Proliferation Of Incredibly Noisy Motorbikes In Phuket

snoother

quote KBB

Louder pipes make other motorists able to separate my bike coming at 90kmh, from a Mio on its way to the market at 40kmh.

Meaning what exactly?...Your argument is that it is for safety is it not? How does this statement relate to any safety issue?...bizzare indeed...:unsure: Sounds more like a ''look at me " issue....

You said 'loud and safe" in earlier post but you cannot explain why loud= safe.....Why?... because as Chainsaw said..what a load of BS! :jerk:

as a TV poster, I already knew you had some "bizzare" "issues":lol: :lol:

as a mod I will ask you to quote according to Forum rules and drop the attention seeking "look at me" bold and underscore

and if I was seeking attention, I would need to look and dress like my GF, as she gets all the attention riding the same bike as me, her bike superquiet, my hooligan loud

no rain, showered and wearing deodorant, going for a ride :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KBB

Louder pipes make other motorists able to separate my bike coming at 90kmh, from a Mio on its way to the market at 40kmh.

Modifying other people's posts with bold/font/underscore is not encouraged as per Forum Netiquette

1. Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

The loud pipes arguement that it is so that other road users can see you coming sounds no different to me than those well mannered car drivers that flash their lights and occasionally use their horns to let you know they are coming and will pass you any way they can.

I went to renew my drivers licence today in Phuket Town. Part of the renewal process is having to sit through a 40 minute DVD showing various aspects of safe and sensible driving in Thailand.

Guess what? It clearly stated that any vehicle louder than 85 decibels is illegal in Thailand!

Sorry to burst your big pipe bubble boys. You are NOT legal!

Doubtful that any of the BIB are aware of this fact yet, but if they were, it's possible that they would see it as yet another potential earner from the farangs! ....Just saying.

I fully appreciate any mans love of 2 wheels and getting out on the open road on a big bike being good for the soul, been there done that. But continually cruising round the holiday hotspots is not the open road, it's just posing.

The open roads start North of the airport and continue off the island, take those roads and I doubt whether folks would complain!

quote KBB

Meaning what exactly?...Your argument is that it is for safety is it not? How does this statement relate to any safety issue?...bizzare indeed...:unsure: Sounds more like a ''look at me " issue....

You said 'loud and safe" in earlier post but you cannot explain why loud= safe.....Why?... because as Chainsaw said..what a load of BS! :jerk:

as a mod I will ask you to quote according to Forum rules and drop the attention seeking "look at me" bold and underscore

and if I was seeking attention, I would need to look and dress like my GF, as she gets all the attention riding the same bike as me, her bike superquiet, my hooligan loud

Very sorry for breaking the rules...:whistling:

Very indicative of you to see you have to pull rank on me to hide from the very question that this thread is all about...:ph34r: and then post "hooligan loud.' 'This again makes a mockery of your volunteer highway police badge huh!.

In a thread regarding noisy motorcycles, you stated that loud equals safe...but when asked to show how loud equals safe you dodge the issue..."again''.... bizzare indeed :lol:

I think I will take the back box off the truck and reverse it to a bikers bar entrance and rev the guts out of it.

After all they seem to like the racket and smell.

A little dramatic don't you think?

I understand the noise complaints from the old rum hounds who goes to bed drunk at 6.30pm but how many do you really hear on any given day? And for how long as it passes by?

I'm on the road everyday and cover at least 500kms a week around the island and i rarely see or hear a loud Harley and if i do, i check it out as a nice machine and bare the noise for the 5 seconds it takes to pass me by.

Most of you forget that we enjoy these grey area rules here that were once allowed back home but now are heavily enforced by the nanny states that Australia, England etc has become.

There are more pressing issues on this island than noise pollution.

Doubtful that any of the BIB are aware of this fact yet, but if they were, it's possible that they would see it as yet another potential earner from the farangs! ....Just saying.

Actually they are aware and do occasionally enforce this.

I think I will take the back box off the truck and reverse it to a bikers bar entrance and rev the guts out of it.

I understand the noise complaints from the old rum hounds who goes to bed drunk at 6.30pm

Oh no! Only another hour until beddyby time, better get another drink !

Motorcycle riders with loud aftermarket exhaust systems often claim that "loud pipes save lives" - that they are more likely to notice the attention of distracted motorists when they are on the road. There is no study on record that demonstrates a correlation between the noise level of a motorcycle exhaust system and its ability to reduce accidents. Motorcycles are also equipped with horns, just like passenger vehicles.

Loud motorcycle exhaust systems produces low frequency sound that is non-directional and coming from the rear of the motorcycle where the exhaust is located. Since most two-vehicle accidents come from the front of the vehicle, the use of a loud exhaust system does nothing to alert other motorists of an oncoming motorcycle.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) analyzes and reports on motorcycle accident data statistics and acts as a clearinghouse on motorcycle safety.

