Dvds To Get Cheaper In Thailand ?

Khun Bob

CMC To Build World’s Biggest DVD Factory

Posted Oct 07, 2005 - 11:58 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print this story Email this to a friend

CMC Magnetics will establish the largest DVD disc factory in the world, with a monthly production capacity of 40 million DVD discs, according to company chairman Robert Wong at an institutional investor conference on October 5. The factory, to be located in Thailand, will begin volume production in the first quarter of next year, according to Wong.

Through its 100% owned subsidiary, EMC Investment Holding, CMC will indirectly invest 410 million baht (US$10.0 million) to establish the operating company of the new factory, Multimedia Storage (Thailand), according to a CMC announcement posted on the Taiwan Stock Exchange. The site of the new factory covers 3.80 hectares (409,170 square feet).

CMC is phasing out production of the nearly profitless CD-R disc and shifting to that of the highly profitable 16x DVD+R/-R disc, Wong pointed out. In addition, the company is poised for production of several new product lines next year, including Blu-ray discs, HD-DVD discs, HD-DVD DL (single-sided double-layer) discs and high-speed LightScribe DVD discs, Wong indicated.

Taiwan’s optical disc manufacturing industry currently consists of too many makers to have healthy competition, Wong noted. The industry would be best suited if it consolidated and only three players remained, said Wong.

Story source: digitimes.com.

Does this mean that dvd's will get cheaper - thailand is still more expensive than malaysia....

any comments...

Is it?  I can buy knock-off film DVD's here for 80-100 baht and I have even bought "Original" films for 49 baht, box and all - Thats much cheaper than I can buy a blank DVD-R for.

How much are Films in Malaysia?

Your buying them at the wrong place at IT center in Pattaya if you buy 100 Pcs 10 cents a piece if under 100 Pcs 12 cents they are DVD- 4 x I have used about 35 of them and have not had a bad one

I think the question that Bob was trying to ask was whether DVD *media* will get cheaper in Thailand, not DVD movies. Of course, not everyone uses their DVD recordables to pirate movies... I know I don't... well, only a couple of times for friends, but my DVDs are used mainly for making my own movies from DV tape.

I must be looking for blank discs in the wrong place as the best price i have found so far is 10bt per disc - but i havent looked that hard yet... I can get blank discs even cheaper in the UK...

As for movies - i can get 3 dvds of the latest movies for 10RM - about 100bt - and they have the original soundtrack as default - seems that 80bt is about the best price i have found in bkk

Even audio cds are 100bt a disc here - in malaysia same same about 4RM - 40 BT approx

Where do you get blank dvds for 4bt each ?

Edited by Khun Bob