The Way Thai People Speak English

fritter1970

I live in Chiang Mai for much of the year and notice myself falling into a nasty habit after I have been there for a while. What is that habit? I start speaking English the same way my Thai friends speak English! I do this moreso after having a few beers and when I catch myself I think to myself "why are you talking like that?!?!!!"

Does anyone else ever catch themselves doing this?

I never caught.

Me English speak good.

I think - speak same way other person speaks, easy they understand

I first learn this talking with American people - speak with American accent, they understand easy.

Talk with Scottish accent

aubdysezamarajeejit

SC

walk like an ejjit, son

I never caught.

Me English speak good.

I first learn this talking with American people - speak with American accent, they understand easy.

aubdysezamarajeejit

SC

walk like an ejjit, son

And if your taking to some one who is welsh ..well just forget as you will not have a hope in hell in understanding that lot whistling.gif

I never caught.

Me English speak good.

aubdysezamarajeejit

SC

walk like an ejjit, son

And if your taking to some one who is welsh ..well just forget as you will not have a hope in hell in understanding that lot whistling.gif

Bah!

It's very natural for people who live at a place for long, you will tend to speak like the locals. The accent and their style of speaking English. This practice every where in the world. Forget about speaking "good" English to them in your ,American , English, Scottish, Australian etc accent. This will make them harder to understand you and remember, Thai always speak in " Short cut " and some funny example I'd encountered within Asia.....

Thailand:

Me: Hey where can I buy a SIM card?

Thai: You go seven or in the chopping also have sell. ( You can go 7-11 or the shopping mall, they sell it too)

Singapore:

Me: Hey, are you free tomorrow morning?

Sin: Tomorrow morning cannot leh, I have appointment, late a bit can or not? ( Tomorrow morning I'm not available, can make it later? )

Vietnam:

Me: So this trekking road will get me to that village?

Viet: Yes, but zhe road is no so good, you must walk carefully, zhe weather is very hot, walk slowly. ( Zhe is The )

People always said, When in Rome, follow what the Romans do! My 2 cents!

Edited by sunnyhor

I just worked with an Australian guy who spoke to me in that clipped grammatically retarded Tinglish....

Its completely and fully understandable and acceptable from someone who's native tongue is not English.

However, when a native English speaker talks to me using this ‘dumbed up’ English I simply think.... "This <deleted>#ktard has gone native" !

Don't do it people, it makes you appear exceptionally dumb !!

Caveat: As discussed in another thread recently: It is acceptable to simplify your phrases so that you can be more readily understood by those who's English skills are limited (But don’t use it on our wives !)....

Edited by richard_smith237

I somehow agree on this BUT, I always tell foreigners living or working in Thailand to speak more like a Thai. At least makes the Thai easy to understand you. Of course when you are not speaking to a Thai, just speak the accent you use to speak, I had encounter once in Phuket....... A young Aussie try to speak to me in a very "humiliate" style of English. I thought to myself, he wanted to tell me how the Thai speak and I think the way he speak is too "deliberate" , worst than how a Thai speak.

When I tell him, I'm not a Thai so you can speak your English to me, I will definitely understand you, you need not "ACT" too much because the way you speak annoyed me. And he tried to speak like a Thai again and again.....................WTFFFFFFFFFF, and I wish him HAVE A GOOD DIE.......( good day )

I just worked with an Australian guy who spoke to me in that clipped grammatically retarded Tinglish....

Its completely and fully understandable and acceptable from someone who's native tongue is not English.

However, when a native English speaker talks to me using this 'dumbed up' English I simply think.... "This <deleted>#ktard has gone native" !

Caveat: As discussed in another thread recently: It is acceptable to simplify your phrases so that you can be more readily understood by those who's English skills are limited (But don't use it on our wives !)....

Edited by sunnyhor

met an aussie, adelaide married with a thai, udon. He understands her by osmosis..........

Me go= i go,

they house =their house,

she car = her car,

I not know = i don't know,

same me = same as me

his English then became like her's when speak to others.

link

Buffalo is ill - A Thai girl/woman asks her foreign partner for more money, but has doubtful reasons about the need for it.

Butterfly - A person having multiple (consecutive) relations, used mainly in Thai/Farang communication. (Originating from Japan in the 50's from Puccini's opera Madam Butterfly)

Cinderella - Generally referring to an Isan lady looking for or finding a foreign partner. Kaput - Broken, A German word, somehow introduced into the Thai language.

(Go to) Koh Phi Phi - Take a pee.

Pattaya/Patong/Bangkok/etc. tatoo - A scar from a motorbike accident.

Pick-up some roadkill - A foreigner, often a sex-tourist, looking for or finding a street prostitute. Used outside Thailand as well.

Same, same but different - Used throughout S-E Asia for foreigner/local communication to identify something which cannot be classified because lack of knowledge of the language spoken.

