Buying Land In Buriram

Virretk

I thought 1 Ngan = 1/4 of a rai, whcih would make this land 360,000 Baht a rai - Seems expensive for vegetable farming land.

320000 Baht should be enough. I think it is too expensive. Just bought chanote land with two year old rubber for 100000 per rai. This is the price Thais would also pay, yours seem to be a falang price. Land for building a house, inside a village is also about 100000 per rai (mostly without chanote), but the locals not really like to sell this kind of land to a farang.

fatfather

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Land prices vary wildly. Buying land (which you can't own anyways) depends on what you want to do with it. If you are considering the purchase as an investment, then you can easily pay WAY too much. On the other hand, if you plan to build a home then the land is worth exactly what you are willing to pay for it.

When you pay a premium for a home site it must have a chanote because if not, later on your neighbor will give you grief over the boundaries. Chanote land will be surveyed and have marked boundaries.

You don't agree with the necessity of a chanote? A good friend of mine bought 82 rai years ago. Now he has decided to sell half of it. He had it surveyed and two proper chanotes made. His total of 82 rai has shrunk to 56 rai. If he had bought it as a parcel, it wouldn't have been so bad. He paid for it PER rai.

Hi all

Everytime this land topic comes up people get all upset or gloat that they have made a killing and the other guy who paid that must was robbed. The truth is unless you have used a reputable lawyer you don't know what you have. Every Thai will tell you their land is Charnote, to them any land with paper is Charnote. Next comes this total hatred of payimg taxes. You may in fact have a Charnote on the land, but the seller has not registered the sale and paid the land transfer taxes etc to the National Government, but used the local sub district govenor to do the transfer. That's the way it's done most of the time. Best advice get a Lawyer and have the land appraised or things can come back and bit you in the future. Jim

I thought 1 Ngan = 1/4 of a rai, whcih would make this land 360,000 Baht a rai - Seems expensive for vegetable farming land.

320000 Baht should be enough. I think it is too expensive. Just bought chanote land with two year old rubber for 100000 per rai. This is the price Thais would also pay, yours seem to be a falang price. Land for building a house, inside a village is also about 100000 per rai (mostly without chanote), but the locals not really like to sell this kind of land to a farang.

fatfather

Fatfather - perhaps you could PM sinbin for me, as he accused me of being arrogant for quoting that sort of figure.

I accept that there can be wide variations in price (there is no such thing as 'value') with the intended use, and desirability of location, being factors.

I paid about 80,000 Baht per rai and I thought I had paid 'Falang price' - perhaps 20%ish over the top. Transactions in the area, over the last 3 years, (including Thai to Thai) suggest that I paid a fair price.

fatfather

Fatfather - perhaps you could PM sinbin for me, as he accused me of being arrogant for quoting that sort of figure.

I accept that there can be wide variations in price (there is no such thing as 'value') with the intended use, and desirability of location, being factors.

I paid about 80,000 Baht per rai and I thought I had paid 'Falang price' - perhaps 20%ish over the top. Transactions in the area, over the last 3 years, (including Thai to Thai) suggest that I paid a fair price.

Let Sinbin be right. I know many who didn't take the time to look arround properly, or who have fallen in love with a property so that they paid what ever was asked for. The moment you really check the market prices and if you are able to stay in the background as a falang you will be able to get the Thai prices. The land I bought was on it's way to be sold to Thais, I (i.e. my wife) could only get this land because we put the money on the table straight away, no negotiations about paying modes (the Thai competitors wanted to pay in three steps). Half the money when making the deal with a contract and three days later in the land office, when my wife as the new owner had been registered on the backside of the chanote, we paid the rest..... now only waiting time for the surveying team apply.

When buying land step back as a falang, only bargain with your wife as she is the one who negotiates

fatfather

Yes indeed, there are farang land prices and Thai prices. Years back, my wife found a decent price on some farm land. They asked her 20,000 baht per rai for 20 rai. When I went to have a look and the seller saw a farang, he immediately raised the price to 28,000 per rai. Needless to say I said NO WAY! A few weeks later the owner came to my wife and reduced the price back to the original quote. I told my wife that we were not going to deal with someone who tried to screw me.

