Flights Bkk-shanghai Rt

DaMan

Hi, has anybody flown bkk to shanghai recently? Can this flight be booked rather easily at the airport? What type of fare did you get? I am looking for something cheap, so some sample fares would be great. Also, has anyone applied for chinese visa in bkk or chiang mai? How much for the visa and was this reasonably easy to do? Sorry for all the questions (I did do a search but am looking for recent info), all answers much appreciated.........

Not sure how recent you need:

I went to Shanghai in June from Bangkok via Air India. It cost BAHT 8400 but I booked through a travel agent (Majestic 026522000). It was about half the rate that Thai or China Eastern were charging. The flight comes in from India. It's ok - well, a bit grotty inside but you get what you pay for! The way back they anticipated a 5 hour delay, then put us on the China Eastern flight instead.

I believe you can get a visa at the Chinese embassy in BKK, but I've not done it before...sorry.

Unlike 5 years ago, mainland China welcomes individual visitors, and the Chinese embassy in BKK processes visa quickly - but not cheap at all. Having a condo in BKK, and a job in Shanghai, I've used China Eastern (which flies non-stop). I used Dynasty travel (located in the Ambassador hotel), and got a great fare. Taxis in SH are plentiful and cheap - though not as cheap as BKK. As an alternative, you can take the MagLev train, or bus, to the Metro #2. The Metro systems will get you nearly anywere you want to go in SH, for a maximum of 5RMB (about 75 cents US). You can purchase stored value cards at any metro station.

went there this march.

Air India, Bht 5.900,00 (due to increased fuel surcharge might be more expensive nowadays).

Take a look at BangkokPost and compare prizes. That's what I did and -imho- 5.900,00 was a perfect deal. Reasonable service on board too. No delays at all.

regarding Shanghai arrival and MAGLEV train:

be aware to arrive DAYTIME (max 5 pm, i think) - otherwise Maglev has stopped its service and u r forced toavoid all those taxi hunter crap located around Pudong departure doors.

I flew Thai Airways in July - Bht 16,000.00 or thereabouts.

Visa cost Bht 900.00 - pick up two days later.

Bht 1,000.00 extra - pick up next day.

Same day service (apply morning, pick up afternoon) is extra again but I cannot remember how much.

Thanks for all the replies. Air india 5,900 round trip? That does sound reasonable. 16,000 on thai airways sounds quite high. About the visa, was it obtained in straight forward manner with minimal hassle? I am not sure about my travel dates but would hope to get a visa a week before i go, with out jumping thru hoops. Also appreciate the good advice on the maglev train.......

I loved the Maglev train - I think it's about 50 RMB oneway - and there may be a discount if you show your plane ticket. I loved watching the cars being left behind on the road parallel.

But if I remember correctly, the timing of the Air India flight wasn't good for taking the Maglev either way as above have said, Maglev shuts at about 5pm.