Getting New Brit Passport In The Uk!

Got a mate in the UK for a week or two on holiday. He's got a work permit, extended Visa, re-entry permit.....so if he gets a new passport there what does he need to do exactly so he doesn't lose it all?

Thanks in advance you lovely people you!

Edited by kenkannif

I would get the new passport in Bangkok like a normal expat and then have extension transferred. As this is not a function of Embassy there is nothing he can do outside of Thailand that I know. I would not chance immigration being able to work this out at an entry point.

I would get the new passport in Bangkok like a normal expat and then have extension transferred.  As this is not a function of Embassy there is nothing he can do outside of Thailand that I know.  I would not chance immigration being able to work this out at an entry point.

This is exactly my situation. I want to go to England for a week and my passport expires next year. I've decided to get a new passport in Bangkok before I go to England, as I don't know what can be done in England at the Thai Embassy regarding transferring visas, permits and stamps. But I do know that everything can be done in Thailand at any major immigration department (for free, supposedly).

The only downer to all this is having to go to Bangkok and waiting 10 days for the UK Embassy to produce a new passport. But I suppose I'll find something to do to while away the time.

Surely he can get a new passport in the Uk and then when he comes back to Thailand he can tranfer from the old one.

Go to the Thai embassy in UK to transfer the visa.

WP wait til he gets back in Thailand.

On second thoughts, get it all done here.

He is not in Thailand on a visa but an extension of stay - which is not a function of an Embassy. I seriously doubt that it can be transferred outside of Thailand and advise as I did above to not take the chance for no good reason.

Surely he can get a new passport in the Uk and then when he comes back to Thailand he can transfer from the old one.

Go to the Thai embassy in UK to transfer the visa.

WP wait til he gets back in Thailand.

On second thoughts, get it all done here.

Thanks for your decisive post, mate! :o

He is not in Thailand on a visa but an extension of stay - which is not a function of an Embassy.  I seriously doubt that it can be transferred outside of Thailand and advise as I did above to not take the chance for no good reason.

Absolutely. How can he get back into the country if his new passport has no re-entry stamp or extension of stay permit. And he can't use the old one - it'll have been cancelled.

Must get those stamps transferred in Thailand, so get the new passport in Thailand. Not worth the risk to try anything else.