Yes the Red Garuda.

Why would you pay out big bucks for Chanote? nearly all of the villagers have Chanotes in my wifes village - even for their farm land.

I think perhaps someone has been misleading you, It sounds like you've either overpaid for some land or have been told its way more expensive than it really is. A million baht a rai you would be looking at $100,000 per acre, lol.

Quite obvious Benjie that you know absolute naff about what 'Chanote' means. You still never came back and said what is written on the top right hand side of your land papers. All well and good saying "Yes the Red Garunda" but that's in the middle and is a government stamp and doesn't answer the question. Quit the BS and just admit your all wind. "Nearly all of the villagers..........................farmland.", now that's a big statement to make as 'Chanote' land is as rare as rocking horse crap.
. A Chanote is the equivalent of a land title deed in a western country like the US, but very little of Thailand's land has a Chanote yet:

And Cardholder has 23 Rai. Yeah right.;)

Yes the Red Garuda.

Why would you pay out big bucks for Chanote? nearly all of the villagers have Chanotes in my wifes village - even for their farm land.

I think perhaps someone has been misleading you, It sounds like you've either overpaid for some land or have been told its way more expensive than it really is. A million baht a rai you would be looking at $100,000 per acre, lol.

Quite obvious Benjie that you know absolute naff about what 'Chanote' means. You still never came back and said what is written on the top right hand side of your land papers. All well and good saying "Yes the Red Garunda" but that's in the middle and is a government stamp and doesn't answer the question. Quit the BS and just admit your all wind. "Nearly all of the villagers..........................farmland.", now that's a big statement to make as 'Chanote' land is as rare as rocking horse crap.
. A Chanote is the equivalent of a land title deed in a western country like the US, but very little of Thailand's land has a Chanote yet:

And Cardholder has 23 Rai. Yeah right.;)

Sinbin have to agree with you on the rarity of Charnote land around here. No villages houses or farm land has it. The only Charnote land is along side the main road [2248 ] and that was only issued last year because the Government intends to make it a divided highway. Which brings another point up and I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if you sell your land within a certain time period you get hit with a capital gains tax, as the Charnot has increased the value. Jim

What's a matter Cardholder ? Aren't you capable of stringing together a PM to me ? Please quote where I wrote
accused me of being arrogant for quoting that sort of figure
. Don't bother you won't find it (you tell lies). Just like you won't find 'Chanote' on your 23 Rai of Sor Por Kor land papers. Well your wifes land. :D :D :D

There are a few on here that know what they're talking about and that is myself, GaryA and Jamescollister, but you and Benjie are out of your depths. Here's something for you to read up on. It may help, but I have my doubts.

http://www.readbangkokpost.com/easybusinessnews/real_estate/renewal_of_sor_por_gor_land_re.php

Sinbin have to agree with you on the rarity of Charnote land around here. No villages houses or farm land has it. The only Charnote land is along side the main road [2248 ] and that was only issued last year because the Government intends to make it a divided highway. Which brings another point up and I may be wrong, but my understanding is that if you sell your land within a certain time period you get hit with a capital gains tax, as the Charnot has increased the value. Jim

I would imagine that there would be some restrictions placed on the issuing the new 'Chanote' title because being as it's rare, the rich Thai/Chinese merchants would gladly snap it up at over the odds prices. It's as good a gold to have a 'Chanote' title. Any one that pays 100,000 a Rai for 'Chanote' land with 2-3 year old rubber trees on it is living a dream. Or doesn't understand what 'Chanote' means.

Edited by sinbin

Still a lot of confusion on this thread over what is or is not a chanote. Some areas have all the land surveyed for it, others have none; hence you will find chanotes common in some areas, non-existent in others.

My partner worked for a while in the amphur land office, so I reckon he knows what a chanote is.

My offer, of 30 rai at 400,000 a rai, was a genuine one... and you can put yourself second on the list for it after Cardholder.

