When Selling A Car Do You Have To

I am hoping to sell my car shortly, but I have been told that I will have to return to the city in which it was first registered to do all the paperwork with the person that buys it. I live in Pattaya but my wife says the car was registered in Bangkok. When we bought it from the garage they told us this and we had to wait a week or so whilst one of their employees sorted it in Bangkok. However the guy that wants the car seems to think it is not necessary.

Any ideas?

I don't know about any new rules but about 2 years ago i purchased a Bangkok registered car and what a pain in the a.. that was, and i did have to go with the seller to Bangkok to sort out the paperwork, and as far as i remember there was also a problem with the residency certificate being issued by Chonburi immigration and not Bangkok.

Of course being Thailand there are always middle men who can take care of the hassle for you at a price, any of the pattaya car dealers will probably be able to help

I don't know about any new rules but about 2 years ago i purchased a Bangkok registered car and what a pain in the a.. that was, and i did have to go with the seller to Bangkok to sort out the paperwork, and as far as i remember there was also a problem with the residency certificate being issued by Chonburi immigration and not Bangkok.

Of course being Thailand there are always middle men who can take care of the hassle for you at a price, any of the pattaya car dealers will probably be able to help

you actually didnt have to go to bkk, by contacting your local DLT all docs could have been transfred there from BKK, takes up to 7 days, been like this for decades

you actually didnt have to go to bkk, by contacting your local DLT all docs could have been transfred there from BKK, takes up to 7 days, been like this for decades

Yep, just did this. Car moved from Korat to BKK. The DLT on Phahonyothin is a madhouse, though.

Had to "move" the car first, takes 3 days, then apply for new book and plates. You get a new number.

So to clarify the situation, you need to apply for a new book and plates at your local DLT? otherwise you would have to go to the DLT where the vehicle is registered to change ownership?

registered owners adress/province is where vehicle is registered.

transfer of ownership can be done at this DLT or in your local DLT. Your local DLT has to be approached twice, apply for transfer of docs, when arrived apply for transfer of ownership

Transfering to new Province, new book is usually not issued, just update old book. New rules, some DLT allow to keep old reg plates if desired