Thai Army Chief Enters Election Fray

webfact

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

and when do the military pop their heads up in Europe during elections? Never is the answer. Not possibly or maybe but NEVER!

You mean to say that what happens or not happens in Europe is relevant, or can be compared with what happens in Thailand?

Rubi read the answer please.

I read the answer you provided with the question. All I was asking was if it meant you were trying to say what could or could not be happening in Europe was relevant here.

PS lower case characters are not easy, I know, but my member name is RUBL

There are only two reasons our friendly Thaksin forum apologists are jumping on their high horses at the sound of an army spokesman. Firstly, the army isn't in Thaksin's pocket, the final piece of jigsaw which Thaksin tried on two occasions to seize to close his attempts to capture state power. Secondly it was the army which drove his murderous thugs off the streets last year. It is for these reasons the red cheerleaders are upset and that the army leader knows their game. All the other wailing is a diversion.

Will someone tell this deluded man that he is a soldier not a politician. I dont understand why he is allowed to bully the Thai nation I hope Pheu Thai sort him out because Abhisit certainly won't and we all know why don't we ;)

You do understand how things work in Thailand, don't you ?

Well, well, well... considering that in what, many in this forum and elsewhere, boasting to be "educated in western democratic countries" believe, express and support the democratic right of free speech, the same individuals won't give this right in their blatant selfish- "I am right'isher than other's" ignorant attitude; to someone like Prayuth, the Military Commander in Chief of the KINGDOM of Thailand, who's DUTY it is to protect the Kingdom, it's people and his "Boss"! Thailand wich is, as of today a CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY and it's Ruler and TOP Decisionmaker is undisputeable the King of Thailand and people, anyone involved HAS to play by the rules, as simple as that!

Rules are the rules, unless they are changed one day!

"Uncle Arthur" said....

Yes, most of the posters on here keep forgetting, Thailand is not a Democracy, it's a Constitutional Monarchy, light on the constitutional and heavy on the Monarchy. The Thai armed forces have been and will always be stolid Royalists. If they think some political party is in defiance of the Royal family, they will step in. That's their job. To protect the country and the Royal family. This is not going to change anytime soon. Just think what would happen in the US if the military decided that the actions of the president and congress were not in accordance to the will of the people, and staged a martial law. Who could stop them? They have all the weapons and manpower. You think anyone in congress could stop them, not likely. Same thing in Thailand, can the mp's stop the military? Not likely, they haven't yet. Having said that, we farangs can yammer on and on, but when it comes down to the nut crunching, this is not our country and we have no say so here. If the Thai people don't like it, they have to change it, not us.

Almost 400,000 national guard troops and equipment including tanks and jet fighters are commanded by the governors of each state in the US apart from the federal military. The President can also call up national guard troops in the case of an emergency. Plus there are 88.8 guns per 100 people in the US outside of the military. Iran has 7 per 100 for comparison.

~What in the name of anything has this got to do with the original posting? 200 Teddy bears in tanks and 300 wombats flying planes ??? Americans + guns = not clever now try to go back to the original posting ........ please............give me the strength to draw breath

and when do the military pop their heads up in Europe during elections? Never is the answer. Not possibly or maybe but NEVER!

You mean to say that what happens or not happens in Europe is relevant, or can be compared with what happens in Thailand?

Rubi read the answer please.

I read the answer you provided with the question. All I was asking was if it meant you were trying to say what could or could not be happening in Europe was relevant here.

sorry rubl but my pixels are not as high as they were in my earlier years and to add the intervention of the military .... I would never support it here in SEA or Europe as the mind set of the military is not the same as civilians

Edited by MrChangers

MrChangers: and when do the military pop their heads up in Europe during elections? Never is the answer. Not possibly or maybe but NEVER!

rubl: You mean to say that what happens or not happens in Europe is relevant, or can be compared with what happens in Thailand?

MrChangers: Rubi read the answer please.

rubl:I read the answer you provided with the question. All I was asking was if it meant you were trying to say what could or could not be happening in Europe was relevant here.

sorry rubl but my pixels are not as high as they were in my earlier years

Reformatted, too many quotes.

Anyway, I'm used to having my member name misspelled (even without showing it :lol: )

More important, I'm still wondering about the relevance of military behaviour in Europe and that of the military here?

