A Saga Of Frustration And Disappointment

dimplejoe

Most people have heard of the golfer John Daly and seen his "different" style of clothing.

You can see it here http://www.loudmouthgolf.com/ and if you look closely, you will see that it is manufactured here in Thailand.

Wishing to cut a dash on the course and happy to support industry in my adopted country, I decided to buy some.

I e-mailed and asked if I could buy here in Thailand but had to do it via the US. No sweat, the website is user friendly.

Prices are a little high, but it's good stuff and it is supporting the poor buggers in a sweat shop somewhere in Bangkok.

Shorts, Shirt and Visor cost about 6300Baht including shipping.

I paid a small premium to have my order sent via Fedex (delivery 14th June before 5.00pm) and was pleased with the tracking facility and childishly enjoyed following the progress of my package across the world.

The whole thing was a marvel of US efficiency and technology - until it arrived in Thailand......

Loudmouth San Francisco - Order placed 9th June, Order dispatched 10th June to Fedex

Fedex - San Francisco to Memphis arrived 10th June, Memphis to Anchorage arrived 10th June

Fedex - Anchorage to Guangzho (China) arrived 12th June (crossed date line)

Fedex - Guangzho to Thailand arrived Fedex Samutprakarn sort facility 13th June 3.27am

Great stuff so far, but now the monkeys get hold of it.....

Fedex - Samutprakarn sent to International shipment release 13th June 6.56am

Fedex - Samutprakarn back from International shipment release 13th June 1.07pm

Fedex - Samutprakarn Tendered to authorized agent for final delivery13th June 1.34pm

Fedex Agent? - Samutprakarn sent to International shipment release 13th June 1.34pm

Fedex Agent – Samutprakarn to Buriram arrived 14th June 3.00pm

Unfortunately when the package arrived it came with a bill for over 3900Baht import tax and I politely refused to accept it.

Those of you who have been paying attention will remember that the bloody stuff was MADE IN THAILAND, so the import duty designed to protect Thai jobs is doing exactly the opposite.

You really couldn't make it up......

ANY time you use fedex or DHL you will be hammered for duty. ship via ems, no problem.

a freind and i bought identical cameras. mine arrived in a week via ems, no duty. his arrived in 3 days via dhl. duty 6,000 baht plus the premium for using a courier, about 7k total.

all part of the value added srevice

The clothes are made in customs bonded, export-only factories. They get BOI privileges that way.

When you re-import clothing made at them, you have to pay duty on them.

Sad but true.

Always use the postal service instead of DHL or Fedex, they will screw you every time.

Yep kinda like our products, we build in an export processing zone, for us to actually sell into Thailand all import taxes and duties need to be paid.

Where in Thailand is the manufacturing plant, Titleist has a manufacturing facility here in the EPZ 2 at Laem Chabang, if thats the manufacturer get to know some off the office staff, you'll get your gear nice and cheap then !!

Edited by Spoonman

Wow...I just had a look at the website. That be some LOUD clothes. Maybe Customs took one look at it and doubled the going rate, just because they didn't want to see it on the streets?

I was thinking the same, sounds like the fashion police were brought in on this case, and you were penalised accordingly :D

I don't really understand the frustration and disappointment.

You bought some clothes from America, they arrived within five days and you had to pay tax on them.

Surely that's entirely predictable.

Where the Americans make their clothes is their business. I doubt that any more than a very small part of the total value was added in the Thai sweatshop; most would be in the shipping, design, branding, quality supervision etc. If the value added was in the sweatshop, you would not have had to buy an American brand.

If the clothes were that good, then 10,000 baht for a good smart eye-catching outfit that will last years seems fair enough. You could have gone down Sukhumvit Road, paid less than a thousand, and got something that looked crap and lasted one wash. Now that would have been frustrating and disappointing. I just wish I had your eye for fashion. And the 56" breeks seem like a recipe for entertainment and frolics.

SC

I also note that they offer their trousers in waists up to 56"...holy crap.

Think a person could rule out a game of golf if they are sporting a 56" waist... they would probably need a crane to get them out of bed in the morning rolleyes.gif

The OP says "the whole thing was a marvel of US efficiency and technology - until it arrived in Thailand......" and adds rather insultingly that things went awry when "the monkeys get hold of it".

But the detailed dates in the OP show it took quite a few days to leave USA and to finally arrive in Thailand; and once here, it took just a day!

If the above is bugging the OP so much, might I respectfully suggest that the "monkeys" may prefer you move yourself away from THEIR country.

