Thai Immigration Tightens Requirements For Retirement Visa Extensions

......recommendable for people living in autocratic countries ruled by dictatorial despot's, this is obviously not the case in Thailand, if it was, we the farangs would not be in retirement here.

Speak for yourself. I've spent quite a lot of time in countries run by dictators and despots, and I would happily repeat most of it.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am blind but in re-reading the OP nowhere do I see it state that the income must come from outside the country as members seem to be saying it says.

I think you are correct, SBK....

I don't know who wrote the headline in question, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time in ThaiVisa-dom that an inaccurate or misleading headline was slapped on an article/post.

The actual post from the Sunbelt guy doesn't address the issue of bringing funds into Thailand, re the 65.000 monthly income requirement. Nor did the followup post by the same person.

So unless some evidence surfaces to the contrary, I think folks would be better served focusing on the main issue that independent documentation of monthly income may now be required, at least in some instances, in addition to the traditional consular letters.

That's what the Sunbelt post focused on. That's what some other ThaiVisa members have reported... Anything beyond that, at this point, has no established evidence to support it.

Edited by jfchandler

I am very confused about the new alleged requirement to submit proof of 2 months of pension deposits into my Thai bank account. Each months minimum deposit is to be 65,000 Baht.

I normally have SOME my pension wired into my Thai account every 2 months just to reduce the charges of wire transfer fees. I NEVER wire ALL of my pension into my account here, just what I need to live on .

Each year for the last 10 years I have provided a letter from my American Embassy verifying the amount of my pension.

Am I to understand that NOW I will STILL need to provide the document from my Embassy that the Thai Immigration does not believe ( that cost $50.00) to be true and accurate?

If the Thai Immigration disbelieves the document why do they still insist that I provide it?

I do not want to transfer all of my pension and saving into this country only JUST enough to satisfy their 65,000 Baht per month requirement.

I guess that now my only question is ... Can I just have the required 2 month total of 130,000 sent in a single transfer?

Jing, I'd certainly agree direct feedback from current applicants would be helpful here...

But, as for the OP, as best as I recall, the reference to "importing" funds was made in a headline and then not backed up or supported in the actual text of the report....

The 65,000 baht route is a main approach for people who DON'T want to keep their funds in Thai banks....

So if Thai immigration was suddenly beginning to require proof that those monthly income funds have been imported into Thailand, I'd imagine we'd already be hearing TONS of complaints and or mass extension denials coming out of Chaeng Wattana....

And as best as I can tell, we're not getting either of those thus far.

That's right!

Documents can be acquired but proof of transfer of pension funds into a Thai bank account would be impossible for people who don't do it - resulting in denial of extensions if Immigration were strictly requiring this. We would have expected to hear at least some complaints by now.

That's right!

Documents can be acquired but proof of transfer of pension funds into a Thai bank account would be impossible for people who don't do it - resulting in denial of extensions if Immigration were strictly requiring this. We would have expected to hear at least some complaints by now.

Surely you don't mean to imply that TVers complain about things, do you? biggrin.gif

David

OK...REPORT....REPORT...REPORT

UK Citizen...Chiang Mai Immigration...Friday 10 June 2011

Within last 30 days of Non-Immigrant "O" visa applying for 1 year Retirement extension of stay.

Submitted :-

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

4. Original Proof of Pension income letter from British Consulate Chiang Mai

5. Photocopy Departure card

7. Photocopy Passport Data Page

8. Photocopy Non-Immigrant "O" visa

9. 1,900 BHT

Received:-

1 Year Extension of stay based on meeting the conditions for retirement in Thailand

Not Required ...

Additional proof of pension income.

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

Pension imported into Thailand.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have resisted the temptation to add to this inane thread until now. Despite "Freedom of Speech", I thing the moderators should nip threads spreading unsubstantiated rumours in the bud. I am sure that "The Authorities" monitor forum(s). By airing your fears,loopholes in the system etc. in public, you play into "The Authorities" hands.

Surely it is better to "keep schtum" .

Irrelevant.

Go back and read the OP. Stated clearly were nationalilites: US, Canada & Australia. It is well known that UK citizens have to show proof of income to embassy in order to get the income letter.

I am very confused about the new alleged requirement to submit proof of 2 months of pension deposits into my Thai bank account. Each months minimum deposit is to be 65,000 Baht.

JC, I think you're misunderstanding the gist of this thread....

What MAY be occurring is that Thai Immigration may no longer be satisfied with only seeing a consular letter, and may instead be asking applicants, or at least some applicants, to show separate documentation of their 65,000 baht or greater in monthly income. Such as providing copies of pension checks, bank statements, etc. for a two-month period prior to the renewal application.