In their 2007 published report, 'Fatal Two-Vehicle Motorcycle Crashes' (DOT HS 810 834), motorcyclists were found to be overwhelmingly responsible for causing accidents with passenger vehicles. In nearly three-fourths of the two-vehicle motorcycle crashes involving passenger vehicles, the role of the motorcycle was recorded as the striking vehicle. Additionally, factors including alcohol impairment, invalid license, and speeding were more attributed to motorcycle riders.

Motorcycle riders with loud aftermarket exhaust systems often claim that "loud pipes save lives"

Don't know about 'often'. AFAIK only 2 motorbike riders are claiming that, here in this thread. So they gave me a good laugh.

Motorcycle riders with loud aftermarket exhaust systems often claim that "loud pipes save lives"

Don't know about 'often'. AFAIK only 2 motorbike riders are claiming that, here in this thread. So they gave me a good laugh.

Most riders dont want to post in a thread like this, but prefere ThaiVisa Bikes Forum, as the posters there have more knowledge about bikes and traffic in general

Glad we gave you a good laugh tho :)

Motorcycle riders with loud aftermarket exhaust systems often claim that "loud pipes save lives" - that they are more likely to notice the attention of distracted motorists when they are on the road. There is no study on record that demonstrates a correlation between the noise level of a motorcycle exhaust system and its ability to reduce accidents. Motorcycles are also equipped with horns, just like passenger vehicles.

Loud motorcycle exhaust systems produces low frequency sound that is non-directional and coming from the rear of the motorcycle where the exhaust is located. Since most two-vehicle accidents come from the front of the vehicle, the use of a loud exhaust system does nothing to alert other motorists of an oncoming motorcycle.

First off, I am not a fan of overly loud pipes either. However the statement above is a direct contradiction. Non-directional in terms of low frequency means that the sound-waves dissipate 360° from the source. Where the pipe is directed to does not make a big difference. Speed of sound is about 330m/s and with that quite a bit faster than the fastest road bike at the time of writing. In short, the noise will and does alert sound sensible individuals in the direction a bike is driving.

First off, I am not a fan of overly loud pipes either. However the statement above is a direct contradiction. Non-directional in terms of low frequency means that the sound-waves dissipate 360° from the source. Where the pipe is directed to does not make a big difference. Speed of sound is about 330m/s and with that quite a bit faster than the fastest road bike at the time of writing. In short, the noise will and does alert sound sensible individuals in the direction a bike is driving.

and there is nothing low frequent about a bike engines exhaust sound at 7-11k rpm, the performance revs of Thailand most sold big bikes, Kawasaki 250 and 650

I d say it covers the 500-5.000 Hz area pretty evenly, and more towards the higher frequencys at higher revs.

Only at idle unloaded and to 2500 rpm loaded is it low frequent.

a low reving v-twin however, is more low frequent all through the revs

Most riders dont want to post in a thread like this, but prefere ThaiVisa Bikes Forum, as the posters there have more knowledge about bikes and traffic in general

More likeminded, probably, but more knowledge about traffic in general because they ride a big bike? Again, thanks for the laugh.

More likeminded, probably, but more knowledge about traffic in general because they ride a big bike? Again, thanks for the laugh.

No doubt Motoring Forum and Bike Forum posters display more knowledge about traffic and vehicles in general than most posters in the local Forums

glad i keep you laughing :D

quote KBB

Very sorry for breaking the rules...:whistling:

Very indicative of you to see you have to pull rank on me to hide from the very question that this thread is all about...:ph34r: and then post "hooligan loud.' 'This again makes a mockery of your volunteer highway police badge huh!.

In a thread regarding noisy motorcycles, you stated that loud equals safe...but when asked to show how loud equals safe you dodge the issue..."again''.... bizzare indeed :lol:

"Hooligan loud" was a joke, sorry if it was over your head :rolleyes: .

In your continiously focus on me you have several times pointed out I am a Big Bike Highway Police Volunteer, how much you disrespect HWPV, once you even stated falsely I as HWPV was chasing runners from a fine issuing checkpoint. As a Highway Police Volunteer I assist or lead on accident scenes and marshall according to instructions, and on occasions guide motorists how to behave. I do not assist in fine issuing checks. Do not want to.

I have had the modifications done to my HWP-marked Ninja650R inspected by Department of Land Transportation (DLT) and approval stated in bikes reg book page 18 as it is supposed to be.

My mistake to try to discuss road safety in a local Forum, I will leave it to the ThaiVisa Motoring and Bikes Forums.:)

No doubt Motoring Forum and Bike Forum posters display more knowledge about traffic and vehicles in general than most posters in the local Forums

Yes, run to your friends when you can't come up with any arguments for your ludicrous claims here.

Yes, run to your friends when you can't come up with any arguments for your ludicrous claims here.

5555, Thanks for making me laugh :lol: :lol:

There is no proof anywhere that a noisy bike is safer. That's just the excuse these louts use to try to justify their behavour.

KBB stated that his bike has been checked and is legal - no it's not and it wouldn't be legal in Europe or the USA.

