Israel to complain to the UN about clashes in Israeli-occupied Golan Heights

News_Editor

Israel to complain to the UN about clashes in Israeli-occupied Golan Heights

2011-06-06 19:29:51 GMT+7 (ICT)

JERUSALEM (BNO NEWS) -- Israel on Monday said it will complain to the United Nations after nearly two dozen people were killed during clashes in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights on Sunday.

The fighting on Sunday was described as the most serious incident in the area since Israel and Syria, assisted by Egypt, fought a major war for control of the strategic Golan Plateau in 1973. Israel had reinforced its border with Syria in advance of Sunday's planned protests.

As of Monday, the Syrian Arab News Agency (Sana) claimed at least 22 people were killed and more than 350 were injured in Sunday's protests. Israel confirmed 'approximately' ten fatalities, but gave no other details about the number of casualties.

"The Syrian regime is exploiting [yesterday's] riots in order to divert the world's attention from its bloodshed at home," a spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) said, referring to ongoing anti-government protests in Syria, which have been met with a violent crackdown by Syrian security forces.

"Around ten of yesterday's casualties were caused by the rioters who hurled firebombs at IDF troops, leading to the explosion of land mines," an IDF spokesperson said. "The Syrian border was quiet for decades but only now with internal unrest in Syria is there an attempt to draw attention to the border."

Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Yigal Palmor said on Monday that Israel would complain to the United Nations about what he said was Syria's "manipulation" of its own citizens to generate violent incidents along the Israel-Syria border.

Earlier, United Nations spokesman Martin Nesirky said Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was following news about the clashes with "deep concern." "The United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) is seeking to confirm facts and help calm a continuing volatile situation in the area," Nesirky said.

Ban said he regrets the loss of life as a result of the clashes, and extended his condolences to the families of the victims. "[ban] condemns the use of violence and all actions intended to provoke violence," Nesirky said, adding that Sunday's events jeopardize the long-held cease-fire which was agreed to in the aftermath of the 1973 war.

"The Secretary-General calls for maximum restraint on all sides and strict observance of international humanitarian law to ensure protection of civilians. He reminds the Syrian authorities of their obligation to protect UNDOF personnel and facilities," Nesirky added.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague also expressed his concern about the incident. "We recognize Israel's right to defend herself. It is vital that any response is proportionate, avoiding lethal use of force unless absolutely necessary, and that the right to protest is respected," he said. "I continue to call on all parties, including the Governments of Israel and Syria, to do everything they can to protect the lives of civilians and to avoid provocative acts."

On Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that there are "radical elements who are trying to breach [israel's] borders to mark the anniversary of the start of the Six Day War. We won't allow them to do it." Netanyahu added that the security forces will act "firmly but with restraint."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-06-06

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was 22 Syrians murdered by the IDF, and Israel will complain to the UN??

How were they murdered? Did the IDF tell these people to run through the Syrian minefield? (Yes, it was a Syrian minefield since it was on the Syrian side of the border, and it is no secret that Syria has mined the border. One of the reasons why the Syrian border villages are deserted is because the locals kept stepping on Syrian mines.)

The Israelis were on their side of the border when a violent mob attacked. It is unreasonable to expect that the IDF should have abandoned their posts. They did their job which was to protect the border. The IDF did not cross the border and kill these people. Rather, the mob was on the attack. The only cuplable people are the Syrians and political leaders that sent these idiots to their certain death.

Your statement is unfounded, but it does meet the definition of a troll post. Congratulations on the achievement.

Edited by geriatrickid

I've stolen your land, I've shot you and now I'm off to complain.

You mean, you have attacked me and lost the fight and in the process lost some of your belongings.

You then decided to try it again, and again attacked me and lost again.

You then try to come again, despite me warning you, and yet you ignore and try to play the sweet innocent victim.

So now i am going to complain, so next time you try to come again and get your head kicked, you do not run screaming you did nothing wrong.

Is that the scenario you are describing?

You mean, you have attacked me and lost the fight and in the process lost some of your belongings.

You then try to come again, despite me warning you, and yet you ignore and try to play the sweet innocent victim.

So now i am going to complain, so next time you try to come again and get your head kicked, you do not run screaming you did nothing wrong.

No.

I'll spell it out for you.

I have stolen your land by force and bulldozed your house. I then shoot you when you try to reclaim your land you have been working for generations. I was called apartheid in South Africa.

No.

I have stolen your land by force and bulldozed your house. I then shoot you when you try to reclaim your land you have been working for generations. I was called apartheid in South Africa.