Oh, as for the import taxes, the "monkeys" might think the OP is not exactly brighter than the monkeys he ridicules, since the OP did not check what is dutiable when exported and re-imported again.

Perhaps not in these exact words, but isn't there a forum rule that says you should not refer to locals as monkeys especially when the facts laid out shows the OP to be the bigger fool ???????????????

Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to reply to this thread.

Your comments have taught me a lot.

For the moment I am resigned to playing in my normal attire – spangled thong and string vest.

However, I intend to explore all lawful means to obtain some of the clothing shown on the Loudmouth website and a special thank you goes to those who have pointed me in the right direction.

Maybe a 56" pair of shorts will be somewhat snug, but I think it will be worth it to make such an eye catching fashion statement.

I unreservedly withdraw my "monkey" comment and apologise to anyone who might feel offended by it.

Any foolishness was of course on my part.

Being a simple soul, unversed in the machinations of big business and globalization, I assumed that something made in Thailand was just that; but it seems I was wrong.

Thank you to everyone who took the trouble to reply to this thread.

Your comments have taught me a lot.

For the moment I am resigned to playing in my normal attire – spangled thong and string vest.

However, I intend to explore all lawful means to obtain some of the clothing shown on the Loudmouth website and a special thank you goes to those who have pointed me in the right direction.

Maybe a 56" pair of shorts will be somewhat snug, but I think it will be worth it to make such an eye catching fashion statement.

I unreservedly withdraw my "monkey" comment and apologise to anyone who might feel offended by it.

Any foolishness was of course on my part.

Being a simple soul, unversed in the machinations of big business and globalization, I assumed that something made in Thailand was just that; but it seems I was wrong.

Good recovery! You have par for this hole.

mario299 :rolleyes:

This is a bit like a tooth ache really, it goes away but keeps coming back niggling at me.

I'm tempted to have a pop at the more pompous replies, but I think it's best to treat them with the contempt they deserve.

The suppliers Loudmouth, who have been a pleasure to deal with throughout; when advised of the problem instantly promised a refund once they received the merchandise back.

Using the tracking on Fedex I find that the package has been languishing in their Bangkok facility since I refused to accept it on 14th June.

Maybe the m m m m magnificent Thai people dealing with it are not as good as some would suggest.

Initially on being offered a refund I assumed I would still have to pay for the Fedex delivery, which seemed reasonable considering Loudmouth state clearly on their excellent website that they have no control over import taxes etc.

Unfortunately, the website clearly shows items labelled "Made in Thailand" which is mis-leading.

It is a reasonable assumption that someone living in Greece, Guatamala or Gambia or wherever, is likely to pay import duty on something made in Thailand, because each country likes to protect it's own workforce from cheap imports.

Equally, if the items were marked "Made in Gambia" someone living in Thailand should reasonably expect to pay import duty.

However, if the items were labelled honestly i.e "Made in a place in Thailand which is only geographically in Thailand, while for tax evasion/avoidance purposes it is actually not in Thailand " which is it appears the case; knowing the ridiculous import charges the m m m m m magnificent Thai customs charge, I would never have placed an order.

I wouldn't be surprised that once good old John Daly hears about this (I have sent links to Loudmouth for this thread plus TD and Buriram Expats) he wll fly to Buriram and present myself and whole the membership of The Happy Endings Golf Society with complimentary oufits.

When he does so, I will happily pay his green fees at Khoa Kradong for 9 holes - we'll probably even let him win - and I'll chip in for a breakfast at the Bamboo Bar or if he prefers at Muang Pizza.

Edited by dimplejoe

You could have asked the U.S.-supplier to use Global Priority mail thru the USPS, where it would have interfaced with the Thai postal system and (possibly) avoided the duty. Or you could have had the items sent to a friend in the U.S. and asked him/her to send them to you via Global Priority mail from the USPS and to fill out the customs forms as a "gift".

I agree with the previous comments -- DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc all play the game for the customs dept because they want to continue to do business in Thailand. The Thai postal system doesn't, because they're a different gov't dept and the customs dept has no power to make them go away.

"Great stuff so far, but now the monkeys get hold of it....."

If you want to apologize, I would direct it to the monkeys, and, after all, we're all monkeys. I think, but I won't go into that at this time.

"Made in Thailand" does not mean that you can import it duty free. Reasons have been stated above.

Give up, the bloke doesn't understand the concept of bonded warehouses and export processing zones. He only knows how to whinge. Telling him "to get his hand of it" is futile.

