Translating A Magazine Cover

davejonesbkk

I was just in the 7-11 and saw some magazine with Abhisit on the front, Im not sure but I think it said:

'Wee cha tee Oxford mai dai sorn'

Is this something about him not teaching at Oxford Uni or have I read/understood it wrong? Anyone else seen this?

It means, I assume, something like "The things they didn't teach at Oxford". I haven't seen the article. It's likely dealing with the incredibly complex and multi-level political games that are being played here with particular intensity right now.

วิชา is subject or course (always in context about teaching/learning)

so a more direct translation would be "Subject(s) Oxford didn't teach".

(hmm one of the few times that words could actually be almost directly translated and in the same order as well)

Edited by Mole

If I was translating this colloquially, I would write: "What Oxford didn't teach him.."

The implication being that Oxford is a university which emphasizes logic, straightforwardness and knowledge, but has little in common with the murky and oblique world of Thai politics.

If I was translating this colloquially, I would write: "What Oxford didn't teach him.."

The implication being that Oxford is a university which emphasizes logic, straightforwardness and knowledge, but has little in common with the murky and oblique world of Thai politics.

In agreement, but for a different reason.

If we remove the image and just have the writing I would translate as others, subjects Oxford didnt teach.

However the image is a clear reference to Abhisit.