Should Foreigners Pay Higher Prices?

dunkin2012

It does not matter if tourists pay taxes or not, they are still helping the economy by being there. By discriminating against them it is not exactly looking at the bigger picture now is it, it is simply short term gain, sometimes not even that if the tourist walks away.

If the tourists would disappear from Thailand, the country would still do well.

We foreigners like to think we play a very important role in keeping the country afloat.

But we dont.

We only contribute to the total, and not as much as some of us love to think.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the country itself (tax payers) pay some of the costs to operate it, yes the visitors should pay more than the locals.

Anyhow, "spesial plise for you my flend" is so common here, starting from taxi drivers and street vendors, passing the Police (bribes and personal fines), and all the way up to the top in the political/business landscape.

Some can be avoided, by letting Thai friends or relatives do the transactions.

Some is just take it or leave it.

I take it.

I dont like it, but I take it

;-)

Do you know anyone? :rolleyes:

You talk about tax payers, right? Yes I know quite a few actually.

Where do you think the money spent comes from?

The state just print up all the time?

;-)

;-)

By the way,

we think Thailand is the only country doing this?

Check out something called "Jones act". A smarter way to do it.

Check out what the state of Alaska is doing, even to other Americans (from outside Alaska).

Plenty other countries do the same.

Let's face it: this double pricing is pure and simple racism or xenophobia. It's wrong. Period.

It is is no way racist. Period !!

If it was racist, Farangs with Thai Driving Licences would still get charged the Tourist price.

TVVS ( ThaiVisaVictimsSociety) stupidity.

Mrs Mills, shame you are already wed, because I do agree. Rarely, if ever must i pay for being farang.

last time i was ripped off as a tourist i was back in my hometown at the aquarium without any of my old id.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/tickets/edge/gate.htm?passthru=true&referer=%2Ftickets%2Fedge%2Fperks%2Findex%2Ehtm

It does not matter if tourists pay taxes or not, they are still helping the economy by being there. By discriminating against them it is not exactly looking at the bigger picture now is it, it is simply short term gain, sometimes not even that if the tourist walks away.

We foreigners like to think we play a very important role in keeping the country afloat.

But we dont.

It does not matter if tourism helps a little, or alot. The fact is tourism helps Thailand, as it does anywhere else. To try to deny it is nonsensical.

Stating that Thailand would do well without Tourism, however much truth that holds, is not the issue here, and your other points are just pulled out of thin air.

The question is: does having to pay 200 baht to get into a national park versus the 20 baht locals pay (as an example) dissuade many tourists from visiting the country, or from returning here?

If not, then the point is moot from a business standpoint (if not a moral/ethical/philosophical one).

But we dont.

It does not matter if tourism helps a little, or alot. The fact is tourism helps Thailand, as it does anywhere else. To try to deny it is nonsensical.

Stating that Thailand would do well without Tourism, however much truth that holds, is not the issue here, and your other points are just pulled out of thin air.

You mentioned if the tourists walked away.

anyhow,

the word "racism" must be up there together with the word "mafia" when it comes to most popular words used here on TV.

Well, maybe sin sot or farang is more used.

;-)

I do not think the pricing in other aspects of the society here has anything to do with racism (or being xenophobic).

It is based upon what they think you can pay.

Pure human greed.

Almost eradicated back in the west only because it became illegal.

If not illegal, it would still exist all over the globe.

Pure human greed.

Denying someone entrance because they do not want to have your type around is racism.

If are able to pay, and you are welcome, then it is not racism.

Then it is......Pure human greed.

I do not like it at all, but must accept it.

It does not stop me from visiting the country, but it does stop me from visiting some places that inflate the price tremendously. There are plenty of things to do and places to go in Thailand that don't try to rip you off, the places that do are in the minority.

From an individual business standpoint, it may be beneficial to fleece foreigners depending on if it increases their overall earnings.

I would say foreigners should not pay higher prices as there is no fair way to suggest that they should. It is discrimination, simple as that.

It does not stop me from visiting the country, but it does stop me from visiting some places that inflate the price tremendously. There are plenty of things to do and places to go in Thailand that don't try to rip you off, the places that do are in the minority.

From an individual business standpoint, it may be beneficial to fleece foreigners depending on if it increases their overall earnings.

I would say foreigners should not pay higher prices as there is no fair way to suggest that they should. It is discrimination, simple as that.

I mostly agree with you.

:-)

but as I stated, I think in post # 32, this is very common all over the western world as well.

Just done differently.