Why aren't they legal if it makes for safer biking? Helloo???

These wannabe butch bikers (they certainly aren't real bikers) enjoy disrupting the lives of others in order to feed their fragile egos. The mod exhaust systems are simply for cosmetic purposes.

Did you know that when they convert to straight pipes they get rid of the catalytic converters?

Yes folks, they are knowingly pumping out much more pollution than a non-modified bike.

The bottom line is that these selfish posers just don't care, as KBB stated in an earlier post.

I reckon they've been watching too many re-runs of 'The Wild One'. :jerk:

Knights of the road? - Yeah Right!!

IF anyone is DEAD serious about motorcycle safety, please read this book

Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling

Phillip Coyne (Author), Bill Mayblin (Author), Penny Mares (Editor)

Thanks uncle Bob.

A safety principle for anyone using the road is to assume other road users have not seen you.

What has road safety got to do with noise? You think because you have a loud exhaust it allows you to take risks that you would not normally take because you have assumed the other road users are alerted to your presence by an extra noisy exhaust? How can you be sure all the time?

What then if everybody had a loud exhaust to alert each other to their presence? What a joke I am sure you can imagine.

It makes sense to me that most modified exhausts are done by people who have a low self image and are eager to impress their peers. Like the others op's say - attention seekers.

The real joke is not the loud exhausts but the authorities who are incapable of enforcing any kind of serious road safety laws.

My pipes are a bit loud,, i don't rev it i just ride it, this is my 3th Harley in Thailand over the last 10 years, nobody have ever told me my bike is to loud, why???

its look like its only the people in here who complain about loud pipes,,,,i wonder why :)

My pipes are a bit loud,, i don't rev it i just ride it, this is my 3th Harley in Thailand over the last 10 years, nobody have ever told me my bike is to loud, why???

its look like its only the people in here who complain about loud pipes,,,,i wonder why :)

Where else can they complain? If someone complained directly to you about your excessively noisy bike, what would you do? Refit the manufacturers pipes? - I don't think so!

Wait a minute....maybe you have a point there HDRIDER, maybe it would be a better idea to take down the registration numbers of these offensive bikes and report them to the police? As you know, the BIB will only take action if there is a definite complaint. Thanks for your input.

Where else can they complain? If someone complained directly to you about your excessively noisy bike, what would you do? Refit the manufacturers pipes? - I don't think so!

Wait a minute....maybe you have a point there HDRIDER, maybe it would be a better idea to take down the registration numbers of these offensive bikes and report them to the police? As you know, the BIB will only take action if there is a definite complaint. Thanks for your input.

Good i could help, PM me if you want my reg number, my bike was with land and transport a few months ago, they told me it was a bit loud,,,and then they told me everything was OK, as you know BIB like Harley's they stop me quite a few times and they only want to talk about the bike, never a word about my loud pipes, maybe they are not so loud that i think,,, maybe i should do something about that :)

I forgot this,,, lookinforwarded to see some TV members running around with a notepad and write reg numbers down,,, i did it when i was a kid, it was fun, well i am growing to old for that now but good luck with it, when i hear or see something making a noise these days i use to forget about it a few minutes after they pass me... :)

Edited by HDRIDER

Good i could help, PM me if you want my reg number, my bike was with land and transport a few months ago, they told me it was a bit loud,,,and then they told me everything was OK, as you know BIB like Harley's they stop me quite a few times and they only want to talk about the bike, never a word about my loud pipes, maybe they are not so loud that i think,,, maybe i should do something about that :)

I forgot this,,, lookinforwarded to see some TV members running around with a notepad and write reg numbers down,,, i did it when i was a kid, it was fun, well i am growing to old for that now but good luck with it, when i hear or see something making a noise these days i use to forget about it a few minutes after they pass me... :)

I am happy to help too.

My loud Ninja is plate number Phuket xxx, but the problem will be when Bib look it up in computer(or have a look at copy reg book at bike) they will see mods approved by DLT on 29 ก ย 53, a photo with 2 bros exhaust is filed, as recorded in reg book page 18.

If you need more plate numbers from loud bikes, just drop by the Governors office to take his number or any police station to take the officers numbers. Or any bike event. +90% has modified exhaust. Like it or not

post-81971-0-52594300-1307783686_thumb.j

and actually they focus more on drunk honda wave riders and riders without valid drivers lisence, to improve the safety for all of us.

I don't like the noisy bikes. The argument that a noisy bike will be heard might be valid if people in the big trucks or buses heard them. i don't think so. Most of the larger vehicles that present a threat to bikers have their own noisy engines or have the windows closed with the radio and AC on.

I do recognize that the exhausts on most of the big bikes are often legal and the owners/drivers are not doing anything wrong.

Perhaps its time for Thailand to consider some of the noise standards set in other jurisdictions such as the EU and North America that respond to the loudness factor. Sometimes, just a reduction of 5-10 decibels makes a big difference. Until then, I have to respect the rights of those with the noisemakers.