Pheu Thai Maintains Lead In Bangkok

webfact

They'll all probably get work as hod carriers in his latest vision for Thailand.

So you avoid the issues, and simply demonstrate a contempt for the Thai people.And that in a nutshell is why the elite is doomed.

Reminds me of Hitler's comment in the Berlin bunker as the Red Army approached, "The German people didn't deserve me"

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They'll all probably get work as hod carriers in his latest vision for Thailand.

So you avoid the issues, and simply demonstrate a contempt for the Thai people.And that in a nutshell is why the elite is doomed.

Reminds me of Hitler's comment in the Berlin bunker as the Red Army approached, "The German people didn't deserve me"

You couldn't be more wrong. If you didn't have your head so far up Thaksin's ass these many years you'd know I am a supporter of the vast majority of people who identify themselves as Red Shirts. It is Thaksin and his deplorable tactics i loathe.

This seems to be the kind of reform you espouse:

STUDENTS EXCITED OVER PM'S OVERNIGHT STAY AT THEIR SCHOOL.

Students of the Ban Ho Ra (บ้านโหรา) in At Samart (อาจสามารถ) district expressed their excitement yesterday, as the Prime Minister was staying overnight at their school.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat and his delegates stayed overnight at the Ban Hora (บ้านโหรา) school in Ho Ra (โหรา) district last night in tents prepared by military officers in the school lawn. Prime Minister Thaksin greeted students as soon as he arrived at Ban Hora (บ้านโหรา) school. Students and teachers at the school were thrilled that the premier was spending the night there, and asked him to help with constructing new buildings, a library, and education materials. After learning that the students lack uniforms and shoes, the premier gave 50,000 to the school director to purchase 2 uniforms, socks and shoes for each student.

The Prime Minister is scheduled teach students at the school this morning, while foreign ambassadors will come to observe the premier’s poverty-eradication campaign.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 January 2006

This is the kind I find of more tangible benefit to all the people of Thailand, not just some local grovellers :

The Abhisit government approved a huge subsidy covering 15 years of free schooling. It applies to free textbooks, uniforms and other learning materials.

Give fish / teach to fish, get it?

Reminds me of the Thaksin quote "I'm not interested in democracy'. Mind you a personal slight on a member here and linking that to 'why the elite is doomed' doesn't sound real logical to me. Unless dear member lannarebirhth has indicated he's part of the Thai elite, or at least that part which you think is doomed. BTW which part would that be, even the elite in Thailand is spread over the political and colour spectrum <_<

If you didn't have your head so far up Thaksin's ass these many years you'd know I am a supporter of the vast majority of people who identify themselves as Red Shirts. It is Thaksin and his deplorable tactics i loathe.

You start off with an insult (actually a rather foolish one if you check my record) and add an irrelevant anecdote.Is that meant to be a response?

But unwittingly you also confirm my assertion.The Thai people have an awkward way of not fitting into foreigners' stereotypes and preconceived expectations, and this will shortly be demonstrated - I suspect rather dramatically.

Reminds me of the Thaksin quote "I'm not interested in democracy'. Mind you a personal slight on a member here and linking that to 'why the elite is doomed' doesn't sound real logical to me. Unless dear member lannarebirhth has indicated he's part of the Thai elite, or at least that part which you think is doomed. BTW which part would that be, even the elite in Thailand is spread over the political and colour spectrum <_<

In the long term as Thailand (assuming it remains committed to democracy and the market system of economics) will become more like a normal country in which feudalists, the military, and corporate vested interests will have their wings clipped (or removed).Think Japan, South Korea.In that context the current elite is doomed.To be fair it could adapt and reform, and thus preserve its existence but it shows no signs of doing so.

In the long term as Thailand (assuming it remains committed to democracy and the market system of economics) will become more like a normal country in which feudalists, the military, and corporate vested interests will have their wings clipped (or removed).Think Japan, South Korea.In that context the current elite is doomed.To be fair it could adapt and reform, and thus preserve its existence but it shows no signs of doing so.

Would that include large companies owned by PMs?

It would include all companies relying on monopolies,corruption and hostile to international competition.It would also include those companies and high net worth individuals avoiding tax.

