A Farang Living In Thailand

Beetlejuice

What advice is it that I have been given again? To "grow up" and realize that I don't really like Thailand at all?

I thought it was good advice - allow others their views without trying to negate it through your experiences.

I didn't try other countries first because I didn't realize the info I was getting some years ago was really quite censored.

Don't you state you have history coming to Thailand since the 70's?

Yes I did.

I came here first as a tourist in 1979 -- with family. That's the 70's...right?

I came again as a tourist in 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989.

Came to live permanently in 1990.

Am I imagining things, or are you stalking me?

What advice is it that I have been given again? To "grow up" and realize that I don't really like Thailand at all?

I thought it was good advice - allow others their views without trying to negate it through your experiences.

I didn't try other countries first because I didn't realize the info I was getting some years ago was really quite censored.

Don't you state you have history coming to Thailand since the 70's?

Yes I did.

I came here first as a tourist in 1979 -- with family. That's the 70's...right?

I came again as a tourist in 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1989.

Came to live permanently in 1990.

Am I imagining things, or are you stalking me?

Yes.

I mean yes you are imagining things, since I was asking TigerWan :) ((which is why her statement was the one closest to my question )) :)

Awoh...a much simpler answer would be that we really do like it here. It's more the unsuccessful people (financially and life-wise) who end up bitter, not those of us who have come here and done well for ourselves.

When people jump (in obvious anger) on any person who might say anything negative about Thailand (the love it or leave it and don't let the door hit you in the....), that shows "mental weakness."

Some people tire of certain posters who moan about how "terrible" Thailand is in pretty much every single post, but never seem to get around to leaving - know what I mean? ;)

Bottom line is if you ain't Thai you will never be full accepted and who cares not me. You are who you are and be proud of that. Other then our <deleted> football team I'm proud to be English when someone asks me where I'm from i don't have to mumble or whisper I'm proud to tell them that even though I'm learning Thai have (true) Thai mates and live in Thailand I will never try and be something/someone I'm not.

If you cant enjoy yourself here and be at the very least reasonably happy then there is something very flawed in your character.

^ Your mileage may vary.

Yours might .... but mine doesn't. Then again I don't think I have been on a Denver Colorado webforum since I moved to Thailand in 2003 --- except for a week in 2007, when I was going back to visit some friends and wanted some info :)

^ Your mileage may vary.

Yours might .... but mine doesn't. Then again I don't think I have been on a Denver Colorado webforum since I moved to Thailand in 2003 --- except for a week in 2007, when I was going back to visit some friends and wanted some info :)

Your claws are showing, jd. :)

Thankfully, I neither need nor seek your permission to post here.

Thailand is what you make of it. It can be heaven or hell or something in between, but this depends on you and you alone. Stop blaming others.

So as an extreme example, if you became the next fatality (hope not) of someone that then declares to the news " i only killed him because he's a farang" , that surely depends from you and you alone...well said :lol:

If you are convinced Thailand is as bad as you think it is; I can only conclude that you must be a terrible person to rub the noses of the poor people who have to live here in the dirt. It is like going to Laos and making fun of the farmers who have to grow rice in fields with land mines.

Here we are again..... how do you think a problematic situation might improve? are you one of those still professing the cult of inertia? or still waiting for mom & dad or Santa Claus to find a solution for any problem you might incur in life? And even worse, you actually want people that act in your interest as well to stop doing anything about it....wooow

:lol:

Awoh...a much simpler answer would be that we really do like it here. It's more the unsuccessful people (financially and life-wise) who end up bitter, not those of us who have come here and done well for ourselves.

When people jump (in obvious anger) on any person who might say anything negative about Thailand (the love it or leave it and don't let the door hit you in the....), that shows "mental weakness."

Some people tire of certain posters who moan about how "terrible" Thailand is in pretty much every single post, but never seem to get around to leaving - know what I mean? ;)

Others tire of people trying to antagonise at every oppotunity.

You lot who think its all so spiffy and perfect here in everyway and the other lot who hate everything about the place but won't leave are all as hopelessly lost as each other. If you could'nt come on here and snipe at each other everyday what would you do? :lol:

live by the rules and you wont have a problem.. I feel warmly accepted by my ladies family and all of the village.. Life is good

probably more for them than you ???

Its great to have wealth that you can spread around, and help look after those that you care about.

What more could a man ask for?

SC

Edit: Shouldn't it be ladies' families?

I donot care what thais think of me or for that matter other farangs. I have my friends we get along, no problems from immigration, nor the cops, what more can you ask for, O a cold beer and good food.

The non exceptance thing is why most immigrant groups or as stated earlier non-immigrants tend to live in their own groupsor neighbor hoods in the country of choice outside their own.

If you cant enjoy yourself here and be at the very least reasonably happy then there is something very flawed in your character.

May I ask how many other countries you have actually lived in?

I don't really understand the logic in this question? If the guy likes it here and he's happy then its irrelevent how many countries he has travelled to. I think you might be suggesting that he's selling himself short not trying out others places but again, each to their own. He's probably thinking that this is exactly the type of place he wants to live and therefore theres no need to look elsewhere.