Still a lot of confusion on this thread over what is or is not a chanote. Some areas have all the land surveyed for it, others have none; hence you will find chanotes common in some areas, non-existent in others.

My partner worked for a while in the amphur land office, so I reckon he knows what a chanote is.

My offer, of 30 rai at 400,000 a rai, was a genuine one... and you can put yourself second on the list for it after Cardholder.

IB just because the land is surveyed doesn't mean you get a Charnote title. When the boys were doing the survey for the Charnotes on the main road I pulled in a few favors from some very high up Government and paid to have some rubber land surveyed. The paper work to apply for the Charnote etc was sent with all the others and even with some heavy pull was told maybe 10 years before it is granted.

As for the price of Charnote land. go to the tax/ land office they will tell you what the tax value is. When you transfer Charnote land you have to pay tax on at least what the Government values it at. No different than the west. Jim

Well I have never worked in the amphur land office, but even I can tell the difference, its been my experience that too many Thais equate having a piece of paper to mean they have a chanot, not the case.

Other more devious Thais have presented photocopies of the land deed so I couldnt tell the colour of the garuda on initial inspection, but as pointed out by sinbin,

"what is written on the top right hand side of your land papers" will tell you all you need to know.

Asking to see the markers can at times lead to a shaking of the head followed by farang roo dee or roo mot comments.

What's a matter Cardholder ? Aren't you capable of stringing together a PM to me ? Please quote where I wrote
accused me of being arrogant for quoting that sort of figure
. Don't bother you won't find it (you tell lies). Just like you won't find 'Chanote' on your 23 Rai of Sor Por Kor land papers. Well your wifes land. :D :D :D

There are a few on here that know what they're talking about and that is myself, GaryA and Jamescollister, but you and Benjie are out of your depths. Here's something for you to read up on. It may help, but I have my doubts.

http://www.readbangk...gor_land_re.php

Thank you teacher.

The fact that my missus appears to have Sor Por Kor land may come as a shock to the Land Office who were happy to register the sale to her. Being such an academic on the subject, you are well aware that:-

Sor Por Gor 4-01 (S.P.G.. 4-01), is an allotment of land from the Land Reformative Committee, and under no circumstance may this land be bought or sold. It confers the right to occupy only and be transferred only by inheritance. It seems that the land may be used for agriculture only.

Rather than linking to flimsy Bangkok Post articles I would suggest anyone who seeks clarification on land titles looks here:-

http://www.isaanlawonline.com/thailand-land-ownership-title-deed-law.html

As James Collister pointed out - using the services of a reputable lawyer will enable you to confirm exactly what you are buying and will avoid some of the misinformation spouted on here. Such lawyers are also a useful source of comparibles for land sale prices.

Just like you won't find 'Chanote' on your 23 Rai of Sor Por Kor land papers. Well your wifes land. :D :D :D

Bugger Me !

At last Ajarn sinbin has spoken a true fact.

Fortunately, the wife's Sor Por Kor papers actually have Nor Sor 4 Jor on the top right of the chanote - a fact that sinbin would have been aware of had he had the wit to look at the scanned copy of the chanote !

Hi all again

Cardholder brings up an interesting point on theses land titles. As I said many moons ago, just when I think I am getting to grips with all the types of titles along comes another twist. Cardholder when you say the land office transferred the title, which land dept, Amphor Province or National. Here is what happened to us. We [wife ] purchased a 50 Rai block of farm land. Now this land was on 2 titles, not Charnote, but the type you are allowed to sell. One title didn't have the Gor on the end I think. The transfer was done by the Amphor. At this time I was fairly new to the Thai system and just did as I was told was the normal way .

After a time we decided to go and make the 2 titles one and get the Gor on it all. Well guess what, the Amphor can't do this as the title is from the Province. We then drive to town to see the Provencal land office, no problem, just bring in the registered owner and he can sign the transfer. PROBLEM we bought the land from the son of the registered owner, who has been dead for 10 years. The land guys says you [ wife ] own the land as you have the Amphor papers, you just can't change or up grade the title at this level. Keep in mind that like most Farangs my Thai is limited and though the wife has excellent English she tends to tell me what she thinks I want to hear.

