Concern As Thai Election Commissioners Head To Europe

webfact

GENERAL ELECTION

Concern as Election Commissioners head to Europe

By The Nation

Political parties have questioned why four of five Election Commissioners have opted to make an inspection trip in Europe from today to Tuesday just two weeks prior to the general election.

Democrat secretary general Suthep Thausuban called on the EC to devote its full attention to the vote instead of being distracted by non essential duties.

"I don't want to speculate why the four chose to travel abroad at a crucial juncture of campaigning," he said in reference to a rumour about derailing the general election.

Suthep reminded the EC that it had to answer to the public if the balloting fell short of being free and fair.

Chart Thai Pattana spokesman Watchara Kannikar said the commissioners should have prioritised their duties, arguing that the supervision of vote in Thailand should come before the advance vote of expats living overseas.

"There is no justification to travel abroad, overlooking the main responsibility of vote supervision," he said.

Watchara said despite the lapse of judgement for the trip, his party did not suspect the EC of having an ulterior motive.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said the four commissioners had erred in deciding to take the trip.

With four out of the country, one remaining commissioner Somchai Juengprasert would not be able to handle fraud complaints should any arise, he said.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he believed the EC might already have drawn up contingency plans to cope with any problems when the commissioners were out of the country.

The four commissioners travelled to Denmark and Iceland to check on the preparations for the June 26 advance vote being held for Thai expats.

The absence of Apichart Sukhagganond, Prapun Naigowitn, Wisuth Pothitaen and Sodsri Satayathum has triggered concern about dealing with campaign violations since an EC ruling requires the endorsement of four of the five commissioners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-17

Let's suppose they are flying and not travelling overland by water buffalo. Wouldn't a pertinent question be "when do you plan to return?"

Back on Tuesday apparently.

I would be interested to know why they picked Iceland??? Maybe hoping for another volcanic eruption so the can sit out the election there???

Edited by Orac

Assuming they took their phones, laptop computers and perhaps even their brains with them, would they not still be capable of participating in any decisions which needed to be made?

I completely agree with you there,except maybe for the brains part ,but hey why they need to come back at all.The could just run the commission from abroad.,I'm sure it can be arranged to have an office build into a beach chair.

Free holiday, business class ticket, 5 star hotel, what's not to like about this freebie (courtesy of the Thai tax payers)...

Lets face it, if any of us was offered a short break for free we would jump at it...

Of course they'll try to tell us it wasn't a freebie, pull the other one...

Free holiday, business class ticket, 5 star hotel, what's not to like about this freebie (courtesy of the Thai tax payers)...

Lets face it, if any of us was offered a short break for free we would jump at it...

Of course they'll try to tell us it wasn't a freebie, pull the other one...

TIT as they say and I think I caught a glimpse of the latest IKEA beach chairs on the seats as they flew past ............ Ohhhh the good life, having fun seems to be the ideal ......

EC members face flak over Europe jaunt

By The Nation

30158137-01.jpg

Political parties have questioned why four of the five election commissioners went on a five-day inspection trip to Europe on Thursday as the July 3 vote looms.

Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban called on the Election Commission to devote full attention to the vote instead of being distracted by non-essential duties.

"I don't want to speculate why the four chose to travel abroad at a crucial juncture of campaigning," he said in reference to a rumour about derailing the general election.

Suthep reminded the EC that it had to answer to the public if balloting fell short of being free and fair.

Chart Thai Pattana spokesman Watchara Kannikar said the commissioners should have prioritised their duties, arguing that the supervision of voting in Thailand should come before the advance vote for expatriates living overseas.

"There is no justification to travel abroad, overlooking the main responsibility of vote supervision," he said.

Watchara said that despite the lapse of judgement for the trip, his party did not suspect the EC had an ulterior motive.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said the four commissioners had erred in deciding to take the trip.

With four out of the country, the one remaining commissioner, Somchai Juengprasert, would not be able to handle the situation if fraud complaints arose, he said.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he believed the EC might already have drawn up contingency plans to cope with any problems when the commissioners were out of the country.