The OP says "the whole thing was a marvel of US efficiency and technology - until it arrived in Thailand......" and adds rather insultingly that things went awry when "the monkeys get hold of it".

But the detailed dates in the OP show it took quite a few days to leave USA and to finally arrive in Thailand; and once here, it took just a day!

If the above is bugging the OP so much, might I respectfully suggest that the "monkeys" may prefer you move yourself away from THEIR country.

Oh, as for the import taxes, the "monkeys" might think the OP is not exactly brighter than the monkeys he ridicules, since the OP did not check what is dutiable when exported and re-imported again.

Perhaps not in these exact words, but isn't there a forum rule that says you should not refer to locals as monkeys especially when the facts laid out shows the OP to be the bigger fool ???????????????

I second that comment above and would expect an educated American such as the OP would have respect for the people of the country he is a visitor of.

Karma catches up to tools like that pretty quickly in this country, Chok dee krup!

"Made in Thailand" does not mean that you can import it duty free. Reasons have been stated above.

Give up, the bloke doesn't understand the concept of bonded warehouses and export processing zones. He only knows how to whinge. Telling him "to get his hand of it" is futile.

Perhaps he should have asked the monkeys first.

Or, sought advice from erstwhile TV members.

Edited by Patronus

Gentlemen, if that is the correct form of address.

A fool I may be, but at least I have a reasonable command of the English language, I can spell, type and I try to make sure my posts – even the insulting ones - make sense.

Samran – what does Telling him "to get his hand of it" is futile actually mean?

Maybe you meant off it....

Katacove – what does visitor of mean ?

Maybe you meant visitor to.....

Your assumption that I am American is based on what?

The fact that I attempted to buy goods from that country, or that I admire efficiency and technology?

Surely a much less reasonable assumption than mine regarding a Made in Thailand lable (or label if you're American).

Patronus – why would I seek the advice of erstwhile TV members?

I suggest if you want to use big words to impress, it might be a good idea to check what they mean – maybe you could ask an adult.

To save your time in looking it up, erstwhile in fact means former........

worse still is the situation regarding the lovely motorcylces that triumph make in thailand.

if you want to buy one of them - built in one of their TWO factories here - on paper (although not physically) the bike you buy will have been exported to the uk and re-imported to thailand, so you pay insane import duty on it - making it prohibitively expensive...

bah and humbug!

Edited by joe ekkamai

I suggest if you want to use big words to impress, it might be a good idea to check what they mean – maybe you could ask an adult.

Bugger Me !

50 odd years and I always thought I could use 'erstwhile' to refer to (in this case sarcastically) 'quality', 'valued', 'esteemed' members of TV.

I stand corrected and will immediately write out the word, and definition, 500 times by way of penance (I hope that is correct because I cannot spell repentance).

Regrettably, my post back-fired because I wanted to draw out further criticisms of the OP. My intention was then to state that it is not obvious that there would be import duties payable on goods, ordered via the Internet, - particularly where they are known to have been produced in Thailand. Rather than criticising the OP for his lack of knowledge, perhaps the esteemed Thai Visa members could have offered advice.

Or at least recognise the tongue-in-cheek nature of the original post.

Somehow "Frank the Yank" doesn't have the right ring to it. ;)

Bugger Me !

50 odd years and I always thought I could use 'erstwhile' to refer to (in this case sarcastically) 'quality', 'valued', 'esteemed' members of TV.

I stand corrected and will immediately write out the word, and definition, 500 times by way of penance (I hope that is correct because I cannot spell repentance).

Regrettably, my post back-fired because I wanted to draw out further criticisms of the OP. My intention was then to state that it is not obvious that there would be import duties payable on goods, ordered via the Internet, - particularly where they are known to have been produced in Thailand. Rather than criticising the OP for his lack of knowledge, perhaps the esteemed Thai Visa members could have offered advice.

Or at least recognise the tongue-in-cheek nature of the original post.

Somehow "Frank the Yank" doesn't have the right ring to it. ;)

'Penance' is correct. 'Repentance' means to regret your sins, and eschew them in the future.

It seems a bit of a shame that they don't have a factory outlet that exports direct to Thailand, as this might eliminate some of the 'grey market' imports which no doubt occur, but which may be of questionable legality and may not meet the same quality as the officially sanctioned products.

I never really understood the frustration and disappointment, and it seemed to be a pretty brief saga; its not exactly the Illiad, is it? He's not really overcome a series of obstacles. To be honest, I think My 2006 Calcutta Cup trip was more epic... Anyway, I hope he likes his breiks. Great bags are worth suffering for.

SC