A Farang Living In Thailand

Beetlejuice

I don't have anything to prove to anyone. I don't want to integrate into Thai society. I think the Thai's are doing fine without me. I get to live in a country that has benefits that appeal to me and all of my dealings with Thai's are just fine. What I see is people who come here thinking that they are going to win, but they lose and their angry so they constantly moan about their pathetic life here. It's just common sense for them to decide to go home.

Actually I agree to a large extent. The young Westerners that arrive here hoping to find not only a better life, but a fortune - are in for a nasty suprise.

Fortunately, its generally old Westerners that arrive here who are amazed to find that they are incredibly attractive :rolleyes:. Obviously the plane journey changed them into incredibly attractive men....

Once it all goes 'pear shaped', they get bad-tempered about it.... never understanding that it was their capacity for self-delusion that caused the problem.

Few people immigrate to some new place and make it big .. but it happens. Most younger people seem to come here for a "change" and they find it. Some stay and some go.

I would agree that many old westerners get on a plane and when they get here they find life wonderful, new and exciting .. and when the bill comes they balk.

I would also assume that there are people that get on that same plane thinking they are secure and "all that and a bag of chips" and when they get off the plane they find the local competition too much for them in the looks and attitude department, things go pear-shaped, and they get bad-tempered about it.

In fact I am sure there are millions of similar stories with minor variations ... all over the globe. Thailand isn't unique in this at all.

Yes, and some commit suicide after losing everything - I know as one committed suicide outside my house. He arrived here a young, healthy man - lost EVERYTHING (boat, house etc.).

Again, you're quite right, there are women that retire here with their husbands and find they are less attractive than the local women who are interested in nothing but money.... and their hubbies are stupid enough to believe that they are suddenly incredibly attractive :lol:

Just how Thai do people want to be, and why? It's like wanting to belong to the society of a white trash trailer park, and makes no sense at all.

What makes "no sense" is why would a person who feels this way want to live here? Perhaps you need to get out and meet a better class of people. You attempt to insult the Thai people says a heck of a lot more about you than it does about them.

My suggestion to you is don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Actually my post was a little harsh and I probably should not have said that. The Thai people are not the equivalent of white trailer trash. However, I do find it amazing that so many people see Thailand as some sort of utopia, or at least interesting enough to prefer it over Australia or California. I see it as a developing country, and not a particularly good one, which mean it is essentially got a long way to go before it meets the standards of almost all the countries we have left behind. I can not imagine that should your home countries decent to the state of Thailand but become a lot cheaper you would all suddenly run home.

Before anyone repeats the 'why be here' mantra I will again repeat that I am leaving in two months.

Just how Thai do people want to be, and why? It's like wanting to belong to the society of a white trash trailer park, and makes no sense at all.

What makes "no sense" is why would a person who feels this way want to live here? Perhaps you need to get out and meet a better class of people. You attempt to insult the Thai people says a heck of a lot more about you than it does about them.

Actually my post was a little harsh and I probably should not have said that. The Thai people are not the equivalent of white trailer trash. However, I do find it amazing that so many people see Thailand as some sort of utopia, or at least interesting enough to prefer it over Australia or California. I see it as a developing country, and not a particularly good one, which mean it is essentially got a long way to go before it meets the standards of almost all the countries we have left behind. I can not imagine that should your home countries decent to the state of Thailand but become a lot cheaper you would all suddenly run home.

Before anyone repeats the 'why be here' mantra I will again repeat that I am leaving in two months.

Couldn't agree more. But, if you are looking for a woman, its Nirvana - never mind your age you will find a younger woman that is panting to prove how much she loves you.

I would die of boredom if I had to live in either California or Australia.

I've absolutely no doubt you would. The vast majority of women there would not be interested in a far older man. To make it worse, they would be looking for love, not money.

Boredom in California isn't so bad, preferable to living in fear like you would in some parts.

