Another Airasia "Big Sale"! Another Scam!

ricardofel

Every 7-10 days AA has a "big sale" for domestic & international flights. For me....I find it to be a total scam. Today is the newest one for international & domestic tickets.....I wanted to book a Chiangmai/Bangkok/Chiangmai...all-in fare is advertised at 1190-one way, you will be charged extra for baggage(15 kg bag will cost you additional 290 baht) and a seat in the front (69.55 baht for a reserved seat). A few weeks ago it was 50 baht for a seat. Anyway.....the cheapest I could find was a regular priced ticket, no matter what days I put into the site...ok I did find one cheap fare for the earliest flight on a day I didn't want to travel, but that was it. I know...some of you have found great deals in the past, it does happen, but for many of us it's just a big scam. Personally I have been flying Bangkok Air, paying a little more....no charges for baggage or food or your choice of a seat....and they have a free lounge!!!!

I paid 200 Baht round-trip C.M.-Phuket, 200 Baht round-trip C.M.-Bangkok, and 200 Baht round-trip C.M.-Hat Yai on the Air Asia sale last week. Total cost was 428 Baht per RT ticket (200 Baht RT ticket + 200 Baht Airport Tax + 28 Baht VAT).

I always refuse the meals, seat assignment, and baggage. That is how they pad the bill.

Keep the scams coming. :lol:

Oh Boo Hoo.

Air Asia is not a charity but a very successful company running a tight business model.

Play the game and you get to fly around SE Asia and beyond for silly money. The weekly sales are not the big deal. Have your holiday plans ready wait for the right price to come up and like Elektrified and many others you can find the deals.

If you don't like it go and fly another airline. Personally I think AA is a fantastic airline, cheap, clean, ontime (40 flights so far, no delays) which allows my family and I to really appreciate Asia.

Scam? What a joke.

As a marketer, it's not exactly a scam until they have your money.

Anyway, if I want to fly budget I usually fly with Bangkok Airways and buying tickets just a few days in advance from a travel agent. The rates on the website is often too expensive the nearer to the time you want to fly. But again, I am a lone traveler so I often can get tickets cheaply from either TG or PG all the time. Last minute booking usually won't happen during long weekend and "high-season" though.

Oh Boo Hoo.

Air Asia is not a charity but a very successful company running a tight business model.

Play the game and you get to fly around SE Asia and beyond for silly money. The weekly sales are not the big deal. Have your holiday plans ready wait for the right price to come up and like Elektrified and many others you can find the deals.

If you don't like it go and fly another airline. Personally I think AA is a fantastic airline, cheap, clean, ontime (40 flights so far, no delays) which allows my family and I to really appreciate Asia.

Scam? What a joke.

Agreed.

I have had a dozen flights, or so, around SE Asia thanks to AA's promotions.

Oh Boo Hoo.

Scam? What a joke.

Agreed.

I have had a dozen flights, or so, around SE Asia thanks to AA's promotions.

Both myself and my BF have been quite successful getting great deals from AirAsia ... for all over the area. Yes, to get the deals you have to be .....

1) Fast

2) Flexible

We have flown on flights where we paid as much in airport taxes as we did in airfare .... no complaining from us :)

((Granted, when I am flying alone --- or rather, with my dog --- I always fly BKK Air or Thai -- since AirAsia doesn't allow animals.)

((Granted, when I am flying alone --- or rather, with my dog --- I always fly BKK Air or Thai -- since AirAsia doesn't allow animals.)

Last time a flew to Phnom Phen they were a bit lax with that rule :bah:

Last time a flew to Phnom Phen they were a bit lax with that rule :bah:

IMHO dog sure beats pretzels or peanuts for a snack....

