Building Materials....

extexthai

Greetings all...I had this in the DIY housing forum and got no replies...I would think most of us that have already been through the construction phase no longer has much reason to go there, so I am putting it here. I am looking for some kind of expansion joint material one would put in between the house and a poured sidewalk adjacent to the house (or any adjoining concrete areas). I have seen how they just pour right up to the wall and in a matter of weeks, sometimes months....it cracks away and looks like heck. I have some repairing on this matter to do as well as a future patio project that will not have those issues...hopefully. If nothing else, I will use teak ripped to dimensions, but looking for regular expansion joint material, if indeed it can be obtained here. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. ett

Hi,

Yes the settlement cracks are quite normal if a pain to deal with.

Best way is to find some rope of a slightly larger diameter thna the gap. You then use a wide bladed cold chisel (Bolster in UK)and ram the rope into the gap about 1cm down from the top. This will prevent an imense amount of sealant flowing down into the crack.

There are numerous sealants available on the market but please dont use the typical "silicone" as it hardens and the crack with re-appear in no time. There is a Sika product available, I think, from Sahapaibul on the left after leaving the highway at Prasobsuk junction on the way in to the old bus station.

You will need to apply a primer usually sold separately so that the sealant will stick and stay stuck. You then apply the sealant using a sqeeze gun and can smooth the top with your finger after spraying with a mild solution of washing up liquid and water. That is, apply first, borrow wife's ironing spray bottle, spray sealant and wall/path and run your finger along. The soapy solution prevents it from sticking where you don't want it.

Let me know if you succeed.

Cheers

Hi,

Yes the settlement cracks are quite normal if a pain to deal with.

Best way is to find some rope of a slightly larger diameter thna the gap. You then use a wide bladed cold chisel (Bolster in UK)and ram the rope into the gap about 1cm down from the top. This will prevent an imense amount of sealant flowing down into the crack.

There are numerous sealants available on the market but please dont use the typical "silicone" as it hardens and the crack with re-appear in no time. There is a Sika product available, I think, from Sahapaibul on the left after leaving the highway at Prasobsuk junction on the way in to the old bus station.

You will need to apply a primer usually sold separately so that the sealant will stick and stay stuck. You then apply the sealant using a sqeeze gun and can smooth the top with your finger after spraying with a mild solution of washing up liquid and water. That is, apply first, borrow wife's ironing spray bottle, spray sealant and wall/path and run your finger along. The soapy solution prevents it from sticking where you don't want it.

Let me know if you succeed.

Cheers

Thanx a zillion. I will be doing this real soon. As soon as I am finished, I will definitely let you know how it all turned out. Again, thanks so much....ett

I've seen them use thin Sheets of styrofoam when allowing for expansion when building the concrete Roads. Should be easily available.

I actually have seen that done, but inside a building. Not sure how long it would stay on the outside, but then again....sealed up properly, it shouldn't be a big deal. Thanks for the info....ett

If rebar is drilled into the house footing, using epoxy to hold the bars in, then concrete pored, should never pull away from the house (given the slab area/walkway material is compacted properly).

I am kicking myself, over and over for not doing this part of it myself. The wife was all anxious to get this done while the original contractor was still in getting money from us mode, that those details went unchecked. Of course it was just half assed done and didn't start showing until way after the fact. Live and learn, eh? Sounds like you have a bit of construction experience under your belt. I had a difficult time finding epoxy here in Phayao and just resorted to drilling undersized and pounding rebar into the holes. That's what I showed them how I wanted it done....now did that really get done????....I doubt it. Judging from what is showing now, it did not. ett

It's probably just as well you didn't make a solid connection as the path would always be a likely candidate for differential settlement considering that teh main building is probably founded on sub-soil and the path on a mix of uncompacted waste from previous excavations and topsoil, neither of which are suitable.

Come on though, it's not highway construction here so allow it to move as it wants for a year or two then fill the gap. I guarantee the gao will alter between dry and wet seasons though so make sure whatever you fill with is flexible.

Good luck

If rebar is drilled into the house footing, using epoxy to hold the bars in, then concrete pored, should never pull away from the house (given the slab area/walkway material is compacted properly).

I am kicking myself, over and over for not doing this part of it myself. The wife was all anxious to get this done while the original contractor was still in getting money from us mode, that those details went unchecked. Of course it was just half assed done and didn't start showing until way after the fact. Live and learn, eh? Sounds like you have a bit of construction experience under your belt. I had a difficult time finding epoxy here in Phayao and just resorted to drilling undersized and pounding rebar into the holes. That's what I showed them how I wanted it done....now did that really get done????....I doubt it. Judging from what is showing now, it did not. ett