It’S Official, Carrefour Converted To Big-C

billaaa777

After being loyal Carrefour shoppers for going on seven years, we've stopped shopping at Big C Extra as the quality of food they sell is terrible.

Try finding fresh fruit or vegetables, even at Big C Extra - just about impossible. Plus, it's not just the farangs who aren't shopping there. At the one where I used to shop, it's noticeably much more dead than it was even a month ago.

The last time I was there, I was on my cell phone in the middle of the veggie department complaining to a friend about the disgusting quality of Big C vegetables. A Thai woman overheard me and stopped to say "You're absolutely correct. None of my friends shop here anymore and today will be my last visit".

Since Big C took over Carrefour in Thailand, prices are higher, quality is lower and at least 30% of the stuff I used to buy is no longer sold there.

I now split my shopping between Tesco (which I hate, but at least their prices are cheap and they have a good selection of packaged food), Foodland and my local bi-weekly vegetable market - with the occasional visit to Gourmet Market at Siam.

You couldn't PAY me to set foot in Big C again. They've taken a wonderful supermarket (Carrefour) and turned it into one of the worst supermarket chains in Thailand in less than three months. Takes talent, that.

And who the HELL told Big C that a bright, fluorescent GREEN was attractive. It's NASTY!!!

I haven't noticed big changes to the Pattaya Carrefour/Big C Extra as yet as the stuff I buy there is still the same, e.g., bread. However, time will tell.

It looks to me to be steadily getting worse. Here's some things I've noticed:

1. The fresh fish selection is a about half of what it used to be. The smaller specialty fish are gone.

2. The fruit and vegetable section is starting to look very rough with less selection and poor quality.

3. Price marking is dismal. It's quite a job finding prices on half the items in there.

4. The cooked food section has nearly stopped labeling anything in English.

5. Staff attitude has gone downhill since Carrefour days, and that's saying something because Carrefour staff weren't the friendliest.

Anyone agree?

Very nice bakery for a supermarket.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be as disgusted if I was shopping at a regular Big C, as they've always been grubby and nasty. But the Big C I was shopping at was a Big C Extra that supposedly, according to Big C, is targeted towards farangs and wealthier Thais. Well as most farangs I know and most high-so Thais (and I know a lot) won't set foot in there since the takeover, I think Big C Extra's days are numbered.

I've shopped in hypermarkets all over the world for 30 years and Big C has to be one of the worst megamarts I've ever shopped in. Cold day in hell before I ever set foot in there again.

Did have a lovely shop at Gourmet Market and Foodland this week though. Got all my regular stuff at Gourmet Market and my specialty items at Foodland. Add on a lovely meal at Took Lae Dee, and I think my supermarket habits are now set.

I wouldn't be as disgusted if I was shopping at a regular Big C, as they've always been grubby and nasty. But the Big C I was shopping at was a Big C Extra that supposedly, according to Big C, is targeted towards farangs and wealthier Thais. Well as most farangs I know and most high-so Thais (and I know a lot) won't set foot in there since the takeover, I think Big C Extra's days are numbered.

I've shopped in hypermarkets all over the world for 30 years and Big C has to be one of the worst megamarts I've ever shopped in. Cold day in hell before I ever set foot in there again.

Did have a lovely shop at Gourmet Market and Foodland this week though. Got all my regular stuff at Gourmet Market and my specialty items at Foodland. Add on a lovely meal at Took Lae Dee, and I think my supermarket habits are now set.

Perhaps if the management of Big-C Extra could read this thread about the dissatisfaction of Farang, their intended target, it could be of some benefit. Note use of the word "perhaps".

Big C Extra too "lo-so" for some, however, they love a feed at Took Lae Dee...do all your hi-so Thai mates join you there as well :lol:

Theirs no difference between Big C extra and Carrefour. Same products, different names.

Barry

You couldn't be more wrong. It's going downhill rapidly in many areas. Give it another 6 months and even you may notice a difference.

