Malaria

phuketpaddy

Hi,

Whats the story with malaria. Does anyone bother taking anti malaria tablets or do you just take a chance. When i was in Chiang Mai last time i got bit all over but never took any anti malaria tablets because i was drinking most of time and heard that they dont mix well. Does anyone know if they give you any weird or bad side effects??

My doctor says to take them a week before i go and for 1 month after, but said not to mix them with alcohol, or maybe he meant take them for 1 week before i go, then dont take any out there and after i come back, start taking them again. Can this be done whats everyone elses experience???? Is it rare to get Malayria or is it common enough??

I will be staying in Chiang Mai will this increase the chances of catching it??

Chiang Mai, you will be fine without them.  I think malaria tablets are only needed in the very rural parts of Thailand, and personally even then I would not bother.

I agree...

You are better off taking steps to prevent being bitten.. i.e repellant, covering up in the evening etc...

totster :o

Yeah, from what i hear its going to be very cold in November in Chiang Mai, so i might have to cover up anyway. How cold does it get usually?? A thai friend told me this but what they think is cold and what i think is cold are two different things?

Cheers

Well its not exactly snow boots and a wooly hat but it does get a little cool up there at night. For you as a visitor to Thailand I wouldn't expect you to notice it much as everywheres gonna seem hot to you.

T-shirt weather really, if you're worried then pack a light jumper or something or alternatively, a warming whiskey will do. :o

No worries about malaria. Malaria comes from Myanmar. The flies cant fly very long. Even Chiang Rai city does not get malaria.

I dont know where you come from in the world and what weather you are usually used to. I would say a couple of easy going sweaters would be more than enough. Buying clothes in Thailand is a really good bargain.

Dont worry about anything, you will be fine.

Chiang Mai, you will be fine without them.  I think malaria tablets are only needed in the very rural parts of Thailand, and personally even then I would not bother.

I agree...

You are better off taking steps to prevent being bitten.. i.e repellant, covering up in the evening etc...

totster :o

Yeah, from what i hear its going to be very cold in November in Chiang Mai, so i might have to cover up anyway. How cold does it get usually?? A thai friend told me this but what they think is cold and what i think is cold are two different things?

Cheers

December, January and February are historically the coldest months in CM. It may get down as low as about 17 at night time in November, but daytime temps will still be up there.

Edited by jackr

No worries about malaria. Malaria comes from Myanmar. The flies cant fly very long. Even Chiang Rai city does not get malaria.

I dont know where you come from in the world and what weather you are usually used to. I would say a couple of easy going sweaters would be more than enough. Buying clothes in Thailand is a really good bargain.

Dont worry about anything, you will be fine.

Are you sure about this Potter?

this guy has posted this on a few boards including barladies. Malaria is not sexually transmitted. I've never owned a jacket here. Bring your own rubbers. People don't believe me when I say the ones here are small. But then they discover the hard way, or maybe the flaccid way.

If you live in Thailand adopt the policy of the Thai Army.

No tablets. If you have a high fever for more than 24 hours go to the hospital.

They are equipped to diagnose and treat you.

Most anti-malaria tablets are toxic and can cause more harm than they do good.

If you are just a visitor, it is a little bit more difficult.

Malaria symptoms do not always manifest immediately, and I am not sure

I would trust a European, or American doctor to be on the ball to diagnose

Malaria once you get home ..................