Query About British Birth Certificate

Hi,

I have a query about my son's British birth certificate.

I registred my son's birth at the Brtish embassy Bangkok and got the consul paper to say he is registered in the Uk. I also got his Thai birth certificate so this side is all in order.

I just phoned the British embassy in Bangkok and asked them if it was possible for me to get my son's birth cerificate when I am in the Uk. They told me that I could not because he wasn't born in the Uk and the consul certificate could be used as a reference for anything that occers in the future as it is used in the Uk and other commonweatlth countries. I just persumed he would be able to get a Brtish birth certificate from the UK.

Can anyone tell me if Is this information correct?

cheers,

JJP

You can register the birth also with the registar in the UK, so you can indeed get a birth certificate in the UK if needed. But most don't consider it worth the costs.

Mario,

I am a little confused then. Forgive me if I am wrong.

As I typed in my previous mail I have already registered the birth at the consulur section in Bangkok and they have forwared it to London to be registered.

Your reply implies that I can get a British Birth cert in the UK then? If I go to the local register in the Uk which in my case would be Manchester and get them to check with London, they would give me a British Birth cert?

Thanks,

JJP

Have you read the link provided by theoldgit?

You have three choices:-

1) Register the birth at the British embassy in Bangkok.

2) Register the birth at the FCO in London.

3) Do neither.

Options 1) and 2) will give you a consular birth registration certificate for the child and their birth will be on record at the GRO in the UK. That's all.

Option 3) will save yo the fee for options 1) or 2); and wont affect your child's British nationality in any way. From theoldgit's link

Consular birth registrations do not confer British nationality and are not required to register your child as a British citizen or to apply for a British passport as British nationality is passed from parent to child. Your child will need to have an automatic claim to British nationality in order to register their birth.There is no requirement for a consular birth registration to be done for any birth that has occurred overseas. The original birth certificate issued by the authorities in the country in which the birth took place, along with a notarised translation if necessary, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK (including passport applications).

(My emphasis)

As the embassy told you, your child cannot get an actual British birth certificate as he was not born in the UK; but as you can see from the above quote; he doesn't need one

Have you read the link provided by theoldgit?

You have three choices:-

1) Register the birth at the British embassy in Bangkok.

2) Register the birth at the FCO in London.

3) Do neither.

Options 1) and 2) will give you a consular birth registration certificate for the child and their birth will be on record at the GRO in the UK. That's all.

Option 3) will save yo the fee for options 1) or 2); and wont affect your child's British nationality in any way. From theoldgit's link

Consular birth registrations do not confer British nationality and are not required to register your child as a British citizen or to apply for a British passport as British nationality is passed from parent to child. Your child will need to have an automatic claim to British nationality in order to register their birth.There is no requirement for a consular birth registration to be done for any birth that has occurred overseas. The original birth certificate issued by the authorities in the country in which the birth took place, along with a notarised translation if necessary, is sufficient for all purposes in the UK (including passport applications).

(My emphasis)

As the embassy told you, your child cannot get an actual British birth certificate as he was not born in the UK; but as you can see from the above quote; he doesn't need one

Ok sorted.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

JJP

Am i missing something here?

Born in Thailand = Thai birth certificate :blink::blink::blink:

So is he British or Thai , i thought where you are born thats your Nationality.:(

No. It depends on the law of the countries of the mother, the father and where you were born. They all have their own little rules about nationality. Some countries don't allow dual nationality, or only in certain circumstances, some countries give nationality if you are born on their soil, others not.

In this case the child has Thai and British nationality becuase of the parents.

The child is Thai only if 1) the mother or father is Thai, or 2) both mother and father have permanent resident status at the time of the child's birth. The OP doesn't actually state the nationality of the mother.

The child is Thai only if 1) the mother or father is Thai, or 2) both mother and father have permanent resident status at the time of the child's birth. The OP doesn't actually state the nationality of the mother.

You are absolutly right. I jumped to conclusions here.