Thailand To Sihanoukville With Own Car?

vel_tins

I read 20 threads about this, and got 30 different or outdated statements :annoyed:

I want to drive with my Thai car (Book in my name), to Sihanoukville.

As I read, you can't leave the "border crossing district", is there any border, which allows me to go to SV?

Do I really need the "purple book"?

Edited by vel_tins

I looked into it 18 months ago..I've taken my car to Laos and Malaysia so was keen to do a Cambo trip....

- Purple book is for Laos going to Laos. Check with the Land transport department if there is a seperate one for Cambodia. At the time, there wasn't.

- At the border with Cambodia (Hat Lek) there are instructions on the Thai side on what documents you need. Ownership book is one of them. Seem to recall that filling on a temporary export form was necessary. In any case, there are people there, runners, who will handle the details for a small fee. Might be worth rummaging up the number of immigration there at the border and asking them.

- Seemed like on the Cambo side, with the help of a runner, a temp plate would be issued, which strictly speaking, was only for that province.

- The biggest issue for us was technically you aren't supposed to drive in Cambo without a local license. Also, no one will insure a right hand drive car...we no one wanted to insure us.....so we didn't go.

yep... they drive on the right .

took a bus from Had Lek to PP a few months back. the roads' condition ain't too bad.....

Have no idea 'bout driving. And i won't do it. the ticket costs you as little as a few hundred baht from Koh Kong. be there early in the morning!! the bus station!

the Cambodian officials are the most crooked in the world. if you wanna bring your car. be prepared for that!!!

they'll make you pay dam**n everything.

and some people said " 'bout the safety issue in SV' "....... be very careful!!!!!!!

been in an out of Cambodia with my Thai registered car via 4 different borders more than once and only one problem with the car and that's passing other cars :-)

Got stopped once in Phnom Penh and it cost me $5.

never paid any bribes at any crossings either.

Edited by phuketrichard

Yes I know in the meanwhile, go with own car to Cambo, doesn't seem to be very difficult.

But the question is, is there any LEGAL way, to go to SV with own, thai registered, car?

Edited by vel_tins

Yes I know in the meanwhile, go with own car to Cambo, doesn't seem to be very difficult.

But the question is, is there any LEGAL way, to go to SV with own, thai registered, car?

What do our answers seem to suggest to you? The answer strictly speaking is probably NO.

But, check with the Land Transport Department to see if there are any developments.