Hangover II: Bad Fiction, Films Fine - It's Bad Reality That Really Upsets

webfact

I guess you would have rather it have been made in the style of a Thai comedy with canned laughter. Maybe that would have been more realistic of thai culture.

I'd say Hangover 2 is very much a Thai style comedy, maybe not canned laughter, but jokes are lame and crude, a cookie cutter lazy film making just like most Thai comedies. Maybe slightly better but not much

Funniest thing i find is.....people that are moaning about how rubbish the film is, but spent the money to go watch it...5555

Did you not see the first one, or did you have a frontal lobotomy between releases, and now you just dont find this sort of humour funny any more?????

You are supposed to let go of reality a touch when going to see silly films about silly situations.....its a comedy....... and comedy is a broader area than many here obviously have the capability of appreciating....you think its worse than a Thai comedy......it was the same as the first 'Hangover' just a different city.

I believe some people just cant detatch from reality, and should probably just watch the news.......or listen to the radio......or just sit and watch the grass grow!!!

Edited by Maiz183

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is rather an unusual article from the Nation.

I would suggest that had one of the members of T.V, as opposed to a sponsor posted such an article it would have been quickly removed and possibly the poster suspended.

The post at the very least is extremely critical of the Thai media and establishment in general,(deservedly so - and the Nation is included in this observation) and some of the subject matter is even bordering on a bit of L.M itself!

A strange article, very interesting, but strange non the less.

Edited by Willeyeam

I guess you would have rather it have been made in the style of a Thai comedy with canned laughter. Maybe that would have been more realistic of thai culture.

I'd say Hangover 2 is very much a Thai style comedy, maybe not canned laughter, but jokes are lame and crude, a cookie cutter lazy film making just like most Thai comedies. Maybe slightly better but not much

Can't wait to see it.

Downloaded a good cam version and watched it yesterday.

I didn't think it was that good.

I was surprised that the scene with the monk, monkey, water bottle and the simulation of oral sex hasn't been mentioned. I thought that would be offensive to Thais.

What is the big deal with the monk? Is he a real monk or someone portraying a real monk?

Get over it just as most Thai people will. You will see plenty of supposed 'real monks' wandering around computer malls looking for all kinds of videos and computer games. There was also the famous and widely forwarded e-mails of a Thai monk shagging a dog not so many years ago.

Most Thais know that there are good monks and bad monks out there. So having a fictitious character portraying a supposed holy figure as part of a movie is hardly shocking.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hangover-ii-biggest-comedy-bow-192954

Shattering numerous records, Warner Bros.’ The Hangover Part II grossed $137.4 million in its five-day launch at the domestic box office

Overseas, Hangover opened to $60.3 million from 40 countries--thee times higher than the firstHangover and bringing the sequel's global bow to almost $200 million. Hangover grossed $16.7 million in the U.K., the best ever launch for a U.S. comedy, as well as the top opening of 2011, while it earned $11.9 milion in Australia.

What is the big deal with the monk? Is he a real monk or someone portraying a real monk?

He's an actor, of course. A real monk would never portray that role.

Incidentally, the real life story of this actor is rather fascinating and might make for a better movie than this movie.

His name is Aroon Seeboonruang and he's lived in America for years.

In 1992, he was 79 years old. That makes him 98 now, which is astounding, given his role in the film.

I mention 1992 because that is the year of this article about him by the largest newspaper in California, his home state.

Los Angeles Times

April 5, 1992

Serving His Homeland : Seeboonruang, 79, Embraces Tutelage of Thai Youth as a Labor of Love

Around the tennis courts he is known as "Mr. Thai." He tutors and champions young players from his native Thailand and dreams of the day his homeland leaps to prominence in tennis. "We hope that some day we will have a player like Michael Chang," said Aroon Seeboonruang, who at age 79 has the energy and enthusiasm to spearhead the project. Seeboonruang (pronounced SEE-boon-rung) is known as the godfather of the Thai Tennis Assn., an unofficial Valley group that has more than 500 members. On Sundays, Seeboonruang often can be found at the Poly High tennis courts, giving free instruction to as many as 50 Thai children.

He has become the tennis mentor for many Thai children in the Valley, helping them to improve their game. Although Seeboonruang concentrates on developing players, he still wields a hefty racket himself. He is entered in the Southern California Seniors Invitational Tennis tournament that began Saturday at The Racquet Centre of Universal City. The tournament is the largest senior event in Southern California with more than 750 entries.

