Should Foreigners Pay Higher Prices?

dunkin2012

I don't get on ThaiVisa much these days but a few days back there was a thread on tipping (do you and how much?) now this one on double pricing (ok or not?). I guess it must soon be time for "Farang, is it an insult or not?".

It just shows that no matter how much things change, things stay the same.

Double pricing happens to varying extents all over the world, if you don't like it or are not prepared to pay the price walk away.

Nobody forces you into these places.

Well, thats a cop out answer if I ever heard one. The world would never improve by such weak knee lame attitude's.Shall we just turn a blind eye to everything that is wrong because "it happens all over the world" (It does not by the way)

And because 'thing's just stay the same" ( wrong again, I have hope at least, thing's are improving)

Some people,like myself are not prepared to pay and neither to walk away ( and so far I have seen everything I wanted to see,including the taj-mahal, and all for free! Although I was once arrested and detained! well worth it!)

We should try to think a little better than this pathetic attitude and stand up for thing's we all know are plaining wrong. For, I should add, the benifit of all.

I don't think we should turn a blind eye to everything that is wrong with the rest of the world, only Thailand because this loony place makes up for its wrongs with a whole lot of rights. I break even every day, that is right vs wrong. But then I like riding my motorcycle the wrong way or a one way street. :jap:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On average, over the years how much money have people been cheated out of by Thai's?........I would think very little.

Better to expend energy toward the 'farang food' supermarkets, that have outrageous mark ups on goods from back home.

I don't get on ThaiVisa much these days but a few days back there was a thread on tipping (do you and how much?) now this one on double pricing (ok or not?). I guess it must soon be time for "Farang, is it an insult or not?".

Double pricing happens to varying extents all over the world, if you don't like it or are not prepared to pay the price walk away.

Well, thats a cop out answer if I ever heard one. The world would never improve by such weak knee lame attitude's.Shall we just turn a blind eye to everything that is wrong because "it happens all over the world" (It does not by the way)

And because 'thing's just stay the same" ( wrong again, I have hope at least, thing's are improving)

Some people,like myself are not prepared to pay and neither to walk away ( and so far I have seen everything I wanted to see,including the taj-mahal, and all for free! Although I was once arrested and detained! well worth it!)

We should try to think a little better than this pathetic attitude and stand up for thing's we all know are plaining wrong. For, I should add, the benifit of all.

I don't think we should turn a blind eye to everything that is wrong with the rest of the world, only Thailand because this loony place makes up for its wrongs with a whole lot of rights. I break even every day, that is right vs wrong. But then I like riding my motorcycle the wrong way or a one way street. :jap:

Have you killed or maimed anyone yet?

And perhaps gotten away with it, after paying 200B?

oh - sorry; i just realise you are being cynical.

Have you killed or maimed anyone yet?

And perhaps gotten away with it, after paying 200B?

oh - sorry; i just realise you are being cynical.

I did run into a soi dog. I don't think he could read the one way signs though. But he should have looked both ways before he tried to run out and bite me. All in all the trade offs between the first world crazyness and the Thai lawlessness put my vote in favor of the Thais. No shrinks here to speak of. I don't know that the psycho active drugs are better than no psycho active drugs. You sound like a civilized person and I am a dinosaur that drove a truck when I was 13 on the farm, made moonshine and rode a motorcycle without a helmet and they didn't have seatbelts in cars. I don't know how I have lived so long. I guess one of the reasons I moved to Thailand was to avoid progress. I am tired of progress actually. Don't worry, I'll be dead soon and all you PC, civilized people will be in charge. I have my remaining few years in Thailand doddering along on the wrong side of the road, I'm happy. :rolleyes:

I'm with you, buddy. If I wanted my life to be run by rules made by other people, I'd have stayed back home.

i am not with you buddies. I have never wanted to be killed by a freedom loving biker that drives on the wrong side of the street. I want to enjoy MY freedom for a few more years. And not in a wheelchair too.

I'm with you, buddy. If I wanted my life to be run by rules made by other people, I'd have stayed back home.

i am not with you buddies. I have never wanted to be killed by a freedom loving biker that drives on the wrong side of the street. I want to enjoy MY freedom for a few more years. And not in a wheelchair too.

I have a condo in the city and a house in the mountains. You are safe from me. My car and motorcycle are at the house in the mountains. No Farang live in the village in the mountains and I don't have a car or motorcycle in the city.

When I drive in the mountains the Pu yai gets on the loudspeaker and warns everyone, “Farang cap lote, aun ta li.” They call the dogs and children in the houses and they wave at me as I go by.

@ 'kropotkin'

Nope -- the more it makes sense. Health code inspectors are typically paid in licensure fees and fines --- but they protect the health of all people and mostly citizens. The restaurant is not government funded. Hospitals (in most places) charge foreigners even if basic health-care is free for citizens/residents. Etc etc etc ... public transport... hmmm I am not aware of any place that charges less for citizens than foreigners, most likely because creating two-tier pricing would cost more than it makes.