The Syrians lost the land as a result of their own beligerance and more Syrians left their own border area due to frequently stepping on mines planted by Syria itself. Your tired old apartheid claims are risible, Israel has over a million Arabs who like Christians are free to come and go and worship freely within Israel. The Arab despots meanwhile persecute other religions, treat their own women like dogs whilst the filthy rich leaders lead the high life from their gin palaces whilst feeding their ignorant populaces a diet of hate and strict sharia law. Now that's apartheid. :rolleyes:

Syrian police were observed yesterday rebuffing renewed efforts by protesters to return to the boundary, something they did not do during clashes on Sunday.

Police erected checkpoints and blocked roughly 20 demonstrators who were waving Palestinian flags and preparing to stage more rallies.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwide/middle-east/syrian-police-stop-palestinian-protesters-from-returning-to-golan-border

No.

The weakness of your argument is that the location of the confrontation was the Golan border. The people attacking were not the former Syrian inhabitants. Those inhabitants for the most part had been expelled by the Syrians when they used the heights as a location to bombard Israel. Your sentiments are laudable and I suggest you take it up with the Syrian government that ran off the previous occupants.

Your attempt to use the old canard of apartheid is a demonstration of ignorance. Under apartheid the black africans were not given voting rights and had no legal recourse. Israel extends voting rights to its arab citizens and those citizens have access to the court system. I do not understand your reference to people having worked the land for generations. The majority of arabs did not work those lands for generations as a great many of them had migrated from other arab countries. They howed up during the Ottoman rule as the arabs had been forced from their homes elsewhere. Will you be demanding justice from the muslim Turks for their colonial adventures?

I do applaud your concern for the plight of the victims of the arab induced wars. Does your concern extend to the 1 million or so arabs of jewish origin that had their assets seized, their homes looted, their businesses nationalized and that were expelled from the arab countries between 1948 and 1956? Will you be lobbying for reimbursement of the ransoms paid by the Israelis to rescue the jews in Ethiopia and Yemen? BTW, how come Israel was willing to take in and settle what were ostensibly black africans from Ethiopia, while black africans are enslaved and subject to genocide in the Darfur at the hands of arabs? The countries that practiced what you called apartheid were the arab countries with their imposition of special taxes on Christians and Jews and the forbidding of jews to work in various trades and professions. Have a look at the laws that were in place in Syria, Iraq and Egypt.

Edited by geriatrickid

A large number of posts have been deleted because they were off-topic, insulting,or inflammatory. The replies to those topics were also deleted.

You may express your opinion, but please do so in a civil manner and please stick to the topic.

" It is vital that any response is proportionate"

This is the key and Israel doesn't know the meaning of these two words. They more play the 20-1 game. 20 Arabs for every Israeli. This was a case of blatant murder of unarmed civilians. Those IDF memebers involved must be feeling fairly big and strong today. :bah:

This is the key and Israel doesn't know the meaning of these two words. They more play the 20-1 game. 20 Arabs for every Israeli. This was a case of blatant murder of unarmed civilians. Those IDF memebers involved must be feeling fairly big and strong today. :bah:

actually its more like 350 000 000 arabs against 5 000 000 jews :bah:, unless you forgotten the reason for the border clashes

I hope that IDF soldiers feel big and strong, because everyday they are dealing with lunatics on all fronts

Doesn't it seem rather amazing that this border should explode at this exact moment in time?

Just as Syria seems to be having problems with their own citizenry and are killing them with abandon, the border with Israel suddenly erupts for the first time in modern memory.

Some of you will say it is merely a coincidence caused by the evil Israelis, while some will say it appears to be a ploy on the part of the Syrian regime to deflect worldwide criticism of their own tyranny.

I come down on the side of the ploy.

Doesn't it seem rather amazing that this border should explode at this exact moment in time?

Just as Syria seems to be having problems with their own citizenry and are killing them with abandon, the border with Israel suddenly erupts for the first time in modern memory.

Some of you will say it is merely a coincidence caused by the evil Israelis, while some will say it appears to be a ploy on the part of the Syrian regime to deflect worldwide criticism of their own tyranny.

Then why have the Syrian police stop them from doing it again?

actually its more like 350 000 000 arabs against 5 000 000 jews :bah:, unless you forgotten the reason for the border clashes

I hope that IDF soldiers feel big and strong, because everyday they are dealing with lunatics on all fronts

I love Israel and her people.

Do yourself a favour, and walk around Jerusalem... when you need directions see for yourself who you will trust, Arab or Jew???

That is the best first-hand comparison I can think of.

Murder of unarmed civillians??? You mean that IDF are responsible for bus bombings?:blink: Or do you call the response to rocket attacks murder? :annoyed:

Do yourself a favour, and walk around Jerusalem... when you need directions see for yourself who you will trust, Arab or Jew???