Seeboonruang, 5-foot-6 and 135 pounds, is scheduled to begin play Monday. He was rated No. 11 in the 75-and-over division in the 1991 Southern California rankings. "I'm fit and I don't get tired," he said proudly. "My strength is endurance. If I have to go three sets against these guys, I usually win."

He needs endurance simply to maintain a fast-paced lifestyle that would tire a man 30 years his junior. He lives in Arleta with his 39 year-old wife Tina. They have three children: Fontip, 7; Tanawan, 6; and Emily, 3. He also has a son by a previous marriage and two grandchildren. His wife is a full-time registered nurse, which means his latest career is playing "Mr. Mom."

Interesting story continues:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-04-05/sports/sp-894_1_thai-children

==============================================================================

A shot of him in Hangover II (seated in wheelchair)

MV5BMzU5MzQxMDM3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc3NzMyNQ_V1_SX640_SY427_.jpg

==============================================================================

Being interviewed on Thai television earlier this year

aron.jpg

===============================================================================

According to IMDB, this has been his only movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4442296/

Edited by Buchholz

Shame on Hollywood for not showing farmers walking into bullets, riots, politicians getting gunned down, tourists getting beaten and robbed, etc. That would have been a more accurate version to focus on, right?

sure! it would make a good, accurate documentary

as for the movie, it isn't that the stereotypes make it bad, or some peoples take how they make Thailand look bad.. it is just a bad movie. What is it about Bangkok that attracts talentless directors and bad script? Bangkok Dangerous with Nicolas Cage, shot in BKK also sucked. Bangkok would make a wonderful background for a movie, Hangover 2 just isn't it

I saw that Nicholas Cage film too. He's been in some really bad films ( and a few good ones ) but that film was one of the worst I've ever seen.

has Tyson been rehabilitated in the States? Can't understand why they would have been fawning all over him otherwise. He certainly can't sing.

Funniest thing i find is.....people that are moaning about how rubbish the film is, but spent the money to go watch it...5555

Did you not see the first one, or did you have a frontal lobotomy between releases, and now you just dont find this sort of humour funny any more?????

You are supposed to let go of reality a touch when going to see silly films about silly situations.....its a comedy....... and comedy is a broader area than many here obviously have the capability of appreciating....you think its worse than a Thai comedy......it was the same as the first 'Hangover' just a different city.

I believe some people just cant detatch from reality, and should probably just watch the news.......or listen to the radio......or just sit and watch the grass grow!!!

I'd disagree about that. I enjoyed the first one, and how can we find out if we like the film or not if we don't "pay" to see it?

has Tyson been rehabilitated in the States? Can't understand why they would have been fawning all over him otherwise. He certainly can't sing.

I have no issue with Tyson being in the movie but find it odd they wouldn't let Mel Gibson (award winning actor) be in the film, largely over his vocal rants, but have no issue with a convicted rapist (non-actor) being in the movie.

Get over it just as most Thai people will. You will see plenty of supposed 'real monks' wandering around computer malls looking for all kinds of videos and computer games. There was also the famous and widely forwarded e-mails of a Thai monk shagging a dog not so many years ago.

Most Thais know that there are good monks and bad monks out there. So having a fictitious character portraying a supposed holy figure as part of a movie is hardly shocking.

What annoyed me about this scenario is that a monk is prepared to break all his vows about booze and women, but won't speak due to vow of silence. Good grief!

I would say the worst part of the film was the smoking monkey (poor git) how did he manage that I ask (cant see him going into the 7/11 and asking for L&M si faar khrap)

Actually H Stern was interviewing the Director the other day. The monkey and the cigarette were real. The ember and the smoke were CGI. :)

I would say the worst part of the film was the smoking monkey (poor git) how did he manage that I ask (cant see him going into the 7/11 and asking for L&M si faar khrap)

Actually H Stern was interviewing the Director the other day. The monkey and the cigarette were real. The ember and the smoke were CGI. :)

Nobody actually got shot or drugged in the film either. Nor did an actor's heart stop and spend a day in an icebox. Nobody actually got a tattoo on their face or pigs blood on them or had their finger cut off either. Should we go on? wink.gif

Yes I agree it is just a funny movie, and as far as really depicting the real view of Bangkok, it only touched the tip of the iceberg, with what really goes on there behind the scenes.

Why are people up in arms about the movie, S_it can't people have fun anymore, do they always have to tear everything apart !!!!!!!:jap:

I saw the movie and thought it was a really funny experience -B)

Edited by PingManDan

The movie was so bad that I turned it off around half way through. As somebody else pointed out the writer of the article mentions a few things about the movie and then bizarrely goes into a rant about LM laws.