BTW ... making your post bold doesn't make it more correct ;) There aren't that many places that have two-tier prices officially in Thailand and feel free to deprive yourself of visiting some great National Parks etc if it bothers you so much. (Note you will find English signage and Western toilets in most of these places --- that your non-Thai user fees helped pay for.

(please do not change the contents of posts you quote --- respond in the area above or below the post --- It makes it look as if the person you quoted said what you are saying .. or emphasized things that only you are emphasizing)

The idea that the money goes towards park rangers doing a good job and nice toilets is nice. But so flawed.

So many parks in SE were founded, funded and run by westerners sad by locals turning a blind eye to so many issue's. The oran-utan is just one.

Elephant's is another.

The fact quite plainly is- it is wrong.Any sort of discrimination is.

Thailand will never shed it's 3rd world 'joke of a knock-shop corrupt country"until this nonsense all stop's.

Thai's know it is wrong that why it is a touchy issue. It is sensitive because of the shame attached to it.

I hope thai's choose to step out of the self imposed chain's.

I did some shopping at Emporium today. The salesperson encouraged me to apply for an M Privilege Card -- or whatever it's called -- and I'd get 5% off this purchase and all future purchases.

I pulled out my Thai ID to fill in the form and she said, oh no: foreigners only!

Another case of it going the other way quite often.

PS: when she said that, I conveniently pulled out my US drivers license and all was fine.

A short answer to the OP's question : No (except for some things like public education and public health) !

For me, it is totally unacceptable/very discriminatory for foreigners to pay more than locals (and, I mean this FOR ANY COUNTRY) for, say, entrance to parks, waterfalls, etc and for example for hotel rooms and air tickets.

Jem

Edited by JemJem

A short answer to the OP's question : No (except for some things like public education and public health) !

For me, it is totally unacceptable/very discriminatory for foreigners (in any country)to pay more than locals for, say, entrance to parks, waterfalls, etc and for example for hotel rooms and air tickets.

Jem

How do you feel about "foreigner only" discounts like I got at Emporium today? Saved me over 5,000 baht!

On average, over the years how much money have people been cheated out of by Thai's?........I would think very little.

Better to expend energy toward the 'farang food' supermarkets, that have outrageous mark ups on goods from back home.

I suggest you undercut them.

SC

For me, it is totally unacceptable/very discriminatory for foreigners (in any country)to pay more than locals for, say, entrance to parks, waterfalls, etc and for example for hotel rooms and air tickets.

Jem

How do you feel about "foreigner only" discounts like I got at Emporium today? Saved me over 5,000 baht!

or Eurail passes that can be bought at a LARGE discount overseas etc etc etc

It is discriminatory --- it just isn't wrong. He excludes public education and public health though ... hmmm things paid for by public funds? Like the signage at National parks in English .... or the western toilets etc etc etc ....

Jem

I am against that type of thing too :)

Jem

Jem

I am against that type of thing too :)

Jem

Yes, I'm sure you would have walked right out in a huff when offered a savings of 5,000 baht on your day's purchases! The nerve!

I have never argued the point, doesn't bother me in the scheme of things. I was surprised last week when we stopped at Namtok Phliu National Park - on highway south past Chanthaburi heading for Trat/Koh Chang, person a the counter asked if I had a Thai licence, pointing out that if I did then I could get cheaper entry.I do, so i did. Around here I can't think of anything else where different rates may apply.

I have never argued the point, doesn't bother me in the scheme of things. I was surprised last week when we stopped at Namtok Phliu National Park - on highway south past Chanthaburi heading for Trat/Koh Chang, person a the counter asked if I had a Thai licence, pointing out that if I did then I could get cheaper entry.I do, so i did. Around here I can't think of anything else where different rates may apply.

In the scheme of things --- I assume that tourists and retirees that haven't bothered to learn Thai appreciate the majority of the little things ... like being able to read a street sign (even if they mangle the pronunciation!) and that the fee for a great National Park is far less here than home ...

I did some shopping at Emporium today. The salesperson encouraged me to apply for an M Privilege Card -- or whatever it's called -- and I'd get 5% off this purchase and all future purchases.

I pulled out my Thai ID to fill in the form and she said, oh no: foreigners only!

PS: when she said that, I conveniently pulled out my US drivers license and all was fine.

You swing both ways?

:o

You swing both ways?

I do! And it has its advantages, I'm finding!

Great article by Mr. Vivek and I must say that he has convinced me that Double Pricing is indeed fair and total justifiable. Just a few comments to expound on my -and Mr. Viveks- beliefs:

1. Who ‘owns’ public attractions?

Well said and right to the point.

All of the public attractions that I have been to in the USA single out each and every foreigner and charge them at least 10 times the local price. The foreigners were duly warned before hand on signage in unreadable micro print. With respect to taxes, all of the foreign countries that I have had the pleasure to visit have refused to charge me tax, whether it be VAT, income, or other duties levied on goods or services. They have, albeit apoligetically, requested that I pay the "foreigner" price for public attractions.