Will someone tell this deluded man that he is a soldier not a politician. I dont understand why he is allowed to bully the Thai nation I hope Pheu Thai sort him out because Abhisit certainly won't and we all know why don't we ;)

You do understand how things work in Thailand, don't you ?

Nope he is worried about his next months cash .... and benefits .... from back handers so I have been told

"Vote for good people!" is taken to mean Democrats. Just possibly the good general feels that persons facing terrorism and various other criminal charges, and swearing allegiance to a convicted criminal with megalomanic tendencies, are not fit to run his country's government. Personally, I agree with him.

If voting patterns are repeated, so will prior events (or words to that effect) IMHO means that if PTP is allowed to return Thaksin, he will again attempt to manipulate the other branches of democracy (judiciary and enforcement) to gain absolute control, as he did earlier, and that this will not be allowed to happen. At which point in the process intervention will occur was unclear. Quite possibly Thaksin might return to an "Aquino welcome." More likely an attempt to grant amnesty would lead to a coup.

Many of the posters here seem to be ignorant of how democracy works. There is no right for the legislature to subvert the other branches, which is what PTP is attempting by its plan to grant amnesty to Thaksin, and by placing UDD members facing charges on their party list, ensuring that they will be elected and postponing indefinitely the charges against them.

The RTA pledges its allegiance to the head of state and the nation. In some countries (US is a good example) the head of state may grant amnesties, though this is often seen as corrupt. In Thailand, the head of state is not elected, and has offered no amnesty.

Well, well, well... considering that in what, many in this forum and elsewhere, boasting to be "educated in western democratic countries" believe, express and support the democratic right of free speech, the same individuals won't give this right in their blatant selfish- "I am right'isher than other's" ignorant attitude; to someone like Prayuth, the Military Commander in Chief of the KINGDOM of Thailand, who's DUTY it is to protect the Kingdom, it's people and his "Boss"! Thailand wich is, as of today a CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY and it's Ruler and TOP Decisionmaker is undisputeable the King of Thailand and people, anyone involved HAS to play by the rules, as simple as that!

Rules are the rules, unless they are changed one day!

"Uncle Arthur" said....

Yes, most of the posters on here keep forgetting, Thailand is not a Democracy, it's a Constitutional Monarchy, light on the constitutional and heavy on the Monarchy. The Thai armed forces have been and will always be stolid Royalists. If they think some political party is in defiance of the Royal family, they will step in. That's their job. To protect the country and the Royal family. This is not going to change anytime soon. Just think what would happen in the US if the military decided that the actions of the president and congress were not in accordance to the will of the people, and staged a martial law. Who could stop them? They have all the weapons and manpower. You think anyone in congress could stop them, not likely. Same thing in Thailand, can the mp's stop the military? Not likely, they haven't yet. Having said that, we farangs can yammer on and on, but when it comes down to the nut crunching, this is not our country and we have no say so here. If the Thai people don't like it, they have to change it, not us.

I thought the sates allowed you to have a machine gun to stop those kind of things.:lol:

Scandalous, is anyone aware of any other democratic countries where the military head is so vociferous (I am talking about first world, not 3rd world banana republics).

He has said the army will remain neutral so why go against that with this press conference, I believe he said he was speaking in his position as a civilian (this was my understanding from television this morning) so why is he doing this in full military uniform, well to be fair, why is he doing this anyway? maybe he can see his job slipping away and maybe he can forsesse a full investigation into what happened last year under his command.

If anyone things the military do not run this country and thinks the army did not do a deal last year with the dems (even though abhisit admitted this last week that a deal was done) then they are sadly deluded.

Cue the cheerleaders now.

Are you saying military leaders in first world countries are not allowed to express their concerns and opinions.

Or are you saying they are afraid to state them because they fear repercussions.

In other words there jobs hang on there political orientation. So don't state it just go with the flow.

As for being in full military uniform. Well are the other canadates appearing in uniforms that don't mislead people to believe they do other things. If Yingluck was to appear in a bathing suit I would be asking why is she doing that, but she dosen't try to make people think she is a swimmer so she dosen't appear in one.

If you don't like the democrats and the military remember you are in Thailand it is OK to say what is on your mind. The LM laws will not hold you back unless you are going to attack the royal family.

Own up to your beliefs.

