Looong Power Outage In Kata Tonight.

ScubaBuddha

At about 8pm it looked as though about half the grid around my house was out of power. Cable was out too and Kata Cable is nearly in Karon so I assume this is not very local. Now, at 11:15 the rest of the grid just went off. (I'm on batteries).

I don't bother ever calling the power company any more as the line is always busy when I do. Anyone experiencing the same or know whats up?

Yeh, I heard the bang and saw a big flash about 20.00, so it must be local to Kata. Our power stayed on, but Cable TV off. And the TV is still off this morning so I guess the power is still off to the line amplifiers from Chalong to Karon.

Yeh, I heard the bang and saw a big flash about 20.00, so it must be local to Kata. Our power stayed on, but Cable TV off. And the TV is still off this morning so I guess the power is still off to the line amplifiers from Chalong to Karon.

Had it happen to me in Rawai last year, heard a huge bang and the transformer down the street was smoldering, power was out for half a day.

Any electricians out there? Does a lot of rain effect these transformers? They seem pretty exposed.

Power all night in Koktanod.

Pal of mine said last night he had power in Patong after hanging at Suzie Wong's cool.gif

Any electricians out there? Does a lot of rain effect these transformers? They seem pretty exposed.

It's not the actual transformer. It's usually the HV ceramic fuse popping out with a huge bang. The service trucks comes along and checks the overhead lines for branches causing a short across 2 or 3 of the high power lines. Then they pop the fuse back in. On our road the fuse blew once a month, sometimes there was a snake roasted on the fuse, but the real fault was a bad connection on the feed from overhead fuse holder, which eventually came apart after a year of installation. The rain does not help as it helps make shorts to ground at in all exposed and faulty joints.

Pal of mine said last night he had power in Patong after hanging at Suzie Wong's cool.gif

yeah, sometimes power is out early morning :lol: :lol:

aircon still running tho

It's not the actual transformer. It's usually the HV ceramic fuse popping out with a huge bang. The service trucks comes along and checks the overhead lines for branches causing a short across 2 or 3 of the high power lines. Then they pop the fuse back in. On our road the fuse blew once a month, sometimes there was a snake roasted on the fuse, but the real fault was a bad connection on the feed from overhead fuse holder, which eventually came apart after a year of installation. The rain does not help as it helps make shorts to ground at in all exposed and faulty joints.

Understood, and what brought the thought to mind was that when it happened in my hood, it had been raining for days.

Understood, and what brought the thought to mind was that when it happened in my hood, it had been raining for days.

You are correct as over a long period of rain the wires and connections get saturated, resistance breaks down, strains or loads the system, then the fuse pops. But this is often the case in a heavy downpour after a very long dry period. In our house when there is a cloud burst of rain we just wait for the electric to go off and we joke about it.

One day last month the tops of two power poles on the Chalong-Kata road were on fire . Something liquid was burning and dripping to the ground which had vegetation just dry enough to burn. Firefighters arrived by motorbike and pick-up and started to try to put it out using tree branches, a tactic quickly abandoned when the tree branches then needed to be put out! I've got great video of it somewhere. Almost a quarter rai of ground cover and a couple trees burned under one pole before the water truck finally arrived at least 30 minutes after it started.

I had power but not cable TV. Here I was blaming the cleaning lady. I am near Scubabuddha.

But where am I? :)

Is the cleaning lady good? Mine quit because I was too messy.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

The fire station is just on Koktanode Road!! Yikes!

Scubba Buddha. I like my cleaning lady a lot and now her sister comes with her and is looking for part time work too. Lives not far from me. I will give you her info if you want..

She lives next door to my friend who recommended her.

I am messy too. But the cats are worse. The other morning when she came over I screamed when I saw the rat head on my mat inside the house from kitty-Corleonies. She just shook her head and dealt with it, rinsed of the mat etc.

My cable was not very clear today.

I must say though I ALWAYS unplug my computer at night and turn off the power strip for the TV and DVD. Already had a charger fried once when someone crashed into a power pole... and friends have had worse damage from car accidents.

Edited by MisterMan

SB - I am sorry to hear your cleaning lady quit. But don't your worry, you are a good looking man. You will find a new girlfriend soon! rolleyes.gif

SB - I am sorry to hear your cleaning lady quit. But don't your worry, you are a good looking man. You will find a new girlfriend soon! rolleyes.gif

No no, that cleaning lady is still here. :)

No no, that cleaning lady is still here. :)

Why do you need a cleaning lady if you have a wife, or a girlfriend?