I don't understand what you mean. I die of boredom here. Outside of tourist hubs I can not find any activity's. Until I moved to Pattaya I could not find the things I like to do, which include squash clubs, badminton clubs, running clubs, remote control clubs or a half decent gym. These are all available back home. There are also few good concerts or theater here. Good book shops are few and far between too. The countryside is largely inaccessible here too. Also my running is limited due to terrible drivers. Mountain biking isn't advised due to lack of tracks and apparently snakes. The pool is off limits for large parts of the day due to the sun. There are plenty of places to eat for sure, but I find many are substandard. Also the beer is ten times better at home. Driving is a painful experience here but a pleasure at home. It's even hard to walk from point A to point B here thanks to appalling pavements and the heat. At home we can walk from the house to pretty much anywhere. What is it that you do here that makes your home country boring?

I'm not being presumptuous but is it the women?

I don't have anything to prove to anyone. I don't want to integrate into Thai society. I think the Thai's are doing fine without me. Even The bar girls.:lol: :lol:

Yes, and some commit suicide after losing everything - I know as one committed suicide outside my house. He arrived here a young, healthy man - lost EVERYTHING(boat, house etc.).

Oh !! that's a classic.:lol::D

As said, women have nothing to do with it. I'm married and have been for over 20 years.

I live in Bangkok, and find the overall vibe exciting. The markets, the street life, the restaurant and nightlife scene, the hustle and bustle. The shopping, cinemas, health care, health clubs -- all better here.

Heat and broken pavements don't bother me in the least.

I don't have anything to prove to anyone. I don't want to integrate into Thai society. I think the Thai's are doing fine without me. Even The bar girls.:lol: :lol:

Yes, and some commit suicide after losing everything - I know as one committed suicide outside my house. He arrived here a young, healthy man - lost EVERYTHING(boat, house etc.).

Oh !! that's a classic.:lol::D

Yes, it is typical. But it happened and I don't find it funny at all.

Yes, and some commit suicide after losing everything - I know as one committed suicide outside my house. He arrived here a young, healthy man - lost EVERYTHING (boat, house etc.).

Again, you're quite right, there are women that retire here with their husbands and find they are less attractive than the local women who are interested in nothing but money.... and their hubbies are stupid enough to believe that they are suddenly incredibly attractive :lol:

People commit suicide everywhere too --- again it isn't just a Thailand thing.

Yet again you seem to paint a picture of both foreign men (particularly older ones) and of Thai women that simply borders on trolling. Many local women are looking for "better" options than they have found in local men, Many are just looking for money (just like many women in the West marry for the money and sense of stability and security it offers) and finally many are looking for love.

I try not to pigeon-hole any large group into a stereotype (I admittedly fail sometimes!) and I am happy that so many people find happiness here. Many, however, don't find any kind of happiness at all in Thailand. They should move on if they are not just the type that are unhappy anywhere. Not on a "if you don't like it leave" basis ... but on a "life is too short to live some place where you are miserable" basis.

One thing hold for many (certainly not all) people that move to a different culture and that is they find their lives unsatisfactory on one level or another. I was one of those. I moved here after having lived in 5 different states in the USA and spent significant amounts of time overseas in various locations. Thailand was one of those places I had spent months living in back in 1997, and had visited afterwards a few times. I got sick in the US and after a somewhat miraculous recovery had decided life was too short to spend it doing things I didn't love, and in a place I didn't love. I did something about it when I was 39 and moved here. My level of contentment/happiness and yes even joy have gone WAY up because of that choice ....

Others move here with the same baggage and find only themselves looking back in the mirror. They don't choose to change in any significant way and end up a mess. Some go home, some commit suicide, some stay and complain, and some just pack up and move somewhere else again ... usually only to find that mirror once again.

As said, women have nothing to do with it. I'm married and have been for over 20 years.

I live in Bangkok, and find the overall vibe exciting. The markets, the street life, the restaurant and nightlife scene, the hustle and bustle. The shopping, cinemas, health care, health clubs -- all better here.

Dig it, works for me. I live in Bangkok, and I never really felt out of place here.

I interact with the knowledge that they don't particularly like us - but they sure do like our money!

I disagree to a certain degree with this, let me tell you about a little experience i had.

When i moved from Bangkok to the stick, i wanted to relocate my bank account as well, so i went to a local branch here to made the transfer, i have been "greeted" by 2 guys in their late 60's, which could perfectly understand of what i was talking about, probably the branch manager, and the response in english was "we don't want farang here, we don't do business with farangs", so not always interested in money :D and i am sure someone will soon come up with a reason finding out my faults :lol:

People commit suicide everywhere too --- again it isn't just a Thailand thing.