Part of the problem with advertised airline prices,eg ads in Bangkok Post, is calculating the add ons.Sometimes as another poster mentioned the adds ons are more than the ticket price. I thought this practice was to be outlawed and only the actual final price shown.I realise there could be extra baggage costs but a couple of months out from traveling you are not always sure what your requirements might be. I havent had a problem with Air Asia and got a great deal for Bali return.Its a hugely competitive industry and AA seem to have got their business model right and we consumers have benefiited

You'd think that the OP had never come across a budget airline before. The promo fares are there but you need to be flexible about dates and put a bit of effort in to find them. Family of three CNX - BKK - SGN and back for less than 9000 baht doesn't make me feel like I've been had.

I don't understand how the OP considers this a "scam." I can't see how this can be a scam unless the OP has paid for something that Air Asia refused to deliver.

This subject comes up once a month on TV's Travel forum with the same result. Travelers with flexible schedules who can book in advance get great deals from AA.

As for Bangkok Air, they are usually my second choice. Yes, they give you 20 kg of free baggage, but if you exceed that you're probably better off with AA who will allow you to purchase 30 kgs without any overweight charges. And do you really need to pick your seat and get a free "meal on a one hour flight from CNX to BKK???

I don't understand how the OP considers this a "scam." I can't see how this can be a scam unless the OP has paid for something that Air Asia refused to deliver.

This subject comes up once a month on TV's Travel forum with the same result. Travelers with flexible schedules who can book in advance get great deals from AA.

As for Bangkok Air, they are usually my second choice. Yes, they give you 20 kg of free baggage, but if you exceed that you're probably better off with AA who will allow you to purchase 30 kgs without any overweight charges. And do you really need to pick your seat and get a free "meal on a one hour flight from CNX to BKK???

My thoughts exactly. I always travel with one small bag so no need for checked baggage. If you buy a lot of stuff you can have it trucked to C.M. for peanuts, or send it to yourself by post; a heck of a lot cheaper than paying to put it on the airplane.

It has never been any different, or for those that wish to argue about it, it`s always been the same.

Do any of you remember those advertised flight special offers or promotions back in our own counties?

For example: Special deal, must book this month only, London return to New York, only £180. And then discover that the only way anyone is going to obtain a return flight from London to New York for £180, if they are a seventh son of a seventh son, need to be over 75 years old and have their grandfather accompany them during the flight, has to be snowing on a day when there is a solar eclipse and all the planets of our solar systems are in perfect alignment. In other words, nobody for one reason or another ever gets that flight for the advertised price.

Most of you old hands out there should know this by now..

I've flown Airasia many times, not by choice, but by the fact that they're the only ones that flies direct to where I need to go. Had to check the final total costs and compare. The last booking was a return ticket for 4 persons, to Singapore & 3 other points in Malaysia and total costs: TB23K+, about THB 6,000 per head for a round trip of 4 points. Not bad but the main costs to the tickets are the baggage fee which works out to be about 20-25 %!! & payment fee (for credit cards). Be extra careful of the insurance clause. I've accidentally 'bought' it a couple of times!! Also, they tend to change or cancel their flights. Not a scam but just very creative in their ads & stats to juice the best out.

My family has used AA numerous times, my Thai son went to school in Singapore, flew home to Bkk every second week-end, never ver a problem in any way.

If you record you e.mail address with AA you get 1 day advance notice of the special deals.

As already said you need to be very quick, and you do need to think carefully about what to pack in your luggage to keep the weight down.

No scam here.

You can actually get 30Kg luggage with Bangkok Airways at no extra charge, all you have to do is join their frequent flyer scheme. You can then use the lounge as well, coffee, soft drinks. snacks etc. unfortunately no alcohol !!

You can actually get 30Kg luggage with Bangkok Airways at no extra charge, all you have to do is join their frequent flyer scheme. You can then use the lounge as well, coffee, soft drinks. snacks etc. unfortunately no alcohol !!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

AirAsia charge (at the moment) 80 baht per kilo overweight on their CNX>BKK run. Not too much to pay. There are yet cheaper options with pre-payment.

