Talking On Eggshells

Nam Kao

Your biggest worry about getting ripped off here will come from fellow farangs.

Despite Parry's intellectual contribution, it remains true that farangs have more to fear from farangs than they do from Thai.

When I lived in France for 4 years the biggest scammers were brits who preyed on Brits who couldn't speak French. First quote I got for renovation work on my house was more than double the reputable French company who did the work.

There are expat losers everywhere who prey on their own and they are to be avoided as they are often sweaty and stinking of booze.

Cheers.

But it was no more than when was I standing in the US Embassy picking up my

wifes visa and while we waited we talked to 3 young Thai girls with tickets to

NYC for the first time. I told my wife "explain to these girls to be very careful over

there etc". And the girls seemed happy I told them.

It is one thing to criticize one's own country and countrymen and another thing entirely to criticize someone elses. My husband used to take great umbrage at my criticism of certain aspects of Thai nationalism, I learned to shut my mouth. (and yes, some women do learn how to do this! :o )

I went to a Thai/Cambodian new years party here in the US. So I am always

asking tons of questions to the Thai people here. I was talking to this recently

arrived Thai woman, a real nice person. I was unveiling my big plan to her of me checking

out of the ratrace here and SHE immediately brought up "Be careful Thai people over there".

My wife chymed in "Yes I take care him".

Another thing she brought up was interesting. A disturbing thing she noticed here and upsets

her is the Thai's who come to the US to live are not friendly towards other Thai's here

and show know respect. She was amazed how cold they became inside.

Another comment was she came here single and ended marrying a Thai man

(seemed like a nice guy) here because everyone (Thais) told her if she married a

falang he would not support her poor mother back in Thailand. Interesting.

After a few pops I was talking to a group of mixed thai and cambodian men and I

asked a Thai guy loudly "When is Thailand taking back Angkor Wat :o

Sorry,,, had to, COULD NOT RESIST :D

Guest IT Manager
Rip offs in thailand..........

are they confined to the touristy areas?

They have various levels of both intent and scope.

No, in reality they are not confined to the tourist areas on the whole, but they are more concentrated or perhaps more visible there.

In my village I don't consider it a rip off, if a tradesman says to me 200 baht per day, when I know quite well that he would charge 150 to the neighbours. The relative size is the material issue.

I can afford tyo pay the extra 50 baht, and I know the next time I will get as good or better work, than if I said "but you only charges Loong Com 150 baht for a day', and force the pricing issue. Is it a rip-off? Thats a view taken variously by individuals.

:o .

After a few pops I was talking to a group of mixed thai and cambodian men and I

asked a Thai guy loudly "When is Thailand taking back Angkor Wat  :o

Sorry,,, had to, COULD NOT RESIST :D

Were you between them when you said it, what happened? B)

In my village I don't consider it a rip off, if a tradesman says to me 200 baht per day, when I know quite well that he would charge 150 to the neighbours. The relative size is the material issue.

At the end of the day, its all a negotiation process. If you agree to his price and he accepts what you are willing to pay, then everybody should be happy.

No point in being cheesed off if you later find out that someone else got a better deal than you.

I would only consider it a "rip off" if you agreed on services that weren't provided.

Had Septic tank put in last year.

The guy digs a hole in wet soil with a mattik and installs 3 cement rings(for want of better term).

Cost 300 baht took him 1/2 day, I'm happy he's happy. If he wants to do it cheaper for someone else, up to him, I don't care.

300 baht = $10 = 2 stubbies.

Did I mention it was stinkin hot and he got covered in s#$t.

Hi Nam Kao,

Well everyone got into you early, but I understand that you were more asking an opinion than slandering Thais - I would agree with The Dr as you do have to watch out for Farangs more than Thais and I also agree with penelope's post, that roo mark is a good thing from business people, but no a good thing when sitiing at a bar.

It sometimes is like walking on egg shells, but losing face here is part of the country, Thais have so much pride in King, country and themselves - maybe rephrase your words better - good luck to you.

Ice in beer I found it strange at first but not too bad after a while. Have trained the people where I drink the ice goes outside the bottle in whatever they can rustle up. You pay for the ice (no prob it doesnt make it'self) but cold beer ahhh, maybe the soapdodgers like it hot not this little black paed. :o