I would support any branch, shop which could supply me good quality French, Swiss, Italian, German cheese at reasonable prices!!! Am I demanding too much? Sigh....

There's not a bad selection of cheeses in Makro, although for some reaason they price them excluding VAT?

And Carrefour has a great selection of cheeses.

Don't know what you'd consider reasonable pricing though.

Foodland is my choice for Brie etc., best for European food..thumbsup.gif

Big C Extra was quieter than usual on saturday lunchtime, even downstairs in the foodcourt.

I don't know if it is the time of year or not, but at about 7pm this evening (Monday) I was the only person sitting in the coffee shop opposite the entrance to the supermarket. The one next to the DTac booth. It used to be a very busy coffee shop.

Big C Extra was quieter than usual on saturday lunchtime, even downstairs in the foodcourt.

I don't know if it is the time of year or not, but at about 7pm this evening (Monday) I was the only person sitting in the coffee shop opposite the entrance to the supermarket. The one next to the DTac booth. It used to be a very busy coffee shop.

I'm often in Carrefour in the mornings and that cafe is often full...not many people like to drink coffee at nite as it affects their sleep.

I'm often in Carrefour in the mornings and that cafe is often full...not many people like to drink coffee at nite as it affects their sleep.

LOL. Maybe that's why I never get to sleep until 3am.

LOL. Maybe that's why I never get to sleep until 3am.

Either that...or a frisky partner :lol:

Food prices are up around the world. Swiss muesli made in Switzerland? These days the Swiss Franc is a VERY hard currency, one that holds its value as others fade. That might have more to do with the price increase than changing the sign from Carrefour to Big C.

Food prices are up around the world. Swiss muesli made in Switzerland? These days the Swiss Franc is a VERY hard currency, one that holds its value as others fade. That might have more to do with the price increase than changing the sign from Carrefour to Big C.

In Makro Swiss muesli is 180 baht.Not to really bothered about price increases but will just stick with makro and foodland from now.

Big c is <deleted>

After being loyal Carrefour shoppers for going on seven years, we've stopped shopping at Big C Extra as the quality of food they sell is terrible.

Try finding fresh fruit or vegetables, even at Big C Extra - just about impossible. Plus, it's not just the farangs who aren't shopping there. At the one where I used to shop, it's noticeably much more dead than it was even a month ago.

The last time I was there, I was on my cell phone in the middle of the veggie department complaining to a friend about the disgusting quality of Big C vegetables. A Thai woman overheard me and stopped to say "You're absolutely correct. None of my friends shop here anymore and today will be my last visit".

Since Big C took over Carrefour in Thailand, prices are higher, quality is lower and at least 30% of the stuff I used to buy is no longer sold there.

I now split my shopping between Tesco (which I hate, but at least their prices are cheap and they have a good selection of packaged food), Foodland and my local bi-weekly vegetable market - with the occasional visit to Gourmet Market at Siam.

You couldn't PAY me to set foot in Big C again. They've taken a wonderful supermarket (Carrefour) and turned it into one of the worst supermarket chains in Thailand in less than three months. Takes talent, that.

And who the HELL told Big C that a bright, fluorescent GREEN was attractive. It's NASTY!!!

I haven't noticed big changes to the Pattaya Carrefour/Big C Extra as yet as the stuff I buy there is still the same, e.g., bread. However, time will tell.

It looks to me to be steadily getting worse. Here's some things I've noticed:

1. The fresh fish selection is a about half of what it used to be. The smaller specialty fish are gone.

2. The fruit and vegetable section is starting to look very rough with less selection and poor quality.

3. Price marking is dismal. It's quite a job finding prices on half the items in there.

4. The cooked food section has nearly stopped labeling anything in English.

5. Staff attitude has gone downhill since Carrefour days, and that's saying something because Carrefour staff weren't the friendliest.

Anyone agree?

I think this is the first time in forum history,but I have to agree with you on all points.However I would like to add that you probably forgot to mention that the shopping baskets haven't been cleaned since the take over.I have walked out once already because there was not one basket the I wasn't scared to put food into.