Add another type of title to the list. We have a 15 Rai block of land bought from a Government agency cheap. This land has the little survey pegs and all. The land was sold on the proviso that if in 10 years, there was an operating rubber plantation on it a Chornote would be issued, if not the land would be forfeit.. how many titles are there really out there. Jim

I would imagine that there would be some restrictions placed on the issuing the new 'Chanote' title because being as it's rare, the rich Thai/Chinese merchants would gladly snap it up at over the odds prices. It's as good a gold to have a 'Chanote' title. Any one that pays 100,000 a Rai for 'Chanote' land with 2-3 year old rubber trees on it is living a dream. Or doesn't understand what 'Chanote' means.

Who tell you that you are right? Shouting loud and rattlig chains nothing else then a retoric thing bosses and manager use to get what they want. Chanote isn't rare, maybe it is not wide spread because the land owners do not take the hassle to change paper works, it can take up to five years or more to get it done, but many owner did it, took the hassle, because they knew that it will pay out. Some never cared because selling land was never mentioned. It is the younger generation who sell the land, some of them, if they do not have good paper work at all just plant rubber on it to rise the price....

Reading your posts I cannot get rid of the feeling that you have overpaid your wifes land and therefore blame others to be stupid i.e. not knowing what a chanote is, or beeing a liar.

1,000,000Baht/rai in Isaan country side .....:cheesy:

fatfather

Who tell you that you are right? Shouting loud and rattlig chains nothing else then a retoric thing bosses and manager use to get what they want. Chanote isn't rare, maybe it is not wide spread because the land owners do not take the hassle to change paper works, it can take up to five years or more to get it done, but many owner did it, took the hassle, because they knew that it will pay out. Some never cared because selling land was never mentioned. It is the younger generation who sell the land, some of them, if they do not have good paper work at all just plant rubber on it to rise the price....

Reading your posts I cannot get rid of the feeling that you have overpaid your wifes land and therefore blame others to be stupid i.e. not knowing what a chanote is, or beeing a liar.

fatfather

Bit of a rant there Fatfather,hard night, Believe me otr not there is no Charnote land around here and as to upgrading land most is Crown and the King owns it, can't be upgraded. If you are refering to me paying too much, well the most I ever paid is 25,000 Baht a Rai and I do have some land assested by the Tax department at 1,000.000 Baht a rai. I being stupid formed a Limited Partnership Rubber company and with the help of an accountant and the SME Department got the land zoned under National Government as industrial. With that I was granted The Rubber Processing License for the area. I don't care if you think I am full of it, but I live here on the money I make here and anyone can come visit as long as they bring beer and see if I am telling the truth, Jim

fatfather

Bit of a rant there Fatfather,hard night, Believe me otr not there is no Charnote land around here and as to upgrading land most is Crown and the King owns it, can't be upgraded. If you are refering to me paying too much, well the most I ever paid is 25,000 Baht a Rai and I do have some land assested by the Tax department at 1,000.000 Baht a rai. I being stupid formed a Limited Partnership Rubber company and with the help of an accountant and the SME Department got the land zoned under National Government as industrial. With that I was granted The Rubber Processing License for the area. I don't care if you think I am full of it, but I live here on the money I make here and anyone can come visit as long as they bring beer and see if I am telling the truth, Jim

I think fatfather was referring to a different poster......

fatfather

Good to see that you are nice and relaxed today mate ;)

Ok, we might all live in different areas of Buri Rum and therefore the concentration of chanote land and Sor Por Kor land might be different. Many of the Sor Por Kor land cannot be sold, only transferred inbetween the family, as mentioned before. Land which lies in an natural park, or close to the Cambodian border, before jungle, or close to any public/military interests or land of the krown also will not get chanote papers, but the rest can get it and many older farmers did it. Those who transferred/claimed chanote papers in the past did it because with chanote papers you can get money out of the Banks (here I don't go into details..) and many chanote land is nowadays inherit to a generation which is not able to pay back the debts without selling a part of the land, because father or grandfather never paid really interests. There is a generation change and the youngsters do have to pay back the depts, that's banks business.