Tanglish - Broken or badly pronounced English spoken by a Thai person.

Thai time - A delay when making an appointment with a Thai person and he or she shows up or is ready far later than is customary in Western culture.

YKK - Zip your mouth up (named after the zipper manufacturer).

after 15 years here, i can honestly say i dont speak pidgin to anyone. but then i took the trouble to learn thai, and continue to do so, so why would i need to?

my 4 year old looked at me the other day when some kindly moron was speaking to her in pidgin and asked daddy why does he talk funny?

after 15 years here, i can honestly say i dont speak pidgin to anyone. but then i took the trouble to learn thai, and continue to do so, so why would i need to?

my 4 year old looked at me the other day when some kindly moron was speaking to her in pidgin and asked daddy why does he talk funny?

My 4 year old just asked "Daddy, doesn't that man have a shift key on his keyboard?" ;)

Just which English were you talking about? Are you including: Cockney English, Shropshire English, Oxford English, Welsh English, Scottish English, Irish English, Liverpool English, Bangladesh English, West coast Canadian English, East coast Canadian English, French Canadian English, Australian English, Southern US English, New England US English, California English, or pick any one of the British Commonwealth countries that supposedly speak English?

My 4 year old just asked "Daddy, doesn't that man have a shift key on his keyboard?" ;)

i generally concentrate on clarity and grammar, the truth be told i cannot be arsed to capitalize as well, especially when the majority of the board seems rely on emoticons in their stead.

However, when a native English speaker talks to me using this ‘dumbed up’ English I simply think.... "This <deleted>#ktard has gone native" !

Caveat: As discussed in another thread recently: It is acceptable to simplify your phrases so that you can be more readily understood by those who's English skills are limited (But don’t use it on our wives !)....

"<deleted>#ktard"

LOVE IT. A term I haven't used in a while. Thanks for reminding me of it. Will make sure it will get a work out in the next few months!!

:)

Just which English were you talking about? Are you including: Cockney English, Shropshire English, Oxford English, Welsh English, Scottish English, Irish English, Liverpool English, Bangladesh English, West coast Canadian English, East coast Canadian English, French Canadian English, Australian English, Southern US English, New England US English, California English, or pick any one of the British Commonwealth countries that supposedly speak English?

Queen's English.

It doesn't matter where you are from in the English speaking world. Even though you are from an English-speaking country, "you not speak good English". The Thais speak your language better than you do.

It doesn't matter where you are from in the English speaking world. Even though you are from an English-speaking country, "you not speak good English". The Thais speak your language better than you do.

Come on some of you native English speaking guys have horrible accents. I can understand Thais not having a clue. I have heard many accents in my time so i think i can judge it pretty well. Its like there are many Dutch accents too (especially for such a small country) it is possible for a foreigner to speak better Dutch then some of those. I rather speak with a Thai with a limited English vocabulary then with some of those "native" speakers.

Queen's English.

Well, I've met a few Cockney queens that couldn't speak or write English well enough so that a Canadian could understand them. I've had better luck understanding some Thais. Can anybody understand what Gravion writes on these forums? He is supposedly writing English. :D

Queen's English.

Well, I've met a few Cockney queens that couldn't speak or write English well enough so that a Canadian could understand them. I've had better luck understanding some Thais.

London born so I can do both though I prefer the real Queen's English rather than the pearly type. I do at times revert to the London tongue when meeting a fellow ex Londoner as time may be pressing so being loquicious does come in handy.

Queen's English.

Her Majesty hardly speaks at all, at least not to the likes of me! :P

RP or 'received pronunciation' was often referred to as 'BBC English, if spoken now, would be barely understandable by 90% of the population of England. Language is fluid, English language particularly so, given it's widspread use around the world. The most important aspect of it is to understand and be understood. This means that you will, necessarily, shift your language into patterns that are easily digestible in order to express your thoughts accurately

I think it's easy to slip into the Thai grammar style of English, especially when speaking in 'mixed' company. Hard to continually adjust if there's, say, three farang and three Thai people with less than fluent Engrish skills and you want everyone to grasp the meaning without having to continually 'translate' from a more native speakers flow of English. If I'm discussing the finer points of football with a couple of English mates then I'm not going to be saying things like 'man yoo same same kee kwai' although the native English version may use equally incorrect grammar.

What did throw me yesterday was flying into Mumbai and having to switch my ear to the way the Indian airport staff form their sentences. I did, however, enjoy their frustration at my blank 'huh?' stares, as they obviously feel they are fluent!

I agree with those that say Thai-English is more understandable than what's spoken by many westerners in Thailand. I have an embarrassingly hard time deciphering what some people from various parts of the UK say to me. The accents can be so strong. The people are often very nice and friendly, so I feel like a rude arse for not comprending their English. Therefore, I just nod and smile.