Definitely, it is not exclusive to Thialand, it happens all over just in differeint guises, and I don't agree with that.

I remember I was in Manchester for a footy match and i'd just bought some food from one of the outside vendors, waiting on my food I noticed the guy that took my order try to charge some asian guy that spoke little english about £1 more than I just payed for a Hot dog. It was expensive already with it being at a match but the guy was trying to take the piss even more out of someone that didn't know any better, I spoke to the vendor guy told him to sort it out and he apologised to the guy he tried to fleece saying he made an error, and charged him the correct, but still overpriced amount.

I just find it disgusting.

Edited by scottyd

Definitely, it is not exclusive to Thialand, it happens all over just in differeint guises, and I don't agree with that.

I remember I was in Manchester for a footy match and i'd just bought some food from one of the outside vendors, waiting on my food I noticed the guy that took my order try to charge some asian guy that spoke little english about £1 more than I just payed for a Hot dog. It was expensive already with it being at a match but the guy was trying to take the piss even more out of someone that didn't know any better, I spoke to the vendor guy told him to sort it out and he apologised to the guy he tried to fleece saying he made an error, and charged him the correct, but still overpriced amount.

I just find it disgusting.

I hope you didnt bought any food from that vendor later on.

:D

I think that foreigners should pay a higher price for some things like park entrances. In the USa if you go to a state park and you are an American but don't reside in that particular state you pay a higher price. Same for fishing and hunting licenses, It is as some people have said a matter of the locals paying taxes that support whatever place you are trying to enter.

I think having foreigners pay 5 times the price or whatever it is is a bit overboard though. If a local gets into a place for 20 Baht then a foreigner should pay maybe 30 or at most 40 Baht. If they kept it reasonable then I don't think many people would care and we could stop having this tired discussion.

I think that foreigners should pay a higher price for some things like park entrances. In the USa if you go to a state park and you are an American but don't reside in that particular state you pay a higher price. Same for fishing and hunting licenses, It is as some people have said a matter of the locals paying taxes that support whatever place you are trying to enter.

I think having foreigners pay 5 times the price or whatever it is is a bit overboard though. If a local gets into a place for 20 Baht then a foreigner should pay maybe 30 or at most 40 Baht. If they kept it reasonable then I don't think many people would care and we could stop having this tired discussion.

YeH..

we are willing to pay even x2 more. on the other hand, x5 more Er............. is really too much.

Make us look like idiots.

I live here and work here just like any Thai but with my white skin they want me to pay more. Though I make the same as my Thjai co workers and pay Tax that they do not as well as work permit fees and immigration fees.

Love thailand so I put up with it. Hawaii did it too

I don't get on ThaiVisa much these days but a few days back there was a thread on tipping (do you and how much?) now this one on double pricing (ok or not?). I guess it must soon be time for "Farang, is it an insult or not?".

It just shows that no matter how much things change, things stay the same.

Double pricing happens to varying extents all over the world, if you don't like it or are not prepared to pay the price walk away.

Nobody forces you into these places.

In general, I think that people do not mind paying a little bit more for tax supported services. If a park entrance is 40 baht for a local and 200 baht for a foreigner, then that is bullcrap. If someone has any type of long term visa, they should be charged as a local as they are continuously contributing to the economy.

However, it seems like so many non-tax supported local vendors view a non-Thai person as an entity to be charged an obscene multiple of the local price. That is what pisses people off.

I know people will mention how there is dual pricing in some parts of the USA, but as far as I know, those charges are never twice as much, or more, than the locals. Additionally, when people bring up the USA, they should make it very clear that the dual pricing applies to all people from outside the area or state. That is a huge difference from Thailand which essentially says, you are not Thai, you pay more.

TheWalkingMan

In general, I think that people do not mind paying a little bit more for tax supported services. If a park entrance is 40 baht for a local and 200 baht for a foreigner, then that is bullcrap. If someone has any type of long term visa, they should be charged as a local as they are continuously contributing to the economy.

However, it seems like so many non-tax supported local vendors view a non-Thai person as an entity to be charged an obscene multiple of the local price. That is what pisses people off.

I know people will mention how there is dual pricing in some parts of the USA, but as far as I know, those charges are never twice as much, or more, than the locals. Additionally, when people bring up the USA, they should make it very clear that the dual pricing applies to all people from outside the area or state. That is a huge difference from Thailand which essentially says, you are not Thai, you pay more.