Edited by jayboy

Openly expressing symphaty for a convicted, on-the-run criminal would really cause question marks in the West. Family hunted, call your boss and colleagues? Does this also refer to those UDD leaders who told their supporters to burn the place and got bailed out? How many red-shirts are imprisioned? How many UDD protests over the last months showed k. Thaksin picture and how many got arrested, prosecuted?

Please note that the west never recognized any of Thaksin politically motivated convictions.

Thaksin is allowed to travel everywhere he wants but not allowed to conduct political activities. Thaksin has recently been seen in a number of European countries, he is not banned from anywhere, just not allowed to conduct political activities from there. You're just one more victim of the current propaganda.

Regarding the facebook witch hunt, "family hunted, call your boss and colleagues", it just refers to ordinary people. Are you involved in any Thai facebook group ? I don't think so.

The West recognized k. Thaksin as one of those corrupt Asian leaders who never seem to have enough. The West recognizes that a certain political bias may have played in the only conviction till now, although the West also recognizes that a PM should be held to higher standards as 'face' of a country.

A few countries in the West have openly stated that k. Thaksin is not welcome, but if he travels on a foreign diplomatic passport, or a passport from a country not requiring a visa, to bar him from entering a country may be legally difficult. K. Thaksin has been avoiding the USA for some reason or another ;)

Are you involved in Thai facebook groups? I've seen some, to be avoided. Actually personally I think facebook is to be avoided all together unless you like Weiner and other fools. As for 'just refers to ordinary people', you mean the vocal UDD variety, those who had the opportunity to improve themselves in UDD provided 'red-shirt ideology' schools?

It would include all companies relying on monopolies,corruption and hostile to international competition.It would also include those companies and high net worth individuals avoiding tax.

It seems you favor just a substitution of elites. CP, Sudarat, Thaksin for ? If you're talking about the amart bureauocracy than I'd agree with you, but that takes broadbased education to remove unless you're looking for a peasants revolution which don't tend to fare too well historically.

You don't need to remind me that the Thai public is neither interested nor aware of what you, I or anyone else on this forum says.Actually the forum isn't really representative even of the expatriate community.That's not my point.

No that wasn't your point, but neither was what you followed it up with.

Your point was that my description of just how much of a knife's edge the capital was at last year was "piffle" and that you believe the Thai people will share that view and that will be proved by Bangkokians voting for PTP.

And my response to that was just because someone might vote for PTP, doesn't necessarily mean they don't agree that Bangkok was on the brink last year. It was - in my opinion. If you disagree, perhaps that's because you didn't have the "benefit" of being here?

As to your other points:

Leaving the forum views on one side for a moment, there has been a sustained propaganda campaign against the redshirts begiginning with the PAD's racist rhetoric, accusations that they only turn out for pay, they are stupid and uneducated, they are closet republicans etc etc and that the political party affiliated with them is corrupt, incompetent and simply a tool of Thaksin.

We will shortly find out what the Thai people think.It's all very well to say it's all very complicated understanding voter choice but against this the military cheerleaders will need to explain themselves, given their campaign of hatred and vitriol, if the Thai people shrug their shoulders and choose PTP nonetheless.

Propaganda has being flying around from all sides. Some people suck it up, others ignore it. What's new?

As for Thai people shrugging their shoulders and choosing PTP, inspite of both the unfair negative criticism and the fair, well then, that will tell us two things - one that they have been able to ignore unfair negative criticism as propaganda, and two, that the fair and justified negative criticism they also either ignore, don't believe or don't think is important.

Anyway, perhaps we should wait until the people have spoken first before trying to dissect it all?

Your point was that my description of just how much of a knife's edge the capital was at last year was "piffle" and that you believe the Thai people will share that view and that will be proved by Bangkokians voting for PTP.

And my response to that was just because someone might vote for PTP, doesn't necessarily mean they don't agree that Bangkok was on the brink last year. It was - in my opinion.

If that was really your point I don't really have a problem with it.

And my response to that was just because someone might vote for PTP, doesn't necessarily mean they don't agree that Bangkok was on the brink last year. It was - in my opinion.

If that was really your point I don't really have a problem with it.

Yes, that really was my point, and i'm baffled as to how you managed to read it another way. Perhaps you might share what point it was you thought i was making. Be interested to know....