So, paying the extra 400 baht to carry the 20kgs (5 kg overweight) is still cheaper than most, if not all, other airline fares with more "generous" baggage allowances. (My arithmetic is usually correct).

AirAsia's the one for me.I always have extra money to spend at my destinations - and I love their super specials. Can't be beat.I am more than happy to yield a little of my overall savings and pay a small amount for a sandwich or light meal (good, I might mention)and to select a seat with more than usual leg-room on longer flights.

Scam ? I don't think so.

Cheers.

Must say i like the idea of a lounge in which to languish. AA don't have that..yet !

Edited by SwaziBird

AirAsia charge (at the moment) 80 baht per kilo overweight on their CNX>BKK run. Not too much to pay. There are yet cheaper options with pre-payment.

So, paying the extra 400 baht to carry the 20kgs (5 kg overweight) is still cheaper than most, if not all, other airline fares with more "generous" baggage allowances. (My arithmetic is usually correct).

AirAsia's the one for me.I always have extra money to spend at my destinations - and I love their super specials. Can't be beat.I am more than happy to yield a little of my overall savings and pay a small amount for a sandwich or light meal (good, I might mention)and to select a seat with more than usual leg-room on longer flights.

Scam ? I don't think so.

Cheers.

Must say i like the idea of a lounge in which to languish. AA don't have that..yet !

I agree, I use both airlines when it's beneficial to me.

Booked a single ticket from CNX to BKK a couple of weeks ago and it cost me 1200 Baht with Bangkok Airways, promotion price. Air Asia was going to be just over 2000 Baht with all the add on's. A few months ago I paid 2300 Baht for the return trip including 15 Kg of luggage one way and 30 Kg return with Air Asia, again a promotion price.

Both airlines work well for me - I love promotion fares!! You just need to be flexible.

It has never been any different, or for those that wish to argue about it, it`s always been the same.

Do any of you remember those advertised flight special offers or promotions back in our own counties?

For example: Special deal, must book this month only, London return to New York, only £180. And then discover that the only way anyone is going to obtain a return flight from London to New York for £180, if they are a seventh son of a seventh son, need to be over 75 years old and have their grandfather accompany them during the flight, has to be snowing on a day when there is a solar eclipse and all the planets of our solar systems are in perfect alignment. In other words, nobody for one reason or another ever gets that flight for the advertised price.

Most of you old hands out there should know this by now..

I usually agree with what you have to say about almost anything. But in this case you are wrong. All it takes is patience, persistence and flexibility, and anyone can get the same good deals. A good Internet connection is necessary as well.

Scam ? I don't think so.

Cheers.

I agree, I use both airlines when it's beneficial to me.

Booked a single ticket from CNX to BKK a couple of weeks ago and it cost me 1200 Baht with Bangkok Airways, promotion price. Air Asia was going to be just over 2000 Baht with all the add on's. A few months ago I paid 2300 Baht for the return trip including 15 Kg of luggage one way and 30 Kg return with Air Asia, again a promotion price.

Both airlines work well for me - I love promotion fares!! You just need to be flexible.

How much luggage do some of you people carry anyway? To Bangkok and back?

Siam Commercial Bank debit card with internet banking --> no credit card fee for booking!

I do like to book a window seat as a treat for scenic flights, like flying over Bali, or to someplace new :-)

Nice to know that quite a few people will be avoiding the scams in the future, that means more promotional price tickets left for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

Siam Commercial Bank debit card with internet banking --> no credit card fee for booking!

I do like to book a window seat as a treat for scenic flights, like flying over Bali, or to someplace new :-)

Nice to know that quite a few people will be avoiding the scams in the future, that means more promotional price tickets left for the rest of us. :rolleyes:

SO, will I be seeing you in Bali. I picked up an nice return set of "scam" tickets for US$170.00 and that included upgrading the luggage so I could carry diving and camera equipment. I hope the do these "scam" deals more often. biggrin.gif

David