TheWalkingMan

I keep agreeing with your posts lately. :D

Fact is, despite all your various rants against this that, and whatever. This 'low season' appears to be the worst ever. And the 'hlgh season' not good either.

They ask why? Most here on Phuket understand the fundamentals of economics, the rest in denial.

I do not involve myself with the ugly tourist trade. Fools. Bring back the plantations.

Hey Everyone. My new wife and I chose China and Thailand for our honeymoon vacation (She is Chinese and I am Canadian). I thought I would throw my experiences into the mix, along with my thoughts on them.

We started our Thailand trip with Phuket, prepared to pay inflated prices since it is a tourist island. We didn't really have a good time since it seemed like everyone was trying to rip us off. We just couldn't have a good time. Vendors following me down streets to buy suits, about one million massage offers, and really expensive rice. It costs a lot to get to Thailand from Canada. About 6000 Canadian dollars total, and we are not rich.

I had put a lot of effort into learning basic Thai to make people feel comfortable around me and to try and express my respect and interest of Thai culture. I learned all the basic words for proper manors along with the basic greetings. I basically threw all that out the window when no one seemed to care. They only cared about my white skin which seemed to signify that I was rich. They never really bothered my Chinese wife who actually makes more money than me... At first I was happy that people were interested in me because they asked where I came from....but I quickly clued in that they just wanted to figure out how much they should inflate their prices. The most annoying this was how us foreigners had to pay to take a piss while the locals walked in. i understand where they are coming from. We probably do make a whole lot more...but we heard Thailand was affordable but we often paid more for things than back home. We actually had a Tuk Tuk driver drop us off at the wrong street, proclaiming we were in the right place, so that he could make more money (we were about halfway to our destination). I was happy to leave that island and I will never return nor recommend it to anyone. Although obviously not true, it felt like every Thai there was dishonest and wanted to rip us off.

We are in Bangkok now, and the people are great. Everyone is kind and I whip out my poor excuse for Thai to try and show my appreciation. However, it is pretty apparent that there is a lot of double pricing. We don't take Tuk Tuks because we dont trust them, and instead stick with mass transit. We were going to attend some Thai boxing matches, but decided against it when seeing the seemingly inflated tourist prices of 1000 baht for nosebleed section (I am guessing they are inflated).

anyways, to summarize the double pricing and money grab tactics made me feel unwelcome and have negatively effected my experiences here, which is a shame. Not sure if other visitors notice this or not. I probably won't return to Thailand since it is so far away and not worth the stress of having to barter everything down to 1/3 their original price.

Hey Everyone. My new wife and I chose China and Thailand for our honeymoon vacation (She is Chinese and I am Canadian). I thought I would throw my experiences into the mix, along with my thoughts on them.

We started our Thailand trip with Phuket, prepared to pay inflated prices since it is a tourist island. We didn't really have a good time since it seemed like everyone was trying to rip us off. We just couldn't have a good time. Vendors following me down streets to buy suits, about one million massage offers, and really expensive rice. It costs a lot to get to Thailand from Canada. About 6000 Canadian dollars total, and we are not rich.

I had put a lot of effort into learning basic Thai to make people feel comfortable around me and to try and express my respect and interest of Thai culture. I learned all the basic words for proper manors along with the basic greetings. I basically threw all that out the window when no one seemed to care. They only cared about my white skin which seemed to signify that I was rich. They never really bothered my Chinese wife who actually makes more money than me... At first I was happy that people were interested in me because they asked where I came from....but I quickly clued in that they just wanted to figure out how much they should inflate their prices. The most annoying this was how us foreigners had to pay to take a piss while the locals walked in. i understand where they are coming from. We probably do make a whole lot more...but we heard Thailand was affordable but we often paid more for things than back home. We actually had a Tuk Tuk driver drop us off at the wrong street, proclaiming we were in the right place, so that he could make more money (we were about halfway to our destination). I was happy to leave that island and I will never return nor recommend it to anyone. Although obviously not true, it felt like every Thai there was dishonest and wanted to rip us off.

We are in Bangkok now, and the people are great. Everyone is kind and I whip out my poor excuse for Thai to try and show my appreciation. However, it is pretty apparent that there is a lot of double pricing. We don't take Tuk Tuks because we dont trust them, and instead stick with mass transit. We were going to attend some Thai boxing matches, but decided against it when seeing the seemingly inflated tourist prices of 1000 baht for nosebleed section (I am guessing they are inflated).

anyways, to summarize the double pricing and money grab tactics made me feel unwelcome and have negatively effected my experiences here, which is a shame. Not sure if other visitors notice this or not. I probably won't return to Thailand since it is so far away and not worth the stress of having to barter everything down to 1/3 their original price.