Yet again you seem to paint a picture of both foreign men (particularly older ones) and of Thai women that simply borders on trolling. Many local women are looking for "better" options than they have found in local men, Many are just looking for money (just like many women in the West marry for the money and sense of stability and security it offers) and finally many are looking for love.

I try not to pigeon-hole any large group into a stereotype (I admittedly fail sometimes!) and I am happy that so many people find happiness here. Many, however, don't find any kind of happiness at all in Thailand. They should move on if they are not just the type that are unhappy anywhere. Not on a "if you don't like it leave" basis ... but on a "life is too short to live some place where you are miserable" basis.

One thing hold for many (certainly not all) people that move to a different culture and that is they find their lives unsatisfactory on one level or another. I was one of those. I moved here after having lived in 5 different states in the USA and spent significant amounts of time overseas in various locations. Thailand was one of those places I had spent months living in back in 1997, and had visited afterwards a few times. I got sick in the US and after a somewhat miraculous recovery had decided life was too short to spend it doing things I didn't love, and in a place I didn't love. I did something about it when I was 39 and moved here. My level of contentment/happiness and yes even joy have gone WAY up because of that choice ....

Others move here with the same baggage and find only themselves looking back in the mirror. They don't choose to change in any significant way and end up a mess. Some go home, some commit suicide, some stay and complain, and some just pack up and move somewhere else again ... usually only to find that mirror once again.

You're right - pointing out that old Western men with young women is based on money, is obviously trolling....

Yes, those that get involved with Western men find them incredibly attractive and it has nothing whatsoever to do with money.

Unfortunately those that move here looking for a better life more often than not, find themselves in the same 'rat-hole' as most Westerners that marry the local women.

Then again, there are the odd few that avoid the pit-falls and enjoy all that Thailand has to offer.

Dig it, works for me. I live in Bangkok, and I never really felt out of place here.

I couldn't have said it better. I live in Pattaya for the same reasons. I don't go to the beach (except on Koh Larn) I go to walking st maybe 3-5 times a year, usually when someone is visiting. I love my home and my plants and my fish and messing around the house. The highlight of my week is dinner at Chery's on Wed night and Starbucks a few times a week to watch the pretty girls. I've been happily married for 5 years and don't miss the wild side of Pattaya at all, but I like knowing that it is there.

I think it is a Buddhist saying that "all suffering stems from expectations not meeting reality" Living a happy life is simple.

Edited by trisailer

I interact with the knowledge that they don't particularly like us - but they sure do like our money!

I disagree to a certain degree with this, let me tell you about a little experience i had.

When i moved from Bangkok to the stick, i wanted to relocate my bank account as well, so i went to a local branch here to made the transfer, i have been "greeted" by 2 guys in their late 60's, which could perfectly understand of what i was talking about, probably the branch manager, and the response in english was "we don't want farang here, we don't do business with farangs", so not always interested in money :D and i am sure someone will soon come up with a reason finding out my faults :lol:

I am convinced they really hate westerners. I hate the farang label, particularly when it's used in my presence to ID me. I see them mouth it onthe street it " Farang" . Why must they ID us by the colour of our skin constantly. I find it quite racist and their entire demeanor is rather cold behind the smiling facade.

No I would not recommend moving here to others and wish I had not done so.

While not calling you a liar, I find that story very, very hard to believe.

I am convinced they really hate westerners. I hate the farang label, particularly when it's used in my presence to ID me. I see them mouth it onthe street it " Farang" . Why must they ID us by the colour of our skin constantly. I find it quite racist and their entire demeanor is rather cold behind the smiling facade.

How long have you felt this way, and why haven't you moved somewhere else?

When you farangs finally are going to understand the situation? You are tolerated, never accepted for only and only one reason: you spend a lot of money in Thailand.

I do business with Thailand since 1976, lived in Thailand from 93-95, but NEVER it will be my home land. Police will try to rob you, taxi drivers swindle you, never you will be allowed to have your own house on a piece of land, and any voting right.. IMPOSSIBLE.

