Ed Visa - 3 Year Limit

Hello all,

I have read here and there that the ED visa can be extended for a maximum of 3 years. However, I see some schools offering 10 year-long stays, or even unlimited ones... Maybe these are scams, but a question comes to mind nonetheless:

An ED visa is valid for up to 3 years, but I take it this is for ONE visa? So is it possible to stay on visa 1 for 3 years, and then to apply for a second ED visa, which would also be valid for 3 years? And so on?

Would that require changing schools?

Thanks for your pointers!

The visa they are talking about is only valid for one 90 day stay. After that you obtain 90 day extensions of stay using proof of attendance/learning. Believe for same study it may be limited to 3 years total doing this so might require a change to do longer.

I believe that the 90 day status only applies to the Thai language schools. If you are registered in a proper university / degree program, you can get annual extensions for as long as you stay enrolled and of course, attend the lessons. I did 4 year bachelor program from 2005 to 2009 and got annual extensions every year with the right paperwork from the uni.

Lopburi - naturally I defer to your superior knowledge as the go-to guy on visa matters... maybe things have changed since I did it?

The post was about the 3/10 year advertising of the part time language schools in my reading and tried to answer that - yes a one year extension of stay can be obtained for some formal school study but there is no such thing as a three year visa. It is still an extension of stay.

Thanks for your replies.

I am indeed enrolled in a Thai language school now and yes, I have an ED visa, single entry. I just went to Immigration to have my stay extended after the initial 90 day period, so I take it that I can get extensions on this visa for up to 3 years, provided, of course, that I keep my enrolment in that school.

My question was more concerning what happens after this 3 year period. Can I get another ED visa? Enrolling at the same school? Or a different one?

My plan is to be sufficiently proficient in Thai to be able to do the translation/interpretation program at Chula, and I doubt I will reach near native proficiency in just 3 years of studies in a language school. I will be fluent in the language, in lay man's terms, but probably not to a translator/interpreter level. Hence, my dilemma about continuing studying after this 3 year period.

Or maybe I could pass the P6 government exam and that would be enough to enrol in a University program taught in Thai? Say, a BA in Thai studies or something related, that would allow me to both deepen my knowledge of the language and the culture, and get a visa at the same time? And then, I could do the translation MA?

Any takes?

A reminder of forum rules to our members who seem to have cherry picked the ones they choose to follow:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

11) Our contracts with our advertisers prohibit comments with regard to advertisements which appear on our forums. Such comments should not be posted and will be removed. Discussion of software or other methods to block advertisements is not allowed.

Keep it on topic and cease the attacks.