Laser Eye Surgery.

Chopper

I am thinking about having my eyesight (hopefully) improved by way of Laser Eye Surgery. I just wondered if anyone has had experience with this at any hospitals in Bangkok and could give a recommendation or otherwise.

What the associated costs and procedures are would be helpful. How long did the treatment take, was it effective immediately and so forth.

Any bad experiences would be worth hearing about as well. Cheers.

This is an International operation and rated highly.

http://www.lasikthai.com/home.asp

Also Bumrungrad hospital:

http://www.bumrungrad.com/htm/eng/main.asp...id=OPTH%204.6.1

The costs are between 25K & 30K baht per eye. Was going to do it but after getting cataracts was not an option. Used Bumrungrad for the cataract lense replacement and very pleased with them.

Edited by tywais

I strongly suggest that anyone thinking of any kind of laser eye treatment first have a look at other options. There could be all sorts of complications and problems. :o

One option that has worked for a lot of people is the Bates Method. This is mainly a series of exercises that will help to restore normal vision. Some people will notice an immediate effect for others it could take some time.

There are hundreds of sites on internet regarding this method, just search for “Bates Method” or have a look at one of them:

http://www.seeing.org/

There are also a few books with a complete explanation on how it works.

Suggest you give this a go for six months or so before deciding on a laser treatment, much safer and cheaper. :D

I had LASIK in the U.S.A. a few years ago. It was very successful for me, and there were no complications. My number one suggestion would be to find a surgeon who has performed the most procedures, all other things (facility, equipment, personality, qualifications, etc.) being equal.

There are a series of tests done prior to the procedure that can help determine the likely outcome.

The procedure itself is a bit frightening even with valium but having a good surgeon talking you through the procedure helps. FWIW you can actually smell the tissue as it gets vaporized. I can't recall all the details but I think I had to use some special drops, maybe to control infection, and sleep with plastic covers taped over my eyes for a few days (to avoid inadvertently scratching your eyes when you sleep).

The procedure takes a few hours (elapsed time, sit, wait, take a valium; there are usually several other patients getting the procedure the same day) but maybe only 5 ~ 10 minutes actually getting zapped.

Recovery takes a few days, but you should "see" a noticeable change the next day. I think I was up to 20/20 in both eyes for my first post-op exam at 48 hours. I haven't noticed any changes, good or bad, since the procedure.

Anyway it's a long, involved process requiring a good eye doctor, technicians, equipment and a surgeon. Cost/price would be the last item on my checklist.

I think I had:

- hardcore, involved eye exam, pupils dilated etc. Eye Doctor

- two ~ four exams with the LASIK technicians (one shows a sort of topographical map)

- three follow-on eye exams with my regular eye doctor (2 days, 1 month, 3 months)

BTW, I do require reading glasses but that is more a result of my age than the procedure.

Edited by lomatopo

I am thinking about having my eyesight (hopefully) improved by way of Laser Eye Surgery. I just wondered if anyone has had experience with this at any hospitals in Bangkok and could give a recommendation or otherwise.

What the associated costs and procedures are would be helpful. How long did the treatment take, was it effective immediately and so forth.

chopper,

one of my reasons for traveling to thailand was to undergo LASIK surgery. after much research, i opted to use: TRSC International LASIK Center, located in BKK. this center has been performing 'wave front' (4th generation) surgery for 3 years; it has only become available in the US this year. wave front costs a bit more, but it is the most advanced technology available today. a topographical, if you will, measurement is taken of your cornea and the unsuing laser is a custom cut which ensures the most perfect vision of which your corrected vision is capable.

the international counselors speak fluent english, as of course, did my surgeon (i had the surgery yesterday). all aspects of the procedure, from the pre-op exam to the the surgery itself to the post op exam, were conducted on time, efficiently, politely. at all times i considered myself to be in very good hands.

time spent:

pre-op exam, to include orientation: about 3 hours

prep and LASIK surgery: about 1.5 hours

1st day post-op: about .5 hour

there are three LASIK surgeries available:

Premium (3rd generation): 35,000 Baht (one eye)

Optimum (3rd generation): 38,500 Baht;

Ultimate (4th generation 'wave front'): 41,750 Baht

also, included in the price are 5 post-op exams

i know that the above prices are not the least expensive to be found in bkk, but i wasn't looking only at price, but also technology and the experience of the staff. this center performs 20,000 LASIK surgeries annually----that's a lot of surgeries!

i don't know if it is appropriate to share their website address here, but it can be easily found doing a web search.

i am most pleased with everything about the center and my surgery.

if you have additional questions, PM me and i will be happy to chat with you further.

best wishes to you as you make your decision. :o

leezer

xo

chopper,

one of my reasons for traveling to thailand was to undergo LASIK surgery. after much research, i opted to use: TRSC International LASIK Center, located in BKK. this center has been performing 'wave front' (4th generation) surgery for 3 years; it has only become available in the US this year. wave front costs a bit more, but it is the most advanced technology available today. a topographical, if you will, measurement is taken of your cornea and the unsuing laser is a custom cut which ensures the most perfect vision of which your corrected vision is capable.

the international counselors speak fluent english, as of course, did my surgeon (i had the surgery yesterday). all aspects of the procedure, from the pre-op exam to the the surgery itself to the post op exam, were conducted on time, efficiently, politely. at all times i considered myself to be in very good hands.

time spent:

pre-op exam, to include orientation: about 3 hours

prep and LASIK surgery: about 1.5 hours

1st day post-op: about .5 hour

there are three LASIK surgeries available:

Premium (3rd generation): 35,000 Baht (one eye)

Optimum (3rd generation): 38,500 Baht;

Ultimate (4th generation 'wave front'): 41,750 Baht

also, included in the price are 5 post-op exams

i know that the above prices are not the least expensive to be found in bkk, but i wasn't looking only at price, but also technology and the experience of the staff. this center performs 20,000 LASIK surgeries annually----that's a lot of surgeries!

i don't know if it is appropriate to share their website address here, but it can be easily found doing a web search.

i am most pleased with everything about the center and my surgery.

if you have additional questions, PM me and i will be happy to chat with you further.

best wishes to you as you make your decision. :o

leezer

xo