Tell us why you support a convicted fugitive from justice. A man who launched a free for all killing spree in a supposed war on drugs. (one he lost the drugs are still here only now you buy them from his men) and a man who bankrolled a attempted coup that resulted in the loss of lives for over 90 people. These are the things one should be looking at and if you have a good reason put it out there. I am sure Mr. Thaksin would love to hear them.

Not sure what you are getting at. Do they keep there heads in the sand because they are afraid and freedom of speech is not extended to them? Or worse yet they are not bright enough to have a opinion.

Remember this was his personal statement he made no bones about that. He was not speaking for the army. I find it interesting that you people come from banana republics and are shocked to find freedom of speech here.:o

MrChangers: and when do the military pop their heads up in Europe during elections? Never is the answer. Not possibly or maybe but NEVER!

rubl: You mean to say that what happens or not happens in Europe is relevant, or can be compared with what happens in Thailand?

MrChangers: Rubi read the answer please.

rubl:I read the answer you provided with the question. All I was asking was if it meant you were trying to say what could or could not be happening in Europe was relevant here.

sorry rubl but my pixels are not as high as they were in my earlier years

Reformatted, too many quotes.

Anyway, I'm used to having my member name misspelled (even without showing it :lol: )

More important, I'm still wondering about the relevance of military behaviour in Europe and that of the military here?

Rubi itg is the only thing the red shirts can do they have no platform or plan to better Thailand so throw up useless information to cover it up. That of course is just Thaksin's devotee's. the man himself just says what ever and tomorrow says the opposite. If you watch him closer you will be able to see when he is lying. His mouth will be moving.

He is just a sad pathetic old man with enough money to buy the PM job using his clone. Like the old men moving to Thailand and getting incredibly lucky by finding a Thai women less than half there age who truly loves them. Same thing both trying desperately to return to there former days of days of glory.

What is really sad is Thaksin has so many uneducated people willing to die for him (2010 Bangkok) that if he chose he could be a shining example of doing the right thing for Thailand. Instead he chooses to use his money and power to increase both commodities past where they are and beyond the needs of hundred's of thousands people.

Truly a sad figure.

heheheheeh You falangs are sure getting your tits in a wringer over what. You cannot vote and have no say, you just donot understand Thainess and what makes a Thai. The posts

on this thread sure prove you donot understand Thailand.

By the way stop trying to make Thailand into what you left. I like Thailand the way it is with all of the warts and problems it a dam_n nice place.

You keep forgetting the system Thailand has has worked for them for years stop wanting it to be like home, the place you left

I have asked several times but no answer yet the falangs who support Thaksin and the PTP what do you expect to get out of that support.

heheheheeh You falangs are sure getting your tits in a wringer over what. You cannot vote and have no say, you just donot understand Thainess and what makes a Thai. The posts

By the way stop trying to make Thailand into what you left. I like Thailand the way it is with all of the warts and problems it a dam_n nice place.

You keep forgetting the system Thailand has has worked for them for years stop wanting it to be like home, the place you left

I have asked several times but no answer yet the falangs who support Thaksin and the PTP what do you expect to get out of that support.

The satisfaction of knowing old people in Thailand will get a pension and the scourge of the returning drug menace will be dealt with as effectively as before.

Does that answer your question?

There are only two reasons our friendly Thaksin forum apologists are jumping on their high horses at the sound of an army spokesman. Firstly, the army isn't in Thaksin's pocket, the final piece of jigsaw which Thaksin tried on two occasions to seize to close his attempts to capture state power. Secondly it was the army which drove his murderous thugs off the streets last year. It is for these reasons the red cheerleaders are upset and that the army leader knows their game. All the other wailing is a diversion.

Glad to have got that off your chest?

Your problem is that the concern about the abuses of the Thai army, impertinent political meddling being just the latest, are shared by thousands of well educated Thai people , natural Democrat voters.Fatuous comments about red cheerleaders are beside the point.

LMAO. So after 12 months in Pattaya, you are an expert?

"the system Thailand has has worked for them for years" - That's the funniest thing I've seen on this forum EVER. The system here is not working, it is seeing Thailand fall behind it's competitors in the region. Education is terrible,Police are corrupt, Politicians are corrupt, Army is corrupt. Corruption removes the ability for Thailand to move forward. Constant coups stop any real political progress. The fact that there are still people with food in their mouths does not mean that this system is working.

As for "What makes a Thai" - it's mom & dad.