You are spot on. If all tourists thought like you then perhaps things might get better.

Enjoy your new life together and happy times. :) T/A

Stick to fixed-priced shops/departmen stores if the bartering process stresses you out. Prices asked of Thais by street vendors are hugely inflated in the first instance, too; the vendor expects to be bargained down significantly. It's part of the game, same everywhere. Some people enjoy the interaction, others are stressed by it.

Although obviously not true, it felt like every Thai there was dishonest and wanted to rip us off.

It is more true than many people would like to admit. As tourists continue to dwindle, Phuket in particular is becoming very Darwinian. In that environment, the decent people are being progressively pushed out, as there is not enough revenue to sustain them. Somebody has to go. The ones who make the most money, and who thus remain, are the ones who are most adept at swindling. Normal controls, which should have the honest people enjoying more repeat business and coming out ahead, don't work in an economic downturn as severe as what we have right now. As the global economy continues to contract, expect this problem to only get worse. Survival in Phuket right now dictates natural selection in favor of the most evil.

In the end, the only people remaining in Phuket will be the extremely dishonest ones. I haven't been back in almost 3 years, and I have no desire to ever return. Even 600 baht air fares just don't compensate me for having to subject myself to that kind of torture.

Bangkok, due to its much larger economic base, is still relatively free of this kind of problem. But even it will start to fail spectacularly as the current crisis worsens.

From my point of view, foreigners should pay higher prices when it is clearly established. I did not feel ripped off when I saw at the phuket aquarium that I had to pay 100 baht vs 50 baht for the gf. I didn't get too upset when I saw in chumphon a massage shop that had different pricing clearly posted on the wall. (50 baht more).

Airlines are notorious for the "dynamic pricing" model. It's nothing new. But what can we do? You either pay for the ticket or shop elsewhere. The same was true in phuket sometimes. I remember one time I was looking at a tshirt i really wanted. I decided to buy and I asked how much. She said "600 baht". I immediately turned around and walked away, giving the vendor a dirty look. She immediately followed me and kept dropping the price. Then she when to 150 or 200 baht and I turn around and smirked at her and said "100 baht" She said "cannot", I walked away with the t-shirt at 150. That was my second week in patong. I do not like it when it is not clear what the price should be. I suppose everyone must make that choice for themselves i.e. vote with your feet.

Other people have posted that it happens all over the world. This is correct. I think the difference is that when I go to a theme park in USA, it is clear that local residents get discount. Same with student, elderly, membership, etc discounts. It's usually in writing on the price board. That's the main difference. If it is clearly established in writing for everyone to see, then the choice is clear.

Another poster recommended shopping at company dept stores. I recommend the same, especially if it is an electronic item that you plan on using long-term.

But we dont.

Certain towns are touristy. It is true that Thai people could survive just fine without the tourists. Without any of the farangs, the economy would definetly not be the same. Patong Beach and Kata/Chalong are prime examples. I would also assume certain areas of Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Krabi, etc would be the same.

Edited by 4evermaat

. I remember one time I was looking at a tshirt i really wanted. I decided to buy and I asked how much. She said "600 baht". I immediately turned around and walked away, giving the vendor a dirty look. She immediately followed me and kept dropping the price. Then she when to 150 or 200 baht and I turn around and smirked at her and said "100 baht" She said "cannot", I walked away with the t-shirt at 150. That was my second week in patong. I do not like it when it is not clear what the price should be. I suppose everyone must make that choice for themselves i.e. vote with your feet.

Giving the vendor a dirty look is not going to make anyone happy. It's a bargaining process -- that's how it works. Everyone knows that the first price is going to be ridiculously high. That does not mean they are trying to rip you off; that's the way the game is played. And what's the "right" price, anyway? One that gives the vendor 10% profit? Or 20% or 30% or 50% profit? There is no "right" price -- just the price that you and the vendor agree upon.

This is the same whether it's Patong Beach, the Marrakech medina, or Silk Alley in Beijing. It always pays to visit a department store or to shop around to see what fixed-price places charge for an item, then play the game. But you'll find it a lot more pleasant process without dirty looks and smirks.

I usually just hand over my wallet and let them take out whatever it costs.

Mate did that with a copper once....worked a treat.

Wonder if the Thai BiB do the dual pricing system too.:rolleyes:

remember there is a charge "attempted bribery ". :jap: