Thaksin - Exiled In Dubai – But Still He Dreams Of Thailand

webfact

"but still he dreams of Thailand..."

Dream on...

Going by all the extreeme hatred of Thaskin here he must have really done some bad things to all the farangs. Personally he has not effected my life at all and I don't care if he becomes p.m. again. I really don't understand what farangs are so worried about. The election will come and go and life will go on.

I'm with you softgeorge. I don't know what all the excitement is about either. I spoke to a few very wealthy Thai businessmen in Bangkok and they feel he is alright. Even after all he is accused of? Or mab'y they dont want to say to a whitey who they are friends with.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dream on...

Going by all the extreeme hatred of Thaskin here he must have really done some bad things to all the farangs. Personally he has not effected my life at all and I don't care if he becomes p.m. again. I really don't understand what farangs are so worried about. The election will come and go and life will go on.

extactly, i agree with you 100%

Really bizarre in that the sister of a man that was happy to sponsor and burn down, destroy, loot, incite violence, can be so popular. There very well may be no other country on planet earth where something like this could happen. Truly amazing, but in the end the people will get the leadership they deserve.

if you happen to be at Central World, ask the security guards "Who set the fire?"

you will be very surprised by the answers you received.

Have you asked? Or have you just been told by a red shirt "exactly what happened"?

Yes, I know people who work at Centara hotel, I asked the question

after having seen some shocking pictures inside Central World before

it was lit on fire. The answer was opposite of what most people believe.

it seems that those of you do not like taksin, which side you are ?

What's a problem with thaksin if he would come back thailand, do you think you are happy with the today ..............................................?

Honestly, who do you trust more to lead the country ? The kids of rich families, raised and educated abroad, who don't know much about the realities of the country . . .

Just interested, which kids do you mean? If you're referring to the Democrats, other than Abhisit the only leader I can think of who was educated abroad was Seni, way back early last century. You might want to recall that the longest serving Democrat PM, by far, was Chuan Leekpai, who I'm sure would have a good laugh at your description.

Sorry, the Democrats = out-of-touch elites argument is a straw man.

Korn Chatikavanij, born in London, England. He attended a boarding school in England before studying in Oxford, where he was a classmate of Abhisit. His father was Commissioner of the Customs Department, Commissioner of the Revenue Department, and Director of the Fiscal Policy Office (I don't know why, but when I read that, it makes me laugh. And to think it was this guy who investigated Thaksin financial wrongdoing biggrin.gif).

Korn is given as the next leader of the democrats when Abhisit steps down after the election.

Honestly, that's the problem with Sondhi's boys. They are given a list of a couple of negative statements about Thaksin that they repeat ad nauseam, but beside that, they don't know much about Thai politic

Really bizarre in that the sister of a man that was happy to sponsor and burn down, destroy, loot, incite violence, can be so popular. There very well may be no other country on planet earth where something like this could happen. Truly amazing, but in the end the people will get the leadership they deserve.

if you happen to be at Central World, ask the security guards "Who set the fire?"

you will be very surprised by the answers you received.

None of todays security guards were there when the fires broke out, and take it that most of these low paid workers are themselves Red Shirts, and some were involved in the demonstration..... I dont think anyone with half a brain would be surprised with whatever answers were given... none will be the whole truth or anything like the whole truth. Just ask a certain Australian Red Shirt... or maybe that idiot was also a spy .... Get a life.. what is it they say, better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are an idiot, that to open it and confirm the fact..!!!!!

Dream on...

I'm with you softgeorge. I don't know what all the excitement is about either. I spoke to a few very wealthy Thai businessmen in Bangkok and they feel he is alright. Even after all he is accused of? Or mab'y they dont want to say to a whitey who they are friends with.

Businessmen, especially those involved in international business, are actually quite supportive of Thaksin. He is one of them. It's the civil servants who don't like him, all these people who collect money just because of some hereditary position and who do nothing to develop the business, quite the opposite actually.

500 Baht at GE time and the Piss poor buffalo's up here in Issan will rise for the "bait"

Maybe 500 Baht at GE time in Isan.

Rest assured the canvassers are already trolling the world - supposedly on holiday or looking at garden layouts typical to the country visited or any other kind of BS they can dream up - handing out money like drunken sailors on shore leave to impress the brainless who to vote for, all they have to do is remember the NUMBER, something any nitwit is capable of doing.