I say MAY on that point because, other than the Sunbelt post that started this thread, there has been no announcement from Immigration on this point, and more importantly, there have been only a very few reports by TV members who have faced that kind of new documentation approach at the time of their extension renewals. If it is occurring as a new policy or practice, perhaps we'll hear more about it as time passes. Right now, there's just not a lot of clear reports and/or evidence to go on.

Meanwhile, I'd say there is absolutely NO clear evidence or reports thus far that Thai Immigration is somehow requiring those 65,000 baht or greater of funds to be brought into Thailand. Although, a headline in the OP in this thread has created a lot of confusion and debate on that subject. But apart from that one headline, there's absolutely nothing I've seen to support that notion, including in the actual post that followed that headline.

Within last 30 days of Non-Immigrant "O" visa applying for 1 year Retirement extension of stay.

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

9. 1,900 BHT

1 Year Extension of stay based on meeting the conditions for retirement in Thailand

Not Required ...

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have resisted the temptation to add to this inane thread until now. Despite "Freedom of Speech", I thing the moderators should nip threads spreading unsubstantiated rumours in the bud. I am sure that "The Authorities" monitor forum(s). By airing your fears,loopholes in the system etc. in public, you play into "The Authorities" hands.

Good report but you do not say whether you used income or lump sum to qualify for your extension.

These posts are really referring to the income route where the Embassy of some countries do not require to see evidence but rely solely on the word of the applicant. There was a report by a poster (US) some months ago stating that he had been told by Imm. that in the future evidence to support the letter would be required.

However if applying for an extension on income at the "British Embassy" a letter will not be issued without them seeing proof of income.

Their letter to Immigration stipulates this that they have seen evidence of the income noted in their letter.

Edited by Tafia

Personally I hope Thai Immigration squeezes all the foreigners (and their money) out of Thailand. Now they single out older people who are not competing for Thai jobs, who are not rich criminals, (rich criminals get permanent residence) … they hassle the people who are just getting on with life in an affordable place and put new money into the economy. Coming from the oil industry, I have lived in ten countries on five continents and never experienced government immigration like Thailand. One big reason I am leaving. This propaganda of foreign residents being here because they are addicted to bar girls or they are alcoholics is out of date. Get over it. Deal with it Thai people. Stop blaming the ills of Thailand on foreign residents.I believe the respectable foreigners living here far out number the less respectable.

Edited by razer

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

9. 1,900 BHT

Not Required ...

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

Good report but you do not say whether you used income or lump sum to qualify for your extension.

These posts are really referring to the income route where the Embassy of some countries do not require to see evidence but rely solely on the word of the applicant. There was a report by a poster (US) some months ago stating that he had been told by Imm. that in the future evidence to support the letter would be required.

However if applying for an extension on income at the "British Embassy" a letter will not be issued without them seeing proof of income.

Their letter to Immigration stipulates this that they have seen evidence of the income noted in their letter.

Yes he does. Item 4.

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

9. 1,900 BHT

Not Required ...

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

Irrelevant.

Go back and read the OP. Stated clearly were nationalilites: US, Canada & Australia. It is well known that UK citizens have to show proof of income to embassy in order to get the income letter.

It is relevant.

There are two points at issue:-

1. The need for, for some nationalities at least, to show Immigration proof of pension income.

2. The need to show importation of the pension funds.

Rawhods post is relevant to point 2

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

9. 1,900 BHT

Not Required ...

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

Yes he does. Item 4.

my mistake, but shows that proof is required at the British Embassy and is meeting what the poster suggests are change....unlike some.

Edited by Tafia

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

9. 1,900 BHT

Not Required ...

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

Thats strange I had all of the above but was refused my extention of stay,

Because I did not have proof of owing or renting a property in the area ( Pattaya immigration)

I answered the question regarding my address as the Hotel I was staying at that time.

So I would add need to show proof of resident to that list.

I am not sure if you forgot that, if not you were lucky.

Pat :jap:

Personally I hope Thai Immigration squeezes all the foreigners (and their money) out of Thailand. Now they single out older people who are not competing for Thai jobs, who are not rich criminals, (rich criminals get permanent residence) … they hassle the people who are just getting on with life in an affordable place and put new money into the economy. Coming from the oil industry, I have lived in ten countries on five continents and never experienced government immigration like Thailand. One big reason I am leaving. This propaganda of foreign residents being here because they are addicted to bar girls or they are alcoholics is out of date. Get over it. Deal with it Thai people. Stop blaming the ills of Thailand on foreign residents.I believe the respectable foreigners living here far out number the less respectable.

well goodbye and good rinse Edited by sexy man

......recommendable for people living in autocratic countries ruled by dictatorial despot's, this is obviously not the case in Thailand, if it was, we the farangs would not be in retirement here.

