Where To Buy A Big Bird Cage

mallmagician

I have a lovebird, that stays out of its cage all day practically, but his current cage is not really big enough for when I have to put him in his cage.

I have looked in my local area (San Sai), and can only find the wooden cages that aren't very big to be honest. I want something pretty large.

Does anyone know where I can find a bird cage of the larger variety (Something that would suit a parrot would be ideal), and hopefully some bird toys etc? Ideally in the moat area or near Pantip, but can go anywhere for the right place.

Thanks all

Phil

There is a bird shop in Kamthieng Market behind Tesco Lotus. They sell all size cages, toys, food, etc. Follow the road alongside Tesco and keep heading back into the market until you can't go further and the shop will be in front of you.

There is a bird shop in Kamthieng Market behind Tesco Lotus. They sell all size cages, toys, food, etc. Follow the road alongside Tesco and keep heading back into the market until you can't go further and the shop will be in front of you.

And comparison shopping is possible!

For, as we all know, birdcages for feathered friends locate together.

Edited by CMX

thaimiller.

re .. ....Whats the worst that can happen

it could see others not so lucky : (

dave2

Its a personal joke, im sure the OP will laugh when he see's it, it wasn't an attempt to have a go at him for caging an animal. Just to clarify.

thaimiller.

re .. it wasn't an attempt to have a go at him for caging an animal

i didnt think it was ... honest .. no problem

enjoy these parrots which are by chiang mai gate every day

dave2

post-42592-0-06355400-1306822421_thumb.j

thaimiller.

re .. ....Whats the worst that can happen

it could see others not so lucky : (

dave2

That's a good example of a cage that's not very suitable to budgies or anything parrot-like. See it's got vertical bars. Budgies and the like enjoy to climb. So horizontal bars are much better. And of course the floor of the cage you'd want some nice sand or grit on, not more bars. If you get a parrot cage then spacing of the bars is a consideration too, you don't want it to be around the size that a bird can stick his head through, but then get stuck. Anything smaller or bigger spaced should be fine.

Yes, the cages aren't perfect, but with some tweaking will suit the purpose. Picked up a 3 x 2 x 2 foot cage for 650 baht. And some toys too.

Burt isn't too keen in it, but he seems to be settling down.

I'm in the process of putting some playthings, and roosting stuff in it.

Thanks all. Oh and Thaimiller, taking a bird outside for a free fly is always good for the bird, not so good for my nerves, and hilarious to all that watched. :-)

I have never had birds as pets for the reason is that I just hate seeing birds kept in cages.

At least some kinds of averies give the birds room to spread their wings and fly around a bit and not so cruel.

Some years ago my Uncle in New York used to keep birds in a large avery he had built in his garden. They were provided with small trees and everything and it was a pleasure to watch them flying about and something that was close to their natural enviroment.

Providing some sort of small avery and include a couple of other birds for company is worth considering if you have the room. these are quite easy to build as a DIY and quite cheaply.

Yes, the cages aren't perfect, but with some tweaking will suit the purpose. Picked up a 3 x 2 x 2 foot cage for 650 baht. And some toys too.

Burt isn't too keen in it, but he seems to be settling down.

Yeah, they're conservative as fuc_k. It takes a while.

I have never had birds as pets for the reason is that I just hate seeing birds kept in cages.

In the original post it is mentioned that the bird is mostly outside around the house. Typically they go into the cage (by themselves) at night to sleep, or to eat or drink or get romantic with toys and mirrors. And of course sometimes you need them in there like when you have guests who are scared of birds or whatever. ;) Or when you don't want them to make a mess; some like to throw everything on the floor that isn't bolted to a shelf, then enjoy the noise stuff makes as it falls on the floor. They might also imitate that noise in advance or after. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes, the idea is to give it loads of free flight time (i.e. not in an aviary - outside in the open air), whilst keeping it safe from predators. However, as with any animal, sometimes they need locking up, or transporting etc. For the most part, Burt is perched on my shoulder like a pirates bird. Why are Pirates so funny? Because they Aaaargh!

Lovebirds like to roost, so a cage is indeed welcomed by the bird, but not all the time. They like to be around their owner as much as possible.

Edited by mallmagician

Yes, the idea is to give it loads of free flight time (i.e. not in an aviary - outside in the open air), whilst keeping it safe from predators.

Out of curiosity, how do you achieve that? Both the predator part, and how to ensure the beast can find its way back if it is ever startled due to fireworks or whatever?

> For the most part, Burt is perched on my shoulder like a pirates bird. Why are Pirates so funny? Because they Aaaargh!

Have a picture? (Not necessarily in full pirate gear, just of the bird? ;) )