The Army is for protecting the country, is it then any wonder the Army is always nervous and standing ready not to let the whole shebang go down the drain, which it surely would if they do not grab the out of control beast by the scruff of the neck, as it has done some 18-times during the past seventy some odd years. This is not to talk good what the Army does, but what other alternative does the Army has? Like right now there is a lunatic fugitive from justice flying all over the world in his Bombardier Jet trying to cause mayhem in Thailand. With only one country, the UK, doing the right thing by rescinding his visa and compelling him - a fugitive from justice - to sale his stake in the UK football club, Manchester United.

Why be so surprised what goes on in politics in Thailand, even in the country that demands to rule the world it is one political shenanigan after the other during the past one hundred years. It’s only in small countries were there is still some semblance of order in politics, but it is starting to go down the slippery slope in them countries also when more-and-more foreigners are allowed in to these countries for permanent residence – diluting the native born population. The majority of persons not born in a country from native parentage have very little allegiance to a country.

Dream on...

Businessmen, especially those involved in international business, are actually quite supportive of Thaksin. He is one of them. It's the civil servants who don't like him, all these people who collect money just because of some hereditary position and who do nothing to develop the business, quite the opposite actually.

That certainly is not true in my experience .... businessmen have seen Thaksin screw the competition mercilessly via his abuse of a public office. They have seen him do the same for his cronies etc ...

Thaksin has plenty of family that are "civil servants" as well....

The business world that I am familiar with in Thailand never liked Thaksin. More importantly they never trusted Thaksin.

500 Baht at GE time and the Piss poor buffalo's up here in Issan will rise for the "bait"

Maybe 500 Baht at GE time in Isan.

Rest assured the canvassers are already trolling the world - supposedly on holiday or looking at garden layouts typical to the country visited or any other kind of BS they can dream up - handing out money like drunken sailors on shore leave to impress the brainless who to vote for, all they have to do is remember the NUMBER, something any nitwit is capable of doing.

The Army is for protecting the country, is it then any wonder the Army is always nervous and standing ready not to let the whole shebang go down the drain, which it surely would if they do not grab the out of control beast by the scruff of the neck, as it has done some 18-times during the past seventy some odd years. This is not to talk good what the Army does, but what other alternative does the Army has? Like right now there is a lunatic fugitive from justice flying all over the world in his Bombardier Jet trying to cause mayhem in Thailand. With only one country, the UK, doing the right thing by rescinding his visa and compelling him - a fugitive from justice - to sale his stake in the UK football club, Manchester United.

Why be so surprised what goes on in politics in Thailand, even in the country that demands to rule the world it is one political shenanigan after the other during the past one hundred years. It's only in small countries were there is still some semblance of order in politics, but it is starting to go down the slippery slope in them countries also when more-and-more foreigners are allowed in to these countries for permanent residence – diluting the native born population. The majority of persons not born in a country from native parentage have very little allegiance to a country.

Interesting reading--but before you get the correctors on your back--It was Man City-not United he had to sell his part to. as per football Asso., rule, for OFFENDERS of ?????

He sits in his "drawing room fill with pictures of himself... and various world leaders. Clearly spending his time basking in the past glories now denied him and, apparently ready to move heaven, earth and Chalerm to get back that feeling of being a 'master of the universe' he seems to dwell upon endlessly. Rich as Crocious, and yet sadly pathetic too. Sad also that so many lives hang in the balance of his ego driven internal crisis.

He sits in his "drawing room fill with pictures of himself... and various world leaders. Clearly spending his time basking in the past glories now denied him and, apparently ready to move heaven, earth and Chalerm to get back that feeling of being a 'master of the universe' he seems to dwell upon endlessly. Rich as Crocious, and yet sadly pathetic too. Sad also that so many lives hang in the balance of his ego driven internal crisis.

A Monetary man drunk with power and full of his own importance who would not hesitate to stamp on anyone getting in his way.

He stamped on the media--also the broadcasters-bribing the sadly uneducated people mainly in the north. BY THE WAY---if he helped the education system as many believe how is it never improved ??-If he helped the health service so local people can get good service at a low price, then how is it the Issan people still spend so much at the local private clinics paying 10 times the amount the hospital outpatients pharmacy charges. a vast percent never go to the hospital doctor.

REASON--I've asked this question locally with many Thais, answer the hospital doctor does not give them the medicine they want--SURE--why because most want an injection for most ailments then they can tell the village they got good treatment . The hospital will very rarely admin injections only when necessary. Do you see now why they pay private? they can ask for an injection.