The West recognized k. Thaksin as one of those corrupt Asian leaders who never seem to have enough. The West recognizes that a certain political bias may have played in the only conviction till now, although the West also recognizes that a PM should be held to higher standards as 'face' of a country.

What like Clinton was held higher in the 'face' of Monica?...........yep amazingly high standards for western leaders.......:)

What like Clinton was held higher in the 'face' of Monica?...........yep amazingly high standards for western leaders.......:)

If you can't be serious, don't post irrelevant issues. Clinton was censured, Berluscuni is being prosecuted. Bill paid taxes, even on the book(s) he wrote. Thaksin made 'honest' mistakes reporting his wealth, he pushed through laws to profit him and his family/associates, lawsuits to muzzle the press, etc., etc. Showing your pecker in private is peanuts compared with Thaksin's crime(s).

not if Taksin gets his way then it will become more like north korea Burma Zimbabwie or if Thailand's lucky only like Philippines under the hsoe lady and her husband

You're right, Khun Chuwit may be the right choice for the sexpats.

What the hell?

I am pretty sure that that group of people cannot vote.

And I know of several Thai's that talk about voting for Chuwit...

Openly expressing symphaty for a convicted, on-the-run criminal would really cause question marks in the West. Family hunted, call your boss and colleagues? Does this also refer to those UDD leaders who told their supporters to burn the place and got bailed out? How many red-shirts are imprisioned? How many UDD protests over the last months showed k. Thaksin picture and how many got arrested, prosecuted?

Please note that the west never recognized any of Thaksin politically motivated convictions.

Thaksin is allowed to travel everywhere he wants but not allowed to conduct political activities. Thaksin has recently been seen in a number of European countries, he is not banned from anywhere, just not allowed to conduct political activities from there. You're just one more victim of the current propaganda.

Regarding the facebook witch hunt, "family hunted, call your boss and colleagues", it just refers to ordinary people. Are you involved in any Thai facebook group ? I don't think so.

Please note that the poster above is stating knowingly false info.

Please note that political propaganda doesn't count as fact

Here I completely agree, dear Jurgen. The problem though is that political propaganda is often phrased as fact and it takes some time to find those items of truth buried in a heap of BS.

<br />I imagine that most of the members of this forum are foreign expats living in Thailand. Does it matter to any of you as to who the PM or ruling party is and why? Serious question as I'm planning to retire here very shortly. Tks<br />
<br /><br /><br />

IMHO, it really wouldn't make much difference in your day to day life who the PM is or who the ruling party (or coalition) is. However, if PT does win or put together a coalition, they will probably do their best to bring Thaksin back. This move could very well trigger something that would look a lot like a civil war... which probably would matter to us expats!

exactly I guarantee if Mr T comes back their will be civil war and if he does not the reds will again try and cause havoc only this time they may not be alloyed to go around with guns grenades and mobs attempting to burn burn burn The only hope for Thailand if he comes back is another coup which I for one would support 100% if it meant not letting a bunch of total thugs take over the country and I will probably also leave with my Thai wife and children. I have already stopped bringing any more into this country and will slowly sell our assets here except the house which amount to around 100 million baht. I know lots of others who are waiting to see. Where to move to thats problem. Forget Cambodia or Vietnam maybe Laos or Singapore

There may be some yellow uprisings when the Reds win the election but all out civil war? No. Having the army run a country is not a good idea no matter where you are in the world. Wait till after the election and your house price could double with a falling baht. As for Cambodia, I found it to be quite good the same as Laos

A few countries in the West have openly stated that k. Thaksin is not welcome, but if he travels on a foreign diplomatic passport, or a passport from a country not requiring a visa, to bar him from entering a country may be legally difficult. K. Thaksin has been avoiding the USA for some reason or another ;)

Are you involved in Thai facebook groups? I've seen some, to be avoided. Actually personally I think facebook is to be avoided all together unless you like Weiner and other fools. As for 'just refers to ordinary people', you mean the vocal UDD variety, those who had the opportunity to improve themselves in UDD provided 'red-shirt ideology' schools?

Which countries in the West have " openly stated that k. Thaksin is not welcome"?

Which countries in the West have " openly stated that k. Thaksin is not welcome"?

England, Germany and (not west, but) Japan.