For "Thainess" - I am sure you have a few nice pigeonholes for 60 million people. In reality, there is no such thing as a 'standard Thai'. Just like any country, there is a culture here and some of it is bewildering to newcomers such as yourself. Hence you put all those traits down as "Thainess" and are unable to distinguish between one person and another.

The real reason the PTP, and their supporters here, are offended by his remarks is that he advised the Thai people to vote for "good" politicians. None of the PTP candidates are qualified. It really is a glaring admission to make on their part.

:cheesy: Beat me to it !

The satisfaction of knowing old people in Thailand will get a pension and the scourge of the returning drug menace will be dealt with as effectively as before.

Didn't the current government already introduce an old-age pension ? Facts are such inconvenient things.

Perhaps PTP might next upstage the Dems by promising a free hospital-treatment scheme ? B)

Didn't the current government already introduce an old-age pension ? Facts are such inconvenient things.

Perhaps PTP might next upstage the Dems by promising a free hospital-treatment scheme ? B)

Facts are only inconvenient when people make statements that are not backed up with them. So, why don't you give us the facts, Did the current admin introduce a pension or not. I haven't heard that they did and none of my Thai family has recieved any money.

Come on, give us some facts.

Didn't the current government already introduce an old-age pension ?

No, it didn't.

Try Googling 'Thailand Old Age Allowance', and following the reference to the 'news-outlet that shall not be mentioned'.

500 Baht per month, inadequate but a start, I'd have thought.

Your problem is that the concern about the abuses of the Thai army, impertinent political meddling being just the latest, are shared by thousands of well educated Thai people , natural Democrat voters.Fatuous comments about red cheerleaders are beside the point.

Somehow it seems you did feel addressed though ;)

Didn't the current government already introduce an old-age pension ?

No, it didn't.

April 2009

"Thai PM Guarantees Older People's Right to Social Pension"

http://www.globalagi...social/Thai.htm

The Prime Minister of Thailand, Abhisit Vejjajiva, has declared social pensions a basic human right and will seek ways to expand the country's current pension system to deliver income security for all older people

He said "seek ways" two years ago. Anyone seen any checks?.

Somehow it seems you did feel addressed though ;)

Weird reasoning.

How is it that rebutting Prayuth's political meddling reflects on me personally or makes me a Thaksin apologist?

"Vote for good people!" is taken to mean Democrats. Just possibly the good general feels that persons facing terrorism and various other criminal charges, and swearing allegiance to a convicted criminal with megalomanic tendencies, are not fit to run his country's government. Personally, I agree with him.

If voting patterns are repeated, so will prior events (or words to that effect) IMHO means that if PTP is allowed to return Thaksin, he will again attempt to manipulate the other branches of democracy (judiciary and enforcement) to gain absolute control, as he did earlier, and that this will not be allowed to happen. At which point in the process intervention will occur was unclear. Quite possibly Thaksin might return to an "Aquino welcome." More likely an attempt to grant amnesty would lead to a coup.

Many of the posters here seem to be ignorant of how democracy works. There is no right for the legislature to subvert the other branches, which is what PTP is attempting by its plan to grant amnesty to Thaksin, and by placing UDD members facing charges on their party list, ensuring that they will be elected and postponing indefinitely the charges against them.

The RTA pledges its allegiance to the head of state and the nation. In some countries (US is a good example) the head of state may grant amnesties, though this is often seen as corrupt. In Thailand, the head of state is not elected, and has offered no amnesty.

That an Army General in chief would say "Vote for good people!" is not really a problem, when said general adds what basically amounts to "or else..." that's one big ugly problem. In my country said general would said that in the evening, be behind bars under disciplinary arrest the next morning and removed of his position by lunch time.

It is a gross transgression in a democratic system. No matter how awful the prospect of the Party of Thaksin's Puppets winning the election and a person that would make Sarah Palin look like Winston Churchill assuming the premiership is, the army should have no business throwing its weight in the political arena.

April 2009

"Thai PM Guarantees Older People’s Right to Social Pension"

http://www.globalaging.org/pension/world/social/Thai.htm

Government has done nothing on this as previously noted.

"Seeking ways" doesn't mean anything than vague aspiration - and this has been talked about for decades by politicians from all parties

The THB 500 / month is a fact. The improvements are aspiration. Personally I think PTP should add a 'credit card for elderly' to their bag of goodies :)