Hence the reason you can persuade Issan people to vote for you.... money-easy

Dream on...

and thats exactly what most Farrang on Thai visa fail to understand, he is very popular here in Thailand, he won 2 elections the only Prime minister to achieve that in recent history he was taken out by a military coup, hardly democratic. Whatever his faults may be he doesnt suffer from being unpopular with huge number of Thais. Are all the anti Thaksin Farrangs on here right and all the Thais that vote for him wrong? I doubt it. In any case his sister will be in power soon (that wouldnt happen if he was hated) I found life to be just the same here when Thaksin was in power so I also don't understand what the Thaksin haters are so bothered about.

All the comments have been interesting to read.

But this one hits the nail on the head.

Money is no longer the issue. It's quite simply about face.

He lost face by being kicked out of his position. He lost more face when he was convicted. Even more when they took "his" money. The amount was not the issue. The fact that he was powerless to stop them, was.

He misses the spotlight, being on TV everyday, flying all over the world and receiving VIP's as Thailand's political leader. Money lost its value along time ago.

He lives for power and fame.

He may be surrounded by many people, in Dubai. But he sounds like a very lonely man. No wife. His family overseas.

Sad indeed.

Edited by Greyman

I tend to think that the red buffalo leaders who repeated told the red buffalo herds it was time to (1) burn down Bangkok, (2) kill yellow shirts, (3) derail the BTS, (4) invade and kill people in hospitals, and otherwise destroy Bangkok as having a 100% motivation to do exactly what they did to Central World. Thinking otherwise defies logic/common sense. Looks like and smells like a buffalo, it is a buffalo!

Good article - outlines the duplicitous nature of K Thaksin. He doesnt want an amnesty - he wants his crimes expunged so that he can carry on his reign of terror. "What reign of terror?" the one which murdered 2700 people in his war on drugs and opponents. Not to mention being the mastermind behind the terrorism in Bangkok last year from the blackshirts to the idea of moving to Rachaprasong. There are enough charges and there is enough evidence against K Thaksin to convict him in any forward thinking western country. THAT is why he wants an amnesty!! "amnesty, amnesty forgive everybody - but ME first"!! The biggest step backwards would be for him to return to Thailand as its leader!!

Too bad there isn't a stronger libel law to protect former PM Thaksin, who was illegally removed from office and who was previously elected by the largest and widest margins in free Democratic elections in Thai history, from your baseless, unprovable, inaccurate and mendacious statements.

Too bad there isn't a stronger libel law to protect former PM Thaksin, who was illegally removed from office and who was previously elected by the largest and widest margins in free Democratic elections in Thai history, from your baseless, unprovable, inaccurate and mendacious statements.

Everything he mentioned came straight from the mouth of the little dictator himself. Wake up!

Good article - outlines the duplicitous nature of K Thaksin. He doesnt want an amnesty - he wants his crimes expunged so that he can carry on his reign of terror. "What reign of terror?" the one which murdered 2700 people in his war on drugs and opponents. Not to mention being the mastermind behind the terrorism in Bangkok last year from the blackshirts to the idea of moving to Rachaprasong. There are enough charges and there is enough evidence against K Thaksin to convict him in any forward thinking western country. THAT is why he wants an amnesty!! "amnesty, amnesty forgive everybody - but ME first"!! The biggest step backwards would be for him to return to Thailand as its leader!!

Do you get free white whiskey sent from Issan ??? FREE--you mean paid for, he was ousted because of what he committed here using power for monetary gain. how can you overlook that. ???? Do you live in Issan and afraid to say anything against the man ?? be honest ---do you actually deny all the wrong he did ?? I cannot believe a person that admires a control freak.

Actually what annoys me most is all these arrogant, derogatory comments regarding Thaksin supporters.

Buffalos, illiterates, ... But who these posters think they are ? Are they all Bill Gates or Steve Jobs ? Do they really all have a PhD in nuclear engineering ?

Do we have someone with a major in psychology here ? What in Thaksin success hurt them so much that they feel compelled to write such outrageous comments ?

Why siding with an "elite" to which they obviously don't belong ?

What shocking pictures did you see? People shot in the leg?

What happened before CW was lit on fire? Did people get evacuated?

What do most people believe?

