Shipping Personal Effects

Hi, we just received our container at Bangkok and used Rama from Oakland CA to ship everything here. We put everything under my gf name as she has been in US for many years. Now we contacted Rama here in bkk to get it all out and they wanted 5400 bath for documentations, and then 38000 bath to transport it to our house in BKK, which is not far from Bkk container. Can anyone tell me if that is a good price or we should look for someone else and if so any suggestions, I'm in bit of a hurry so I might have missed to give you guys some info but pls ask if so

Thanks

At this stage of the proceedings it's going to be very difficult to escape the financial rape that you will now encounter, good luck and yes, I have been there but there's no escape at this stage.

Just regular house hold goods, sofa, computer, TV, clothing, all things from kitchen, some other tables and chairs, a bike, a bed and things like that. As for VISA my GF have been in the US for the last 5+ years and was studding and last 2 years also working. Should I look for a clearing agent and some freight forwarder or just eat the 40,000 ??

Thanks

have it delivered before the price goes up,my wife lived in uk 21years,and we only shipped 3cubic mts.cost with deliv.19kbht.mind that was 240kilometers.i think you will get the same hassle from bkk agents.

Does the 38k inlcude unloading the container? Are they going to leave for a while for you do to?

38k does not sound that bad for loading the container on the truck, hauling it to your house, pay people to unload it, and haul it back and unload empty container at the yard.

Curious that your shipping was not a door to door contract. Did you save money doing it this way, including the 38k baht?

TH

Just regular house hold goods, sofa, computer, TV, clothing, all things from kitchen, some other tables and chairs, a bike, a bed and things like that. As for VISA my GF have been in the US for the last 5+ years and was studding and last 2 years also working. Should I look for a clearing agent and some freight forwarder or just eat the 40,000 ??

Thanks

This doesn't answer the question about visa status and addresse. Unless all the addresses have long-term (12-month) permission to remain in the kingdom, then you're going to have to pay duty. If the shipment is addressed to your girlfriend and she's a Thai citizen then there should be no duty for household goods. Ditto for foreigners here on a 12-month visa with a work permit.

But, if you're in a big hurry for your stuff, just go ahead and pay it. I know someone who recently tried to fight all this and ended up paying 35,000 baht in storage charges. Somehow the customs dept always wants something along the line of 35,000 baht for a shipment that obviously is intended for a family setting up housekeeping here in Thailand.

Edited by NancyL

This has nothing to do with visas/foreigners - the shipment is a returning Thai national from post one (his GF). But if the contents are checked and his things are found expect there will be questions for her so a quick clearance without storage or exam may be in there best interests.

Thanks everyone, my friends were able to get the price down. They had charged us for taking care of a 40' container, but the 40' was forced on me as they were out of 20' so we were able to get a better deal, not much but they didn't think we should keep it there much longer as someone might get some even greater ideas at customs, and yeah didn't want to pay any storage fees.

To answer some questions, Rama used to offer door to door, my friends had used them before with good result so I didn't see any reason to change, but they didn't offer the door to door anymore and I should have checked around to see other options. So no I didn't do it to get it cheaper, it was just what they had and I couldn't wait any longer to get the stuff out of US as there is many things in there I needed ASAP

38000 Baht for the transport to a BKK house sounds fairly expensive.

We had a liftvan (6 cubic meters) shipped about 400 km upcountry for a lower price (part of a door to door package).

The handler in BKK was Seabra Movers:

http://www.sealitegroup.com/page-en/ourBusinesses4.htm

Robin Hyde.

Maybe you contact him for an offer?