In my home country, Netherlands, we had in last government two deputy ministers of Turkish and Maroccan birth, now 8 members in parlement out of the 150 with a double nationality, the mayor of Rotterdam is Maroccan born. Can you imagine, the deputy-assistent-reserve mayor of any Thai village being NOT Thai ? Even a clerk ?

To get a non-immigrant visa to be Thai among the Thais: earlier Thailand will be covered by snow and ice. Go out, for dinner or whatsoever, and the Thais will chat all evening in Thai, leaving you to keep your chair warm. Only at the end of the evening, they will remember you, when the bill has to be taken up.

My 35 years experience: a farang is seen by the very strong narcistic Thai only as money spitting trash.

Sorry mate, I live in the other Thailand.

SC

What makes "no sense" is why would a person who feels this way want to live here? Perhaps you need to get out and meet a better class of people.

Yes, its the retort of so many who have no option other than to desperately believe that anyone who dares criticise needs to go back home.

Try to understand, some of us are honest enough to criticise whilst still appreciating the advantages of living here

Trisailor - we all know your wife is 'different' - you don't need to try to prove it....

If you agree that The Thai people are trailor trash than you also need to get out more and meet a better class of people. No intelligent, objective person is going to judge a whole society on the basis of the bar girls that you apparently only associate with. The Thai's that I know are no different than people in the west.

I suppose I should develop a new respect for white trailer trash, based on the opinions posted here and my experiences in Thailand.

SC

For me all that, and the public transport is better, it's much better for walking, amazing restaurants open 24/7, loads of cool things to do day or night, easily accessible, fascinating, and beautiful countryside, and I don't have to be worried walking around alone at night anywhere I want. Try walking in some big cities in the US alone at night, especially if you're the wrong skin color in the wrong area. Not only that, many are also boring because everyone with money has fled to the safety of the suburbs long ago (the suburbs are nice but incredibly boring). And the ones that are fun, interesting, and safe are hideously expensive. The real drawback I find here is the hot weather and the lack of diversity in food in most of the country

When you farangs finally are going to understand the situation? You are tolerated, never accepted for only and only one reason: you spend a lot of money in Thailand.

I do business with Thailand since 1976, lived in Thailand from 93-95, but NEVER it will be my home land. Police will try to rob you, taxi drivers swindle you, never you will be allowed to have your own house on a piece of land, and any voting right.. IMPOSSIBLE.

In my home country, Netherlands, we had in last government two deputy ministers of Turkish and Maroccan birth, now 8 members in parlement out of the 150 with a double nationality, the mayor of Rotterdam is Maroccan born. Can you imagine, the deputy-assistent-reserve mayor of any Thai village being NOT Thai ? Even a clerk ?

To get a non-immigrant visa to be Thai among the Thais: earlier Thailand will be covered by snow and ice. Go out, for dinner or whatsoever, and the Thais will chat all evening in Thai, leaving you to keep your chair warm. Only at the end of the evening, they will remember you, when the bill has to be taken up.

My 35 years experience: a farang is seen by the very strong narcistic Thai only as money spitting trash.

SC

Yeah, me too.

Let's take a brief poll of other Asian nations:

China? They hate everyone but the Chinese. They've considered themselves the center of the world for thousands of years, and that everyone else is a barbarian.

Japan? Ditto. They are (mostly) exceedingly polite in informal encounters, but the anti-foreign sentiment runs deep -- so deep that foreigners cannot patronize certain bars, bath houses, and saunas, and cannot rent "normal" apartments in many cases. Ethnic Koreans born and raised in Japan are still not considered Japanese and never will be.

Korea? Don't even get me started.

Malaysia. Whoa...have you ever heard of the Bumiputra policy and how it makes non-Malay Malaysian citizens second class citizens in their own country?

Indonesia? Just hope you're not Chinese or a Christian.

When you come down to it, there is no place in Asia where outsiders have been absorbed as freely and without racism as Thailand. They put half-Thai kids as a pedestal -- they love them, instead of treating them as freaks and half-breeds. You can live anywhere here, from the smallest village to the largest city, and people will largely bend over backwards to welcome you.

Foreigners here don't know how good they have it.