Murder of unarmed civillians??? You mean that IDF are responsible for bus bombings?:blink: Or do you call the response to rocket attacks murder? :annoyed:

I think they were armed with rocks, not rockets.

I think they were armed with rocks, not rockets.

I beg your pardon, I wasn't clear in what I was talking about.

I know that this was not a case involving Bus Bombings either.

My point is that liberals do not consider military/terrorist action against Israel as desreving a response from IDF.

So, what I am to understand then is that if the IDF stoned the Arabs it would be ok?

If Israel defend themselves from sworn enemies, they get a lashing from liberals.

If Israel complain to UN, they get a lashing from the liberals.

So, they should just capitulate to the Arabs, right?

Then why have the Syrian police stop them from doing it again?

No, they started to act because failed to receive any kind of support from UN or International Community, not only that but UN called on Syria to act. This is the only reason why!!!

:blink:The Reform Syria opposition website said on Sunday that the “Naksa” protesters were poor farmers who were paid $1,000 by the Syrian regime to come to the border. The source also claimed that Syria has promised $10,000 to the families of anyone killed.:ph34r:

This seems strangely familiar... were the protesters wearing red too?:o

Which 2 words exactly?

I think it is more the Arab Awakening influencing these sort of events. It is happening right across the Mid East. Arab Nationalism. This, IMO, is why we need to sort a peace deal out ASAP. If not, that Nationalism will united in a way we have not seen before. And another major Arab Israeli war will kick off again. Not good.

If Israel defend themselves from sworn enemies, they get a lashing from liberals.

No. The Israeli government should just become a little more liberal. :)

No. The Israeli government should just become a little more liberal. :)

Israel is a democracy, there are plenty of liberals there too. And unlike their Arab neighbours, they do allow critisism of the government.

Fourteen people were reportedly killed and 43 injured Monday after violence erupted in a Palestinian refugee camp in Syria, Palestinian news agency WAFA said.

The violence broke out in the Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus when thousands of refugees attacked the headquarters of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine – General Commend (PFLP-GC) after a funeral was held for Palestinians killed by IDF fire during 'Naksa' Day clashes earlier this week.

The mourners at the funeral accused the PFLP leadership of sending their "sons" to the border clashes.WAFA cited refugee camp sources as saying that 43 people were also seriously injured in the confrontation.

:unsure:

I think it is more the Arab Awakening influencing these sort of events. It is happening right across the Mid East. Arab Nationalism. This, IMO, is why we need to sort a peace deal out ASAP. If not, that Nationalism will united in a way we have not seen before. And another major Arab Israeli war will kick off again. Not good.

You have this arse about face again. The so called Arab Spring (An oxymoron of our times) has resulted in Assad coming under severe pressure himself. He is playing the cynical age old card of trying to deflect attention onto Israel by actually paying bounty to those willing to charge the border fence, with high payments for the families of those killed, how cynical is that?

With regard to proportional response I see that aside from the individual circumstances there is a double standard at work here considering Assad killed 130 of his own citizens.

Fourteen people were reportedly killed and 43 injured Monday after violence erupted in a Palestinian refugee camp in Syria, Palestinian news agency WAFA said.

The violence broke out in the Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus when thousands of refugees attacked the headquarters of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine – General Commend (PFLP-GC) after a funeral was held for Palestinians killed by IDF fire during 'Naksa' Day clashes earlier this week.

The mourners at the funeral accused the PFLP leadership of sending their "sons" to the border clashes.WAFA cited refugee camp sources as saying that 43 people were also seriously injured in the confrontation.

:unsure:

He who lives in glass houses or refugee camps shouldn't throw stones. I'm waiting for the liberal *edited out* storm of indignation against the instigators to start. :)

Edited by Scott
word edited out

It is erroneous to affix labels of liberal or conservative, right wing or left wing to this situation. There are many people you would label liberals that support Israel and there are those considered right wing that are on the opposing side. I don't believe any "liberal" would support the PFLP's decision to sacrifice people for the sake of some headlines. I also believe that you will find a great many liberals abhor the fact that Syria and its cronies in the PFLP sent molotov carrying people to the border with the intent of setting people alight. It is the liberal element that was the first to condemn Syria's brutal crackdown, while it is the conservative element that has said, better to leave the known Syrian devils alone lest one get a more violent alternative, Both sides have valid views. The people labeled "liberal" are not liberal in any sense of the word as this would entail supporting groups that are opposed to the values of true liberals. The violent attackers certainly did not share the values of any liberal I know.