2. Is this legitiment?

Absolutely! When you go to India -or any other country that you are not a citizen- you are under Indian law and well, when in Rome... Tough tomatoes if the author was Indian by birth, no pass port, no local price. Come to think of it, I've never met a foreigner that has become a naturalized citizen or permantent resident of say, the USA, UK, France, Germany... However, all asian nations give away citizenship for the mere asking. Its common knowledge that Europeans flock to Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, etc, etc and are immediately granted permanent resident status/citizenship, not to mention living expenses while they learn the local language at their host countries' expense.

Nope, the author won me over completely and I'm on board with double pricing now.

Cheers!

:D:D:D

Edited by Lancelot

You swing both ways?

I do! And it has its advantages, I'm finding!

Quite fun to walk both sides of the track, isn't it? ;)

The idea that the money goes towards park rangers doing a good job and nice toilets is nice. But so flawed.

So many parks in SE were founded, funded and run by westerners sad by locals turning a blind eye to so many issue's. The oran-utan is just one.

Elephant's is another.

Thailand will never shed it's 3rd world 'joke of a knock-shop corrupt country"until this nonsense all stop's.

Thai's know it is wrong that why it is a touchy issue. It is sensitive because of the shame attached to it.

It is funny that people say it is 'wrong'.

Economics 101, stuff you learn in your first month of studying undergraduate economics- best way to profit maximise is to price discriminate. In the west, this takes the form of

- Children: cheaper prices

- Adults: Full price

- Old age/pensioners/concession card holders: discounted price

You charge people to the limits of what they can afford, all for the same service no less!

Companies do it all the time. The same product (camera's, computers etc) are much cheaper in Asia than they are in say, Australia. Why? Cause Australians will pay the higher price for it.

In Thailand charging foreigners (not based on race, but residency) is a blunt form of this. As others have pointed out, it works in reverse - foreigners get the cheaper price.

If it was racially based, then there would be no way that my blond haired, blue eyed children, who also happen to be Thai citizens, would get the Thai price. But they do. Cause they can.

Elephant's is another.

It is funny that people say it is 'wrong'.

Economics 101, stuff you learn in your first month of studying undergraduate economics- best way to profit maximise is to price discriminate. In the west, this takes the form of

- Children: cheaper prices

- Adults: Full price

- Old age/pensioners/concession card holders: discounted price

You charge people to the limits of what they can afford, all for the same service no less!

Companies do it all the time. The same product (camera's, computers etc) are much cheaper in Asia than they are in say, Australia. Why? Cause Australians will pay the higher price for it.

In Thailand charging foreigners (not based on race, but residency) is a blunt form of this. As others have pointed out, it works in reverse - foreigners get the cheaper price.

If it was racially based, then there would be no way that my blond haired, blue eyed children, who also happen to be Thai citizens, would get the Thai price. But they do. Cause they can.

I got no problem with things based on residency and i must say with my Thai DL. the only problem was (before) the fishing place i frequented but they changed. So now i have no problems and if i have to pay extra for a nature park i have no problems with it. But last time i paid Thai price while my friend from Holland who was on a holiday paid foreign price.

But if it was just skin color i would object and would not go there. You can always vote with your feet.

Some of your arguments are flawed though or not totally good they do contain some truth. Its not only that Australians can afford more its also that the cost of selling things there is more expensive as it is here. Hence the higher prices.

Some of your arguments are flawed though or not totally good they do contain some truth. Its not only that Australians can afford more its also that the cost of selling things there is more expensive as it is here. Hence the higher prices.

I see your point - perhaps I shouldn't have only compared Asia. Many products in Australia these days are higher than in the UK, EU and N.America. Most people shop online these days to get the cheaper stuff from overseas.

Point remains the same though, it is price discrimination which drives these things, you charge what you can for varying categories of customer. It isn't perfect (otherwise you'd charge each individual a different price in an economists perfect world - kinda like many markets in Asia!) but is more efficient for a business to charge differing rates, rather than just a flat rate.

A profane post in overly large font (shouting) has been removed.

You would do well on the village loudspeaker system :D

What's the point in announcing the removal of a post which nobody can read anyway after it's removal :lol:

What's the point in announcing the removal of a post which nobody can read anyway after it's removal :lol:

Perhaps in the hopes that the person that made that post ceases in posting in a similar manner in future postings. ;)

Perhaps in the hopes that the person that made that post ceases in posting in a similar manner in future postings. ;)

One can only wish.

I was listening to Joe’s Garage by Frank Zappa and your post brought up visions of the Central scrutiniser. :)

Anyway back to double pricing.

To prevent the shouting obscene poster from assuming the post was accidentally lost, and posting it again.

I imagine we will all be going on a short holiday for talking about avoiding excess

SC