Speak for yourself. I've spent quite a lot of time in countries run by dictators and despots, and I would happily repeat most of it.

Odd reply, the "term" was ... recommendable, not enforceable, people make their own decision on this matter and have different views on where to go, and what to do, retirement-wise, or otherwise.

But there is no doubt that most people prefer countries with freedom of speech, but obviously to some blokes it does not matter a bit, they are quite happy with a subliminal life style, as long as booze is available.

Monthly income figures stated in letters issued by the British Embassy at any rate are normally GROSS and might exceed the 65,000 THB minimum comfortably. However, even if a particular month’s pension payment were transferred in full to Thailand, the NET amount ending up in a bank account here after tax has been deducted back home might well fall short of 65,000 THB. It seems arguable to me, therefore, that the OP is, in effect, saying that Immigration are now only interested in NET income figures - in which case I shall almost certainly be on a plane back to the UK mid-August in the event of the GBP’s value against the THB plummeting further over the next few weeks.:(

I haven’t waded my way all through this thread, so apologies if this point has already been raised.

1. Passport

2. Photo

3. Completed TM7

9. 1,900 BHT

Not Required ...

Bank statements.

Thai Bank Book

Thats strange I had all of the above but was refused my extention of stay,

Because I did not have proof of owing or renting a property in the area ( Pattaya immigration)

I answered the question regarding my address as the Hotel I was staying at that time.

So I would add need to show proof of resident to that list.

I am not sure if you forgot that, if not you were lucky.

Pat :jap:

The report was based on my experience last Friday at CM immigration applying for retirement extension of stay.

However...you could be correct...

When I changed my visa from Tourist to Non-Imm "O" at CM immigration, I had my partner (Thai GF) with me, and they did keep the copy of her Tabian Baan. Also, we both signed a form, firstly I signed to say where I was resident and my partner signed to guarantee that was my address. ( It was, of course, in Thai, so I didn't completely understand until afterwards when my partner explained)

Presumably because of this, proof of residence was not asked for with my application for extension of stay.

But there is no doubt that most people prefer countries with freedom of speech, but obviously to some blokes it does not matter a bit, they are quite happy with a subliminal life style, as long as booze is available.

Funny how it always come to back to "holier than thou" when the bubble of delusion is pricked, isnt it?

They could up the 800.000 Bt you need to 2 million and you don t have it and you have to move out of Thailand as a result....

"Could" is not the question. "When" is the question.

When Thailand thinks it can do without the revenue generated by poorer retired farangs, it will increase the requirements for a visa extension. And progressively they will weed out all but the richest retirees. At the same time I expect them to be much more stringent about work permits, as there are many incompetent farangs working here that arent doing any sort of job that a Thai person couldnt do just as well (or just as badly).

It may take 1 year, or 10, or 50, or more. But both will happen one day.

Just one reason why I am cautious about the property market here.

"When Thailand thinks it can do without the revenue generated by poorer retired farangs, it will increase the requirements for a visa extension. And progressively they will weed out all but the richest retiree"

From what I've read over the past couple of years, Thailand's neighbors - Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc. have wised up and simplified their immigration regulations and made it much easier for foreigners to retire there. Only Thailand seems to be tightening the screws on their already draconian immigration laws. As we all know TiT . . .

I lived in the Philippines a few years ago -- all that was required to renew your Visa was to take it to a travel agent and they would send a runner to Immigration to renew it for you -- only $15 US dollars and it was good for 6 months- when you had to repeat the process again. For an additional $2, they would deliver it to your residence. I never even knew where the Immigration office was located.

Much different than the 6 treks that I am required to make yearly to Thai Immigration.

Monthly income figures stated in letters issued by the British Embassy at any rate are normally GROSS and might exceed the 65,000 THB minimum comfortably. However, even if a particular month's pension payment were transferred in full to Thailand, the NET amount ending up in a bank account here after tax has been deducted back home might well fall short of 65,000 THB. It seems arguable to me, therefore, that the OP is, in effect, saying that Immigration are now only interested in NET income figures - in which case I shall almost certainly be on a plane back to the UK mid-August in the event of the GBP's value against the THB plummeting further over the next few weeks.:(

I haven't waded my way all through this thread, so apologies if this point has already been raised.

You might well be the person to verify this:

The British Embassy state the income using the gross figure, and not the nett?

There was some confusion about this last year that never got properly answered before the thread ran out of steam, or it got locked

Penkoprod

You might well be the person to verify this:

The British Embassy state the income using the gross figure, and not the nett?