Korn Chatikavanij, born in London, England. He attended a boarding school in England before studying in Oxford, where he was a classmate of Abhisit. His father was Commissioner of the Customs Department, Commissioner of the Revenue Department, and Director of the Fiscal Policy Office (I don't know why, but when I read that, it makes me laugh. And to think it was this guy who investigated Thaksin financial wrongdoing biggrin.gif).

Korn is given as the next leader of the democrats when Abhisit steps down after the election.

Honestly, that's the problem with Sondhi's boys. They are given a list of a couple of negative statements about Thaksin that they repeat ad nauseam, but beside that, they don't know much about Thai politic

Another Brit is going to be Thai PM???

and thats exactly what most Farrang on Thai visa fail to understand, he is very popular here in Thailand, he won 2 elections the only Prime minister to achieve that in recent history he was taken out by a military coup, hardly democratic. Whatever his faults may be he doesnt suffer from being unpopular with huge number of Thais. Are all the anti Thaksin Farrangs on here right and all the Thais that vote for him wrong? I doubt it. In any case his sister will be in power soon (that wouldnt happen if he was hated) I found life to be just the same here when Thaksin was in power so I also don't understand what the Thaksin haters are so bothered about.

He WAS very popular. If he was STILL popular, the PPP would have won by a landslide and the red shirts WOULD have had a million people marching.

In 2006, he couldn't win an election and form a government ... with no opposition . That tells you how popular he ended up.

Edited by whybother

He WAS very popular. If he was STILL popular, the PPP would have won by a landslide and the red shirts WOULD have had a million people marching.

In 2006, he couldn't win an election and form a government ... with no opposition . That tells you how popular he ended up.

In the 2007 election PPP won 233 seats of 480, the Democrats 165.

If that was a sign that Thaksin/PPP/PTP is not popular anymore, what does it say to you about Abhisit?

I have the impression that Thaksin is indeed still popular and the results of the coming elections will show that.

just my two cents.

If that was a sign that Thaksin/PPP/PTP is not popular anymore, what does it say to you about Abhisit?

I have the impression that Thaksin is indeed still popular and the results of the coming elections will show that.

just my two cents.

In 2007, if and is anymore? Your tenses are a bit mixed, dear samurai. Let me tell you this year here and now is 2011. No general election since December 2007, only a few by-elections, recent ones showed broad participation, but no clear PTP/Thaksin victory.

K. Thaksin is indeed still popular in certain parts of the country, the coming elections will show that. Probably 35 - 40% for both PTP and Dem's. Just my two cents :)

Dream on...

I agree. I can't understand the thaskin bashing by farangs either. Life as expats know it will go on in this beautiful country regardless of who is P.M If all the Thaskin bashers were citizens and had a vote maybe I could understand it to a degree. It appears that many are self appointed voices of the Thai people and think that they know what is best for the majority. It is nice sitting on the fence.

I tend to think that the red buffalo leaders who repeated told the red buffalo herds it was time to (1) burn down Bangkok, (2) kill yellow shirts, (3) derail the BTS, (4) invade and kill people in hospitals, and otherwise destroy Bangkok as having a 100% motivation to do exactly what they did to Central World. Thinking otherwise defies logic/common sense. Looks like and smells like a buffalo, it is a buffalo!

Wasn't that in Libya? I must have missed it here.

people talk about former prime minister shinawatra as in excile----the blokes on the run. politics in thailand has never made any sence,.

yingluck is just the face behind pheu thai party without any political experience,.thaksin shinawatra has promised the taxi drivers and baht bus drivers,.a free credit card_giving them a daily allowance for fuel and food,. medical issues never seem to be mentioned

they say better the devil you no!! although shinawatra made big financial gains-when he allowed orange to put network masts up

then kicked them out.the baht was at a good exchange when he was in office-now us english farrang get only 48 baht 2 the £

tourism is at a all time low 70%down on last year..... and within 18 months property prices will fall dramatically throughout thailand.

just my two cents.

I didn't say Thaksin wasn't popular, but referring to the 2001 and 2005 elections as references to his current popularity is like saying Hitler is still popular.

After 2005, Thaksin's popularity dived. In 2005, he had a single party majority (after buying up all the smaller parties before the election). In 2006, he was unable to form government because he couldn't even get 20% of the vote in some electorates. In 2007, he still had a strong following out there, but he (and his current party) didn't even get a majority. After 2008, he lost one of the groups that he had previously bought in, reducing the party's seat count even more.

The PTP may get the most seats, but they are going to have to rely on the smaller parties to be able to form a coalition government.