New To Bangkok

thebluedrg

Hello there!

I just arrived in Bangkok... got my place near Sukhumvit 21. It is a very different culture!

I'm looking to meet some expats here to make my life easier and go grab a beer or something!

I'm 33 from Canada.. straight (don't worry) and speaks French and English.

Cheers

You might try some of the sports clubs - like Southerners, and there is Bangkok Young Professionals as well.

I think you will find a similar thread in the BKK forum, which has a number of suggestions.

Oh God... Can you imagine it? Going for a bar-crawl in Nana Plaza with a homophobe who felt the need to assert his straightness (or, presumably, hide it to assert it, so to speak, in some of the bars).

Sorry mate, count me out from your few beers...

SC

Meh, you're a real friendly bunch, sometimes.

OP, welcome to Bangkok! I'd recommend heading over the the Bangkok forum, as someone has already said, and checking out some of the threads already floating around. Be wary of Thaivisa.com - it's a great place to find information and have conversations, but there are a lot of fools here.

Edited for brevity.

Edited by DavidSL

A lot of venom in this thread. He was only making a light hearted joke to imply that he did not want to meet up to bum you.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't assume that anyone that suggests going for a drink has any motive beyond going for a drink, whether they be straight or gay, young or old, male or female.

Anyway, I suppose at least there would be no reason to be offended when he did not offer to 'bum one'. Though to be honest, I have never felt flattered whenever the topic did crop up (my inference only).

On an only loosely related subject...

To further avoid misunderstandings, I am reliably (albeit probably falsely) informed that the way to start a fight in Papua New Guinea is to bare one's buttocks, indicating that one has no scars, and by implication, do not run away when the going gets tough. Never having been to Papua New Guinea, and preferring to avoid fights wherever I go, I have not verified this recommendation.

SC

...the way to start a fight in Papua New Guinea is to bare one's buttocks, indicating that one has no scars, and by implication, do not run away when the going gets tough...

Hmm. it could also mean that the guy runs really really fast!!

...the way to start a fight in Papua New Guinea is to bare one's buttocks, indicating that one has no scars, and by implication, do not run away when the going gets tough...

Faster than his mates, anyway

SC

Or those he was up against were good shots and their spears hit the bulls eye.

A lot of venom in this thread. He was only making a light hearted joke to imply that he did not want to meet up to bum you.

Dont forget this is thaivisa,not a normal forum,anything to cause trouble,get rid of the pc attitude its harmful here.

Oh God... Can you imagine it? Going for a bar-crawl in Nana Plaza with a homophobe who felt the need to assert his straightness (or, presumably, hide it to assert it, so to speak, in some of the bars).

Sorry mate, count me out from your few beers...

SC

So if someone posted that they were new in town with no friends, that they were gay, and would like to get together for some beers with local expats; would you call them Hetero-phobic?

I don't think that saying your straight makes you a homophobe. Defining your sexuality just ensures there won't be any confusion if someone gets the wrong idea.

Not ALL cowboys wanna trip to Broke Back Mountain!

Edited by TimTang

Meh, you're a real friendly bunch, sometimes.

OP, welcome to Bangkok! I'd recommend heading over the the Bangkok forum, as someone has already said, and checking out some of the threads already floating around. Be wary of Thaivisa.com - it's a great place to find information and have conversations, but there are a lot of fools here.

Edited for brevity.

Agree 100% the worst for friendlines,but good for info,try some other forums mate,a lot more friendly.I think its the pollution because most of the offenders are Bangkok residence,i pity you living there mate.

I can't see how anyone could confuse wanting to meet some people and hang out over a beer, with wanting to get together for gay sex. Seems a very, very strange self-introduction.

I don't find it STRANGE at all! Given the anonymity of the internet there are many predators that use it to find potential partners or victims. I've had friends and co-workers that are gay that were nice people and never presented any problems. But I've also had some bad experiences where gays forced themselves on me, as if I could be gay too, if I just tried a little harder. I've found that some gays are so consumed with sex that it's all they think about.

Maybe you're lucky! You haven't had some of the experiences that others have had.

I don't see ANYWHERE in his post that he was implying that he wanted or did not want to participate in gay sex.

He just said "I'm Straight!"

Is that a crime?

Edited by TimTang

I don't find it STRANGE at all! Given the anonymity of the internet there are many predators that use it to find potential partners or victims. I've had friends and co-workers that are gay that were nice people and never presented any problems. But I've also had some bad experiences where gays forced themselves on me, as if I could be gay too, if I just tried a little harder. I've found that some gays are so consumed with sex that it's all they think about.

Maybe you're lucky! You haven't had some of the experiences that others have had.

biggrin.gif

Classic.

You must be really hot.

LOL.

Totally! I'm straight as can be but I bet I'd force myself on him too...

EDIT to ADD:

It must be a drag knowing that every time you want to go out for a beer with some guy, you have to worry about them possibly being overcome with desire for you...

Edited by SteeleJoe

I can't see how anyone could confuse wanting to meet some people and hang out over a beer, with wanting to get together for gay sex. Seems a very, very strange self-introduction.

... I've also had some bad experiences where gays forced themselves on me, as if I could be gay too, if I just tried a little harder. ...

Guess you missed the fab opportunity to read the recent posting advising us that all males should get drunk and try it once--when they are 7-- and that they might be surprised. They might just like it!

Maybe you should try a little harder.

:whistling:

P.S. Just kidding. I agree with you 100%

You must be really hot.

LOL.

...and you must be really gay!

There's nothing wrong with that. Sex is a wonderful thing and regardless of your sexual orientation it's enjoyable and brings great pleasure. What I find annoying about gays is that they feel that they have to define their ENTIRE character by their sexuality. They feel that they must create their own clubs, night-clubs, organizations, political movements...you name it!...due to their sexual orientation. I don't define my entire character by my choice of sexuality. When was the last time you saw a HETEROSEXUAL parade in San Francisco.

The entire gay movement is DIVISIVE by nature. It's an US vs. THEM mentality. The more attention brought to the movement the more divisive it becomes. I don't understand why sexuality has to be promoted to the point where it becomes "you're either with us or against us."

Jeez! You guys are rough. Chill out. Poor guys a newbie and already experienced the negativity here on TV. :angry:

Welcome OP! Bangkok is fantastic. Easy to meet others...good and bad...just like anywhere else. There are several places to meet others.

I recommend we move this over to the Bangkok forum. Thaivisa has parties from time to time. Watch the Bangkok forum for this, as well as other events.

You must be really hot.

LOL.

...and you must be really gay!

There's nothing wrong with that. Sex is a wonderful thing and regardless of your sexual orientation it's enjoyable and brings great pleasure. What I find annoying about gays is that they feel that they have to define their ENTIRE character by their sexuality.

Dude...this whole argument was about a supposedly STRAIGHT guy who in the first few words of a self-introduction said "don't worry I'm straight".

Talk about defining one's "ENTIRE character" by their sexuality...".

LOL.

:rolleyes:

Several posts. How many with advice for the op?

Op, I suggest you read the other thread in this Bangkok forum. The one called new to Bkk. While the other guy is somewhat older than you, there are proposed ideas that can apply to any age group.

I'm closing this one as it's mostly irrelevant stuff that won't be of use to anyone. If you have some concern, feel free to send me a message.

Good luck and welcome to Thailand

Ps. I assume u are here on work? Hopefully some colleagues are friendly enough to help you familiarize with Bkk. They usually are. Cheers