It just gets worse every day. The prepared food selection is going down, the salad bar which used to have good tuna salad and a bunch of other tasty prepared items, is now filled with mayonnaise thickened fake hot dog parts and other mushy mixtures, and the downstairs food court area that used to have great sandwiches, cooked breakfasts, salads and more, is now completely gone.

It just gets worse every day. The prepared food selection is going down, the salad bar which used to have good tuna salad and a bunch of other tasty prepared items, is now filled with mayonnaise thickened fake hot dog parts and other mushy mixtures, and the downstairs food court area that used to have great sandwiches, cooked breakfasts, salads and more, is now completely gone.

Sounds like they are focusing on the Thai market...a large market in Thailand by the way :o

Don't know that Big C has any expertise in operating a farang targeted market. Thai is what they know and as I see it, that's the direction the old Carrefour is headed. I expected prices on specialty imported items to rise as they will not purchase in the volume that Carrefour did.

-redwood

Don't know that Big C has any expertise in operating a farang targeted market. Thai is what they know and as I see it, that's the direction the old Carrefour is headed. I expected prices on specialty imported items to rise as they will not purchase in the volume that Carrefour did.

-redwood

The way I see it, if there is no English on their receipts, they don't know jack about attracting Farang customers. It's very hard to check prices.

Sounds like they are focusing on the Thai market...a large market in Thailand by the way :o

You are missing the point. Easy to be sarcastic though I guess.

The Pattaya Carrefour attracted a very large number of westerners. That is why it was catered more to that segment (prepared foods, english marking etc) compared to a Carrefour in a non-Farang location. I would bet a pretty penny that the Pattaya store revenues will slide, including all the other shops in the arcade.

You are missing the point. Easy to be sarcastic though I guess.

The Pattaya Carrefour attracted a very large number of westerners. That is why it was catered more to that segment (prepared foods, english marking etc) compared to a Carrefour in a non-Farang location. I would bet a pretty penny that the Pattaya store revenues will slide, including all the other shops in the arcade.

Honesty, I was never impressed by the old Carrefour and even less so by Big C. For farang stuff why not try Foodland, Friendship or even Villa Market. The best stuff ,unfortunately, is still in Bangkok - check out the cheese selection in Emporium.

I would bet a pretty penny that the Pattaya store revenues will slide, including all the other shops in the arcade.

And I think you'll lose your pretty penny. Farangs around here have such an inflated notion of their own importance to Thailand.

I think we all agree that the old Carrefour better catered to the farang market. Two days ago I visited the new Big C Extra and verified what we are all saying.

But FarangBuddha was merely suggesting that Big C Extra will do well enough, financially speaking, by its focus on the Thai market as that is a far larger market than the farang market. A vast number of middle class Thais from BKK are regularly flooding into PTY on the weekends and holidays, too.

It's not the intention of Big C Extra to lose money. If they thought profits would go up significantly by greater emphasis on the farangs, they'd make exactly that. But that smaller, specialty (from the Thai point of view) market segment is being served adequately well by Foodland, Friendship, Villa, and Best. Big C can't compete with them on price, service, or convenience--and they know that.

During my visit, I found about as many customers in there as in the old Carrefour and, yes, a greater percentage were Thai. Still, there were quite a few farang as well--esp. if you count Russians as farang, which many of our TV posters perversely refuse to do, though French, Germans, and Belgians--among other Caucasians by race--have always been counted as farang.

I also found Big C adequate for my basic needs. I mostly shop at Tesco anyway w/ occasional visits to Foodland or Best. Many farangs will think the same. Many of us, believe it or not, don't go in for specialty cheeses, specialty meats, specialty fish and specialty whatnot. Now, I did find the prices a bit higher than Tesco for the same stuff, though not extremely so; and that was annoying. As for service--well, about the same as the old Carrefour. Thais are Thais, bless 'em. :)

Edited by JSixpack