I moved to a small town three years ago. Every year I went to the BKK branch to get my latter for immigration. The manager (50's) asked me every year why I did not move my account from Chiang Mai to his small branch. Last year I brought some money in from Switzerland because I wanted it in Baht and opened up a time deposit at his bank. The head cashier did the paper work and he signed it. The head cashier asked me out for coffee after the transaction. I opened up another account in a small town so the municipality could direct deposit my pay check. The Mayor's assistant drove me to the bank and assisted. I didn't stand in line and the service was perfect including an international debit card.

I have 5 bank accounts in Thailand at different banks; never any problems.

While not calling you a liar, I find that story very, very hard to believe.

It was maybe personal, but they were just trying to save his face

SC

I moved to a small town three years ago. Every year I went to the BKK branch to get my latter for immigration. The manager (50's) asked me every year why I did not move my account from Chiang Mai to his small branch. Last year I brought some money in from Switzerland because I wanted it in Baht and opened up a time deposit at his bank. The head cashier did the paper work and he signed it. The head cashier asked me out for coffee after the transaction. I opened up another account in a small town so the municipality could direct deposit my pay check. The Mayor's assistant drove me to the bank and assisted. I didn't stand in line and the service was perfect including an international debit card.

I have 5 bank accounts in Thailand at different banks; never any problems.

Indeed. In fact, I am always slightly embarrassed by the deference I receive when I walk into a Thai bank -- anywhere. Some lovely young girl usually comes up and gives me a smile and a "wai", and offers to help me fill in the form. When they learn I can read and speak Thai, the smiles get even wider.

I can only surmise that people who receive bad attitude are getting a reflection of what they're giving off.

Of course I was fully aware that if I came to live in Thailand I would always be considered as a foreigner.

I have never felt any differently than this and never expect to. I am a foreigner living in a foreign land. It is our own unrealistic expectations that cause all the problems "fitting in".

Yep, spot on. Make an effort to integrate, and you can have a lovely life here.

I do.

SC

Yeah, me too.

Let's take a brief poll of other Asian nations:

China? They hate everyone but the Chinese. They've considered themselves the center of the world for thousands of years, and that everyone else is a barbarian.

Japan? Ditto. They are (mostly) exceedingly polite in informal encounters, but the anti-foreign sentiment runs deep -- so deep that foreigners cannot patronize certain bars, bath houses, and saunas, and cannot rent "normal" apartments in many cases. Ethnic Koreans born and raised in Japan are still not considered Japanese and never will be.

Korea? Don't even get me started.

Malaysia. Whoa...have you ever heard of the Bumiputra policy and how it makes non-Malay Malaysian citizens second class citizens in their own country?

Indonesia? Just hope you're not Chinese or a Christian.

When you come down to it, there is no place in Asia where outsiders have been absorbed as freely and without racism as Thailand. They put half-Thai kids as a pedestal -- they love them, instead of treating them as freaks and half-breeds. You can live anywhere here, from the smallest village to the largest city, and people will largely bend over backwards to welcome you.

Foreigners here don't know how good they have it.

My apologies in advance for a slightly off-topic anecdote; I was in Kobe or some other such city in Japan, apparently in a red light district near the main station. I might have been tempted to be led astray if I had known the routine, but all I could make out on the signs were prices, and it would be distressing to hand over all that money and then be given a karaoke microphone.

So the two of us, me and a Chinese colleague, went looking for a beer. "London Pub" - that sounds like the sort of place for us, so we went down the stairs, and down a corridor and into a little snug, just like a traditional English pub, where there were perhaps two or three people. As I recall, there was but a small bar, with no taps on it; anyway, we managed to explain that we were thirsty travellers from a distant land, but apparently it was not that sort of place. I have no idea what sort of place it was, so we gave up, caught the train back to the suburbs near to the factory, and went to 7-11.

I have never had an even-remotely similar experience in Thailand. Even in a Japanese karaoke place

SC

How long have you felt this way, and why haven't you moved somewhere else?

Has the " move somewhereelse" line ever worked with anyone who is simply responding honestly to a discussion forum?

Really won't go into detail of my personal situation but as this is a discussion forum I will give my view of Thai folk as disingenuous.

I'm also compiling the worst examples of blatant disregard of safety which is.. alarming. If tourists really knew

IMHO no westerner can ever be welcomed- only their money.

Edited by TigerWan