Need Good Electrician

sakaew

Along with just about everybody else living in Pattaya, I am keenly aware of the potential to be zapped by an unearthed plug, device etc.

I have an Earth Leakage Thingy....but someone recently got a small shock from a water cooler.

I bought a steel rod, bunged it in the ground..problem solved.

It may be asking a bit too much to expect to find a Thai electrician who has any understanding of the merits of earthing, as opposed to the preferred option of pretending it's a waste of time.

If any kind soul has a guy who has done earthing...I would appreciate knowing his name, number.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

often thought about this one can showers be earthed, if you get answer to your question can you post result. i would alos like to know electritian who could earth showers.

Depending on your Power-Supply (viz."Single-Phase" or "Three-Phase"), what is required are respectively "1" or "3" Grounding-Rods.

In any event; yes, we have an electrical-engineer on staff (supervised by a European) who could very quickly sort-out your problems. Just PM me and I will come back to you.

Cheers,

JaapFries

Earthing is not a problem .Don't need 3 pin plugs. Just a copper rod and proper earthing wire- mine is coloured green. Caution, EACH appliance needs its own earth rod and wire. Any electrician can do it. Cost is about B380 if I remember. But don't hold me to that. I earthed our contact breaker box (not really necessary) , my hot water heater, ( very important) and my freezer. Up to you , what you consider necessary. An interesting little test you can do, is to check each appliance for "leakage" If, when you touch it , you get a shock, then earth it. The rod and earth wire , you can buy at any electrical supply shop.

Earthing is not a problem .Don't need 3 pin plugs. Just a copper rod and proper earthing wire- mine is coloured green. Caution, EACH appliance needs its own earth rod and wire. Any electrician can do it. Cost is about B380 if I remember. But don't hold me to that. I earthed our contact breaker box (not really necessary) , my hot water heater, ( very important) and my freezer. Up to you , what you consider necessary. An interesting little test you can do, is to check each appliance for "leakage" If, when you touch it , you get a shock, then earth it. The rod and earth wire , you can buy at any electrical supply shop.

Not exactly correct advice!

Each device does not need it's own earthing rod, and it is advisable to use 3 pin plugs.

For example most computers will carry a small voltage on it's frame when it is not plugged in with a properly earthed 3 pin plug. Non lethal but annoying!

In short, you should always use an earth leakage detector. This will shut off the power supply within 4 msec when the leak is bigger then a preset amount of mA (milli Ampere's). This should not be more the 30 mA.

With the above, with a faulty device you will still get a small shock but not lethal.

In itself, this would be sufficient protection, BUT, earth leakage devices, just like any other device can fail!

Which is why you absolutely have to test the device once a month (press the little test button. when the device trips, all is good).

And secondly, the possibility of the above failure makes it important to properly earth electrical devices, especially devices in wet places, like instant shower heaters.

The basic idea being, that if the devices shorts out to the outside, sufficient current will floe through the earth wire and the earth rod to trip the regular breaker within 4 msec. And thus also protects anybody using the device.

For this to work properly the following needs to be in order:

* size of the earthing wire (according to the breaker installed i.e. 10 amps = 1.5 sqmm, 16 amps = 2.5 sqmm etc)

* resistance of the earth rod

* proper sized breaker

All the above is to ensure that the earth circuit can divert enough current to trip the regular breaker in case the earth leakage device fails.