The Peasants Are Revolting.

Thaddeus

Something rather odd happened in the not so sleepy town of Ban Kruat yesterday the likes of which I have never heard of in Isaan before.

There was a large angry mob of locals occupying the grounds of the police station demanding that the current police chief is kicked out.

I am not too sure of the exact details but what I can gather is that during the time of the skirmish with Cambodia in April, the police were more concerned about scamming money out of the people that had to be evacuated rather than helping them in this distressing time.

Is the worm turning at last?

I do hope so.

We can but hope, stranger things have happened.

Don;t think the worm has turned, it's that we just don't understand the system. The police can do there job, but they can't step over the line of what is exceptable. Seen it here new small police post set up. Load of cops turn up and start the helmet stops etc. That night the station with only 2 cops staying there came under attack. Next day District police chief, local village headmen and sub district gov have a meeting. Police are allowed back, but no more road blocks. Jim

As far as I can gather, rural Thais are often quite assertive in their resistance to corrupt policemen. This is apparently because the police usually work in the same areas that their families live, and family pressure and reputation with their neighbours tends to moderate their urges to be dishonest. Thus, when a policeman behaves badly, the affected locals feel that they can do something about it.

The riot was initialized by truck drivers who transport rubber from the area. The head of ploice charged them too much for trespasing Ban Kruat roads. They blocked the road and claimed this man to be dismissed. At the end the head of police had to leave, he is now displaced close to Chonburi and a new head of police resides in Ban Kruat. But true, I also was surprised that the locals get up. Nice to see....

fatfather

The riot was initialized by truck drivers who transport rubber from the area. The head of ploice charged them too much for trespasing Ban Kruat roads. They blocked the road and claimed this man to be dismissed. At the end the head of police had to leave, he is now displaced close to Chonburi and a new head of police resides in Ban Kruat. But true, I also was surprised that the locals get up. Nice to see....

fatfather

Ahh, so that is what started it, well, let's hope that the new chap is a little more honest.

(and so far today mate, I haven't vomited, oh, and you won that last game with a little help)

fatfather

Ahh, so that is what started it, well, let's hope that the new chap is a little more honest.

(and so far today mate, I haven't vomited, oh, and you won that last game with a little help)

Sometimes Thad, your posts have a little bit TOO much detail........

fatfather

Sometimes Thad, your posts have a little bit TOO much detail........

Hence my avatar ;)

Surely, some sort of "awakening" is in progress among the peasants. Some people think it's overdue. I hope that the many farangs living in the Isaan use common sense and stay out of politics and regard themselves as what they are: = Guests, no more and no less.

Just food for thaught: If some smart alec, (that happens to be part of the rulig elite in BKK), decides that a lot of the many farangs living in the Isaan are also resposible for spreading despicable thoughts about democracy, freedom of speach etc.etc, are part of the "awakening", the price to pay for farangs may be high. Once the farang-community should be isolated as also being part of the crowd that is sprading the "wrong gospel", there may be trouble ahead. (The scapegoat-syndrome).

Like: No matter how much the farang has invested in Thailand already or how many family-members depend on his support, it may (all of a sudden) get very hard to extend retirement / marriage visas. I think you get my drift.

So and again, the course of action for a farang sould be: Stay out of it ! But to display political neutrality is hard. What colour of T-Shirts must therefore a farang avoid unless he makes (knowingly or unknowingly) a political statement as far as his clothing is concerned:

-Gold/Pink = already taken !

-Red = already taken !

-Green = already taken ! (you are a muslim).

-Brown = already taken ! (Nazi colour).

-Black = already taken ! (Your name is Johnny Cash or you are an undertaker).

What remains?

White? No, in Thailand it stands for death and mourning.

Blue? No, stands for alcoholics (at least in Europe = blue nose).

I am running out of colours! Heaven forbid: Walk around without any clothes?

Cheers.

PS: The alert reader will notice, that this post consists of a rather serious part and a less serious part! But both focus on the same theme.

Look at the history of Europe the "peasant" will revolt and its not going to be nice.

My wife and kids have passports and we live close to Cambodia/Laos and when it happens I am ready to leave everything behind, its going to happen maybe not on July 4th but within the next couple of decades.

People are getting fed up.

Look at the history of Europe the "peasant" will revolt and its not going to be nice.

My wife and kids have passports and we live close to Cambodia/Laos and when it happens I am ready to leave everything behind, its going to happen maybe not on July 4th but within the next couple of decades.

Against whom will the 'peasants' revolt ?

Think carefully before answering and consider the position of those European peasants versus the so-called Thai peasants.

Are they? And fed up with what?

Perhaps you find Thailand and Thai through foreign devil eyes with foreign references and thought regarding.

I can't really see how any such rebellion [largely invented in the minds of outsiders whom haven't a clue] would be beneficial to the culture at large.

Something rather odd happened in the not so sleepy town of Ban Kruat yesterday the likes of which I have never heard of in Isaan before.

There was a large angry mob of locals occupying the grounds of the police station demanding that the current police chief is kicked out.

Towns of a feather?

A town by the same name (usually written as Ban Krud) in PKK province did pretty much the same. They told the big boss in BKK, "If you don't remove him, we will!"

This is the same beach community that fought off an attempt to build a coal-fire power plan in the area. In that case their mantra was, "You build it, we'll burn it!"

Gotta watch out for those Krustaceans! ;)

I can't really see how any such rebellion [largely invented in the minds of outsiders whom haven't a clue] would be beneficial to the culture at large.

I knew we would eventually find something ee agreed upon.