There was some confusion about this last year that never got properly answered before the thread ran out of steam, or it got locked

Certainly when I got my letter from the British Embassy in April they gave the gross figure, even though my pension statement indicated the tax I paid last year.

I understand that they use the gross figure as everyone's circumstances are different, some pay tax and some don't, and those that do pay tax on their pension will pay it at different rates due to the allowances they can claim.

Irrelevant.

It is relevant.

1. The need for, for some nationalities at least, to show Immigration proof of pension income.

You really are confused. Perhaps you should read the OP again before you reply as Rawhod's post has nothing to do with requirements for Australian and US citizens, the nationalities in question in the OP.

where there are hints they MAY have been looking for evidence of IMPORT in the THAI bank books.

We see more than infrequently on this forum where someone on the income method is asked to show his bankbook. No set amount is being looked for -- only an indication that at least some of that reported income is leaking into Thailand.

Certainly nothing in the regs about this (which is not unusual). And certainly not very efficient, considering many of us bring our money, or spending, into Thailand using plastic. However, it does show that Immigration is aware that proven income doesn't always equate to cash available for use in Thailand.

It is well known that UK citizens have to show proof of income to embassy in order to get the income letter.

I guess if it turns out that most of those paupers ripping-off Thai hospitals are Brits here on retirement extensions, the authorities will be very interested in how much of that income is coming to Thailand....

However, this thread has been off the mark since the OP. Besides the erroneous inclusion of Canadians, the use of the word "pensions" instead of "income" is misleading, per the following Police Order quote:

Proof of income, e.g., retirement

pension, interest earnings or dividends, etc.

We're all just pissin' in the wind at this juncture.

Unless one has read this thread from the beginning it now appears to be causing more confusion rather than clarifying the situation at immigration. Tropo made a trip to immigration at Chonburi and the officer he spoke to says no changes at this time and he also posted a notice that is posted at immigration listing the requirements of extension of stay.

Complaining about immigration, posting disparaging remarks, and a few other off the wall commits does nothing to clear the air on any of this.

Waiting on more reports doesn't seem to be helping either as none or coming in that may be relavant to the new changes that maybe coming about or not.

This is not the place to be posting unsubstantiated rumours. One post removed.

Man O man how deep we have dug this hole. I meet the requirement every which way and sunday, my only confusing thought about it is "what type of info will they accept for proof of income". There are several ways I could show the proof, bank statement, tax return, statement from my pension fund rep, or any other number of ways to do it except on the 2 month thing. Will ponder this for a while and then go with my papers and see which one they will accept. Just hope it does not require me to go back and forth to BKK embassy for more and more paperwork. I hope the Thai Immigrations folks start learning the paperless way to do business in the future. That should be fun.

Edited by keith7777

This is not the place to be posting unsubstantiated rumours. One post removed.

Man O man how deep we have dug this hole. I meet the requirement every which way and sunday, my only confusing thought about it is "what type of info will they accept for proof of income". There are several ways I could show the proof, bank statement, tax return, statement from my pension fund rep, or any other number of ways to do it except on the 2 month thing. Will ponder this for a while and then go with my papers and see which one they will accept. Just hope it does not require me to go back and forth to BKK embassy for more and more paperwork. I hope the Thai Immigrations folks start learning the paperless way to do business in the future. That should be fun.

Only one trip to Embassy is necessary for initial letter some reports say no older than 3 months. When I do my extension in a few months I will have my bank account statements showing deposits of income (US bank) and w-2 forms. Thats what I have and if not enough old well.

Edited by moe666

Irrelevant.

It is relevant.

You really are confused. Perhaps you should read the OP again before you reply as Rawhod's post has nothing to do with requirements for Australian and US citizens, the nationalities in question in the OP.

Tropo - I believe it is you that should read the OP again.

The paragraph beginning "It has been reported..." which contains the bones of the so called "new" requirement, makes no mention of which, if any, nationalities are exempted from this "new" requirement.

The following paragraph simply refers to certain nationalities as being notable exceptions to those nationalities that this will make no real difference to, because they already have such proof. It does not say that some nationalities (e.g. Brits) are exemted from it.

The sub-heading states that proof of transfer into Thailand is required. This is not justified in the body of the post, but has been of concern to a lot of posters in this thread. Again there is no mention of which nationalities this does or does not apply to. Rawhod's post is definately relevant to this point.

It is a little unfortunate that the original poster has not seen fit to justify that statement or else amend or withdraw it. Examing bank books does not necessarily mean that they are seeking proof that the pensions are brought into Thailand every month. It might just be they want to make sure that applicants have sufficient funds here to support themselves.