Eitherway, if he's happy what does it matter? This guy also sounds reasonable in what he says not like some of these apologist numpties that start blubbering whining at what they percieve as the slightest negativity, basically being unable to accept a differing opinion. Mosts Thais i know think that type of expat are knobs too. :D

Bottom line is if you ain't Thai you will never be full accepted and who cares not me. You are who you are and be proud of that. Other then our <deleted> football team I'm proud to be English when someone asks me where I'm from i don't have to mumble or whisper I'm proud to tell them that even though I'm learning Thai have (true) Thai mates and live in Thailand I will never try and be something/someone I'm not.

Spot on post. :jap:

live by the rules and you wont have a problem.. I feel warmly accepted by my ladies family and all of the village.. Life is good

probably more for them than you ???

Its great to have wealth that you can spread around, and help look after those that you care about.

What more could a man ask for?

SC

Edit: Shouldn't it be ladies' families?

I Like :thumbsup: Thats Living :D

^ Your mileage may vary.

Your claws are showing, jd. :)

Thankfully, I neither need nor seek your permission to post here.

I wasn't implying that you needed my permission to post, nor should you not post. I was stating my relevant similar experience :) Your mileage may vary :)

Thailand is what you make of it. It can be heaven or hell or something in between, but this depends on you and you alone. Stop blaming others.

So as an extreme example, if you became the next fatality (hope not) of someone that then declares to the news " i only killed him because he's a farang" , that surely depends from you and you alone...well said :lol:

I don't get your logic. You do not have control over what others do. How could you? As is obvious from my post (or at least I thought so), I am talking about being happy or satisfied, something you control yourself. Being a happy and satisfied person up to being blown away does not change the fact that you were a happy and satisfied person.

I don't get your logic. You do not have control over what others do. How could you? As is obvious from my post (or at least I thought so), I am talking about being happy or satisfied, something you control yourself. Being a happy and satisfied person up to being blown away does not change the fact that you were a happy and satisfied person.

I suppose he (Surayu) was trying to blame others for his persistent worrying about being murdered, and suggesting that you should worry the same. To be honest, I haven't heard of many cases of random, racially motivated murders in Thailand. Anyway, I don't believe that we ever really hear the true reason for why things happen in Thailand; so if the hypothetical prospective alleged murderer were to say "because he was a farang", I very much doubt if that would be the real reason - like the chap a page or two back who was refused service at the bank.

Mind you, to spend time speculating on the credibility of motives of a purely hypothetical murder... I struggle to think of a more futile exercise (which I suppose is the answer to its own question...)

Let him blame whomever he wants; we are unlikely to rid him of his paranoia in this thread

SC

Getting back to the OP..... :rolleyes: yes, I'm sure that most of us miss our home countries at some point.

Never mind how long we have been here we will always be seen as 'farang' by the locals, even if they like us!

I know Westerners that have lived here for over 20 years, and whilst they 'understand' the Thai way of thinking, still find it objectionable.... Which is why most Westerners that have been here for a few years seek out other Westerners.

Its sad but true.

You do not have control over what others do. How could you?

Exactly, that's my point, you can be the happyest person around and even the best one could hope for....still you do not have control on external influences, being that a person, a natural event or whatever else, so, for this reason, i do not agree when you state that your situation depends "wholly" on you, it is true only to a certain degree.

I suppose he (Surayu) was trying to blame others for his persistent worrying about being murdered, and suggesting that you should worry the same. To be honest, I haven't heard of many cases of random, racially motivated murders in Thailand. Anyway, I don't believe that we ever really hear the true reason for why things happen in Thailand; so if the hypothetical prospective alleged murderer were to say "because he was a farang", I very much doubt if that would be the real reason - like the chap a page or two back who was refused service at the bank.

Mind you, to spend time speculating on the credibility of motives of a purely hypothetical murder... I struggle to think of a more futile exercise (which I suppose is the answer to its own question...)

Let him blame whomever he wants; we are unlikely to rid him of his paranoia in this thread

SC

Yes you right, you just find the right person scared of death :lol: C'mon SC, how can you deny that racism is an existing phenomenom?

I am not wanting to create panic or paranoias, but you have to realize that the environment you are in, is somewhat different from what you are used to in many cases, if especially locals tells on how easily someone can be killed and to avoid certain particular areas or habits, it must to be some truth in that. To me, it looks "life" here is not considered much, seems that many wouldn't make much difference between killing a fly or a person, then you can add the virtually non existent police force (for what concerns public safety or justice, not corruption or illegal activities) to the recipe....and what do you end up with?

You can choose to live in your "bubble", where everything is perfect, the police are your heroes, oppressing others it's just a sport, but remember, any of us can be next, so, it would be in your interest too doing your bit for a change.

I have said it before and I will say it again…. I could not give a flying fig if they don’t want me to blend in. I gave up a very long time ago and feel quite happy living in my ferang bubble. I have spent the best part of a decade living in Thailand and for the last 4 or 5 years I have totally changed my attitude towards Thai people. I simply don’t like them anymore.

