Plant Compatibility

Hi,

My friend and I are currently developing a sustainable homestead in the Mae Taeng are of northern Thailand. He has been there a year, has built mud and bamboo houses on the property, and is already seeing quite a bit of fertility on the land, none of which he has planted. I'm talking about the presence of banana and teak trees, which are sprouting up everywhere all the time.

We're in the process of designing a food forest of sorts, and I'm interested in knowing what kinds of food plants would be compatible and grow well with soil which produces these two trees so prolifically? From what I understand about some of these foresting techniques, there are approximately seven stories of planting levels, so I am interested in any suggestions about food bearing shrubs, plants that grow horizontally, etc. I'm sure with the level of expertise on this discussion board, I'll get some great suggestions..

I've really enjoyed reading the posts in this forum. Thanks for all of the great information!

A

Have you considered seedballs? Know of a guy named Masanobu Fukuoka? Google his name along with seedballs. If you don't already know, you might be interested.

I don't have time right now to get links but there's stuff all over the internet on seedballs and Masanobu Fukuoka.

Have you considered seedballs? Know of a guy named Masanobu Fukuoka? Google his name along with seedballs. If you don't already know, you might be interested.

I don't have time right now to get links but there's stuff all over the internet on seedballs and Masanobu Fukuoka.

Fascinating suggestion! We just started researching him, and find what we've discovered so far very interesting!

Thanks!

A

I use to plant pumpkin, watermelon, cucumber, and rabbit corn in my fruit orchard. All were easy to clean up by hand, when production finished. The soil was a sandy loam with mulch worked in under the trees and all of the vines really took off.