If you haven't seen the movie yet do yourself a favor and skip it. Thailand has tons of material for a funny movie but this isn't it. The scene with the ladyboys was somewaht funny but being it is a film about Thailand we already knew this would happen.

This article has nothing to do with the movie. It's just a dig at LM laws.

So for example, "all Thais" are depicted by most mass media as having "unreserved reverence and love" for the King and the monarchy. When that narrative gets affected by Thais who express themselves otherwise with regards to the royal institution, they get quietly thrown into jail through the lese majeste or computer crime law. And in the case of 'Da Torpedo', her lese majeste trial was even conducted in secret, while the media tried to play down the news as much as possible, if not ignore it altogether.

These people simply got in the way of a feel-good story line, and the growing number of arrests has become an inconvenient reality. And so they will be further ignored and edited out of the "normal" conversation about Thai people's relations with the monarchy, politics and society.

Never mind if by doing so, things become inaccurate or even distorted, because what the authorities and most mass media want is to ensure that the grand narrative is convincing, special and unspoiled from unwanted distractions to the plot.

I have little problem about the selectivity and simplistic description of Bangkok in the movie "Hangover Part II" because it's fiction. But when most mass media keep on making a simplistic and fictitious portrayal of the current state of Thai society and politics, especially regarding facts and the issue of people's relationship to the monarchy, they are doing a disservice to society and only hindering Thailand from ever maturing.

Agreed, very little to do with the film.

Hard to believe that this movie was shot in Bangkok at all. How the heck do you shoot a two hour movie in BKK and not have one good looking girl in the final print, save for the bride. Even the very short scene shot in Tilac sucked, those fat girls in the background hardly impressed. I saw this in the US and did not get any impression whatsoever that any men living here would have any desire to book a trip if they have not been here before. Our secret is safe!!! :)

All the internal shots in the clubs was done on a soundstage in the US with Asian-American actresses/extras - so no wonder they where chubbier...

It's just a funny movie. They play on stereotypes because it makes people laugh. Many movies do this. Thai movies are no better when depicting 'farangs'.

Maybe the scenes where we see ladyboys, drugs and crime is more of shock to the locals than it is to people abroad watching this movie. I know all about the bad side of Bkk, and I know all about the good side.

Go into the movie with an open mind and just take the movie for what it is.

well spoken.....IT IS A MOVIE ! not a documentary !

on a rather mute point, the end credits featured a monk in some of the fotos, this didn't go down well with the Thai's in the cinema, maybe the producers should have been a little more 'tasteful' !

Great film though !

I think what was probably upsetting was that the "monk" was supposedly drinking alcohol.

I thought the movie was as funny as a bucket of vomit. Obviously trading on the success of the first one which I did like, they must of saved on the writers this time.

IMO the plot was full of holes, too many totally implausible scenarios eg the car chase sequence. The resort area looked to me like Phang Nga, but they supposedly took a speedboat to and from Bangkok in a couple of hours!

They messed up the continuity too. The trio left USA on a Jumbo, and arrived in a 2 engine plane.

Apart from the usual "Bangkok" panorama shots, the scenes could have been almost anywhere, with the exception of Tilac Bar on Soi Cowboy, which I know well. Wasn't a katoey bar when I used to hang out there, though.

All in all, glad I went on cheap day, as wasn't worth more than 100 bht.

With regards to their flying, this was one area where the film was spot on. They were shown on Delta. Delta flies from about 8 different US cities to Tokyo-Narita, with the majority being on 747s (MSP, DTW, ATL, JFK, and sometimes SLC and LAX/SFO). The connection from Tokyo to BKK has almost always been on an A330 for the last several years (have flown these planes on these routes on DL many times). Even the interior of the plane had DL's economy style seating (on the A330). Pretty legit to me.

While I'm not an expert on Tilac and don't frequent it regularly, rest assured there are few, if any katoeys in there currently.

I am curious to know if they edited the penis scene in theaters in Thailand.

Yes. These parts (no pun intended) were censored / blurred.

I shalln't be going to see the film. I like a drink and am not beyond getting drunk occasionally, but I despise the current generation's celebration of all things lad and ladette. Yeah I know I must be an old fart, lighten up etc etc. Just one person's viewpoint.

nope, no lobotomy, 1st one was a very good comedy

Of course all the movies and TV shows made by Thai's are extremely accurate in their representation of Thailand.

Thailand should be happy for the free publicity because I don't think anyone would come here based on what you see on Thai media.

Edited by canuckamuck