When I first came to Thailand I wanted to soak up a new culture but now I remain here because I come from England, and England is cold and expensive. I earn a very good chunk of change each month working for myself but would prefer to see that money go a little further and in Thailand, I can do that. So for me, Thailand is about the beaches, the sun and the fact I can rent a tropical villa with a sea view for $1000 a month.

I have battled with the following thought for years but I succumb to it now and have done for a while; an extremely large amount of Thai people do not like long term ex-pats. They don’t want us here, period.

I find them one extreme or the other; poor Thais think we are silver spoon premadonnas who look down on them. Hi So Thai’s think we are scum with zero class. There is no middle ground with them.

So, to heck with them. It’s not my country – I don’t want it to be – I am here not as an ex-pat but as a very long term tourist.

I expect at some point I will swap countries and go somewhere more welcoming. There are times when I feel so dam_n alien here I ask myself why I am here.

I have said it before and I will say it again…. I could not give a flying fig if they don't want me to blend in. I gave up a very long time ago and feel quite happy living in my ferang bubble. I have spent the best part of a decade living in Thailand and for the last 4 or 5 years I have totally changed my attitude towards Thai people. I simply don't like them anymore.

When I first came to Thailand I wanted to soak up a new culture but now I remain here because I come from England, and England is cold and expensive. I earn a very good chunk of change each month working for myself but would prefer to see that money go a little further and in Thailand, I can do that. So for me, Thailand is about the beaches, the sun and the fact I can rent a tropical villa with a sea view for $1000 a month.

I have battled with the following thought for years but I succumb to it now and have done for a while; an extremely large amount of Thai people do not like long term ex-pats. They don't want us here, period.

I find them one extreme or the other; poor Thais think we are silver spoon premadonnas who look down on them. Hi So Thai's think we are scum with zero class. There is no middle ground with them.

So, to heck with them. It's not my country – I don't want it to be – I am here not as an ex-pat but as a very long term tourist.

I expect at some point I will swap countries and go somewhere more welcoming. There are times when I feel so dam_n alien here I ask myself why I am here.

I agree with you entirely but, we need to remember that whilst they think we are inferior, some grow to like us. It doesn't change anything, but if we provide them with money by using their services etc., at least we know they prefer us to stay here!

SC

Yes you right, you just find the right person scared of death :lol: C'mon SC, how can you deny that racism is an existing phenomenom?

I am not wanting to create panic or paranoias, but you have to realize that the environment you are in, is somewhat different from what you are used to in many cases, if especially locals tells on how easily someone can be killed and to avoid certain particular areas or habits, it must to be some truth in that. To me, it looks "life" here is not considered much, seems that many wouldn't make much difference between killing a fly or a person, then you can add the virtually non existent police force (for what concerns public safety or justice, not corruption or illegal activities) to the recipe....and what do you end up with?

You can choose to live in your "bubble", where everything is perfect, the police are your heroes, oppressing others it's just a sport, but remember, any of us can be next, so, it would be in your interest too doing your bit for a change.

My point was that to the best of my knowledge, random racist murders are not common here. Its probably the least safe country I have lived in, but I am more worried about street accidents than crimes of violence.

Any of us can be next wherever we go, but I don't recall who was last. The last acquaintance of mine who was involved in a racist attack was a Chinese student beaten up in Manchester; he was not a particularly close acquaintance. The last acquaintance of mine to be murdered was a former colleague, murdered in Saudi Arabia, but I believe that was not racially motivated. The last time I suffered racial abuse - as I recall, the only time, since leaving the UK, though I could be wrong, was while driving in Malaysia - it was not really abuse, particularly. Maybe I am fortunate to live a charmed life.

The only dealings I have had with the police here have been when they have picked upon infractions of the law which, in my view, were relatively minor; in one case, using a mobile phone while stationary at traffic lights, and in one case, pausing to relieve myself on a long walk home.

I suppose I could work on my paranoia, but it ranks behind telepathy and royal heritage in the list of attributes that I would like to develop. Though I am sure some people are saying it is more easily achieved than those other two, behind my back...

Anyway, I am quite happy to do my bit, if required. What would you have me do? Tremble in fear, alarm and dismay? Hide in my apartment? Refrain from drink and avoid dark streets?

SC

Anyway, I am quite happy to do my bit, if required. What would you have me do? Tremble

Yes that sound as a good start, if you can do that on a sunny spot, people would have the impression that you are cold, in open contrast with the oppressing heat we have to bear with sometime, don't forget the teeth's chatter :D

Anyway, I am quite happy to do my bit, if required. What would you have me do? Tremble

Yes that sound as a good start, if you can do that on a sunny spot, people would have the impression that you are cold, in open contrast with the oppressing heat we have to bear with sometime, don't forget the teeth's chatter :D

Well, its easier than refraining from strong drink...

And I don't feel oppressed, either...listless and languorous, yes, oppressed, no

SC