many just want to go back to the past, though.

Form committes, some do nothing then quit, others just do nothing; jail opposition; shut down opposition media even thought they have just renewed their licence; facilitate huge increases in lese majeste cases (most who are against your opponents). If this is what the Dems think is reconciliation....why bother?

Thankfully though their inability to make any progress (except backwards) on this issue is going to play a big part in their beating at the polls. I'd be looking for my ticket out of the country if I was AV or Suthep.

spot on - and everybody knows it - this election is just a vote for " Do we want a corrupt ex pm back because he MIGHT line our pockets - many thais are not that gullible, The only ones who are, are the ones with something to gain? "

That's quite true.

But will an amnesty or the return of Thaksin bring about reconciliation?

no I believe not but I also believe the opposite - without some form of reconciliation (maybe he can be banned from active politics for 10 or 15 years? - breaking it would mean instant jail?) without 'something' there is no hope - and with PT getting the most votes for a single party yet the Dems being in govt again (most likely scenario) the pain will continue unabated and that will be a continuing tragedy.

He is already banned from politics. That doesn't seem to make any difference. IMO, reconciliation can only be considered with Thaksin out of the picture.

There are enough people around to put forward the red shirts point of view without it always coming back to Thaksin. If the PPP had tried governing the country instead of just trying to bring Thaksin back, there might have been some progress.

With PTP getting the most votes, but NOT being able to get majority support, basically means that they shouldn't be in government. If they can't get majority support, that basically means that the majority of voters (or the MPs they have elected) do not want the PTP in government.

The red shirts and their supporters don't seem to understand the concept of MAJORITY.

(Your opinion)

.................and most people who are not red shirt terrorists would agree with it!!!!!!!!!!!!

'if' you are saying both sides - then maybe that is fine but here it doesn't always work like that and I suspect there is wisdom in drawing a line at some point and moving forward with a 'reconciliation package' for those not involved with physical violence - much like in some other countries where many 'yesterdays terrorists' are todays 'statesmen'. I sincerely believe that there has to come a time.

I agree with what you say about both parties. I think the voting will be very equal between the north and the south. I also believe that the outcome of this election will come from Bangkok and it's surrounding areas.

Further I hope you are including the people who were described as being in Black clothing, pointing lazer beams at people who were to be murdered. when you say there "However, those responsible for killing, burning, looting... on any side should be held accountable.

2/10 Randomly.........

Scatter don't know...

10 out of the eligible millions who've the vote right.

Doesn't mean anything. NULL

abac, BKK and dusit poll are OK.....

read on the disagrees.

NO9 people can forgive sure but need to place a punishment... Equality!!! under the kingdom's laws

NO10.will amnesty bring peace? nope... the big gap is still here rich and poor.

Edited by dunkin2012