Can I Bring In Fruit In My Luggage ?

Latindancer

Some countries are very strict about bring in fruit through Immigration....eg. Australia.

I am wondering what will happen if I bring in a bag of avocados from Australia, and declare them as I go through Immigration at Suvarnabhumi. Any experiences, anyone ?

there shouldnt be a problem, but they will probably search you after seeing them in your suitcase, and cut them up looking for drugs !, not worth the hassle

First of all I am not saying you are wrong, however I find the idea of trafficking drugs in unpealed fruit a little strange. Have there been cases of this before?.

there shouldnt be a problem, but they will probably search you after seeing them in your suitcase, and cut them up looking for drugs !, not worth the hassle

First of all I am not saying you are wrong, however I find the idea of trafficking drugs in unpealed fruit a little strange. Have there been cases of this before?.

unpealed fruit a little strange

and thats why customs are always on the look out, esp avocado's which can easily be bought here.....

why would some one want to smuggle or bring fruit into a country like Thailand..

where they not only have every fruit you can imagine and fruit you will not find in your local supermarket back home.!!

and thats why customs are always on the look out, esp avocado's which can easily be bought here.....

Avacados I've seen here are small and expensive. I can understand wanting to bring some in, especially if you have your own tree at home.

It might help if you say they're from your own tree and want to bring them in as a gift to your hosts or Thai family. The worst that can happen is that they'll take the fruit (and probably bring it home to their family).

Just don't bring in so much that it looks like you're going to set up a stall in the town market.

I agree, we can buy avacados here, but they're just not the same as some good Texas or California fruit.

Edited by NancyL

Doesn't ring a bell with me either :ph34r:

Flew in last week with 2 bags weighting 50kgs.

Had 3 kgs peers (Gf loves them, they are all eaten now) together with some French cheese, Spanish ham (Serrano), quality jams and lots more arooi farang stuff.

Walked through customs as usual..

Avacados I've seen here are small and expensive. I can understand wanting to bring some in, especially if you have your own tree at home.

If your budget is that tight, where avocado's could be a make or break decision on your trip, stay home...

Flew in last week with 2 bags weighting 50kgs.

Had 3 kgs peers (Gf loves them, they are all eaten now) together with some French cheese, Spanish ham (Serrano), quality jams and lots more arooi farang stuff.

Walked through customs as usual..

Pressuming some of the weight is clothes, etc.

Still, walking through with 40-50 Kg with food items, surely will be classified as smuggling if stopped, with the risk of not only a big fine, but prison sentence as well.

No?

Anyone?