I still say that 1,000,000 Baht/rai is far too much for country side land. The land I spoke of before is situated at a sealed side road, with water supply and electricity but no land line, with chanote (I know what chanote is, so spare any comments on this) and I paid 100,000 Bhat/rai.

In some years I will also rely on my wife's land, so I invest carefully and without panic. Keep your ears open and don't pay too much....

@ jamescollister, I didn't meant you, sinbin made me moody by calling me a liar. Maybe I'll come back to the point where you spoke about a beer ;)

fatfather

Fatfather maybe I jumped in a bit fast having just spent 3 hours with the wife 2 kids worshiping in Tescos and then an hour in the dentists chair having a new tooth pounded into my jaw. I may have reacted a bit rapidly. Anytime for the beer is good for me. Jim

Yes the Red Garuda.

Thai Visa seems to be full of chumps nowadays.

I know exactly what Chanote land is, Full Title Deed with numbered Concrete markers on the boundary (That correlate with the document itself) measured by GPS.

The Red Garuda is not a stamp it's part of the document.

When my wife bought the Village land with Water and Electric we went to the local land office to transfer the title where I had to sign a document claiming that the land was purchased solely by the wife. We paid the previous owner 60,000 Baht a Rai.

Yes the Red Garuda.

Thai Visa seems to be full of chumps nowadays.

I know exactly what Chanote land is, Full Title Deed with numbered Concrete markers on the boundary (That correlate with the document itself) measured by GPS.

The Red Garuda is not a stamp it's part of the document.

When my wife bought the Village land with Water and Electric we went to the local land office to transfer the title where I had to sign a document claiming that the land was purchased solely by the wife. We paid the previous owner 60,000 Baht a Rai.

Sounds a fair price.

I don't know where Sinbin is getting his numbers..... I purchased 1 Rai in a development catering to Westerners, included water, electric and concrete roads for 1 million baht in Sansai Chiangmai. My property in Huay Rat Buriram is on a main road, Chanote deed and because it is on the main road it was only 150,000 per rai.

Somebody got ripped off.....

Think this subject has been done to death now, and as my departing comment I will say this. Land is worth what it is worth. its real value is what it can return in money. A 100 Rai of swamp with or without Charnote is still a 100 Rai of swamp and will not make a return, it worth nothing in real terms. Those who think that the Charnote gives you the right to buuld things on it, this is not a given you still need planing permission. Your nice Charnote bit of rice paddy may always be just that a piece of rice paddy, Jim

Think this subject has been done to death now, and as my departing comment I will say this. Land is worth what it is worth. its real value is what it can return in money. A 100 Rai of swamp with or without Charnote is still a 100 Rai of swamp and will not make a return, it worth nothing in real terms. Those who think that the Charnote gives you the right to buuld things on it, this is not a given you still need planing permission. Your nice Charnote bit of rice paddy may always be just that a piece of rice paddy, Jim

Indeed, Jim. The land is worth/valued at whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. Every situation will differ from the next, regardless of the debate.

Indeed, Jim. The land is worth/valued at whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. Every situation will differ from the next, regardless of the debate.

The price/value will, of course, vary as you suggest Jeff. However, it has been irrefutably established that having a chanote (Nor Sor 4) will enhance that value - certainly when comparing swamp land to swamp land, farmland with farm land and a village building plot to building plot.

• 3 months later...

While me and the wife was visiting her cousin house in a small Buriram village (about 25km outside Buriram town), we were informed that 7 rai is available for 700,000 baht. Its farmland at the moment, has a good new road running at the front, with water and electric. My wife's Cousin house was built about year ago (falang husband) and there is currently one other falang house being built. Its a very quiet village with farmland as far as you can see outback.

Is 100,000 baht per rai seem about right price? the wifes cousin has been constantly scouting the nearby area for land over the last couple of years and believes this is the Thai price. The peaceful surroundings and the fact that she has some family nearby draws us to this plot.