The four commissioners travelled to Denmark and Iceland to check on preparations for the June 26 advance vote for Thai expats.

The absence of Apichart Sukhagganond, Prapun Naigowit, Wisuth Pothitaen and Sodsri Satayathum has triggered concern about dealing with campaign violations, since an EC ruling requires the endorsement of four of five commissioners.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-18

EC members face flak over Europe jaunt

By The Nation

30158137-01.jpg

Political parties have questioned why four of the five election commissioners went on a five-day inspection trip to Europe on Thursday as the July 3 vote looms.

<snipped for brevity>

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-06-18

So, a few hogs are pissed off that they didn't get a freebie and make some facile remarks.

And one sensible comment.

Par for the course.

With four out of the country, one remaining commissioner Somchai Juengprasert would not be able to handle fraud complaints should any arise, he said.

This is Thailand, where if you pretend hard enough that bad things won't happen, they miraculously go away. So, if a fraud complaint is made, but there's nobody around to hear it, does the fraud exist? Result: a fraud-free election! I think they've just gone to Europe to celebrate their success.

This is Thailand, where if you pretend hard enough that bad things won't happen, they miraculously go away. So, if a fraud complaint is made, but there's nobody around to hear it, does the fraud exist? Result: a fraud-free election! I think they've just gone to Europe to celebrate their success.

Yep, that just about covers it:

Get away from pre election problems

Avoid election results

but the bit about checking expats voting proceedures in Icland is a bit thin. How about checking in with expelled expats. Maybe they need instructions on when to declare an election invalid.....

Suthep? The man who was involved in a land scandal under the Chuan government and involved in the cover up of the death of protestors as head of the DSI? The man involved in the Palm oil scam? The man who is secretary of a party that was not dissolved on a technicality for misusing election funds paid for by the TAw payer and the party who took money from TPI which screwed numerous banks and investors out of billions? That man is lecturing the election commission. Look at that. He is already covering his very fat bottom for an unavoidable loss.

Suthep should make a very deep bow for the election commission for the fact that they were so sloppy to leave his party off the hook. Sore loser!

The four commissioners travelled to Denmark and Iceland to check on the preparations for the June 26 advance vote being held for Thai expats.

With a population of 300,000 plus, I wonder how many Thai expats in Iceland ?

As for Denmark, there are quite a few Thai there, but I assume the embassy in Copenhagen is capable of handling this.

So appears to be a pure pleasure trip.

Suthep? The man who was involved in a land scandal under the Chuan government and involved in the cover up of the death of protestors as head of the DSI? The man involved in the Palm oil scam? The man who is secretary of a party that was not dissolved on a technicality for misusing election funds paid for by the TAw payer and the party who took money from TPI which screwed numerous banks and investors out of billions? That man is lecturing the election commission. Look at that. He is already covering his very fat bottom for an unavoidable loss.

Suthep should make a very deep bow for the election commission for the fact that they were so sloppy to leave his party off the hook. Sore loser!

Not one of these accusations is anything more than an accusation.

Election time mud slinging, and of course distracts from the topic.

The EC members should be HERE to run the election NOW.

make hay while the sun shines, at this time of year that's a lot of sunshine in Iceland. Most SE Asians have a thing about snow, they all want to experience it. This might be their only chance.

With a population of 300,000 plus, I wonder how many Thai expats in Iceland ?

As for Denmark, there are quite a few Thai there, but I assume the embassy in Copenhagen is capable of handling this.

So appears to be a pure pleasure trip.

No convinced at all that the trip was necessary, and why 4 out of the 5 commissioners?

Assuming they took their phones, laptop computers and perhaps even their brains with them, would they not still be capable of participating in any decisions which needed to be made?

Golly, running a governmental type body whilst being abroad...... wonder where that idea came from.

I did not know there were so many Thai Expats living in Iceland and Denmark. I would have thought for purposes of "supervision" they would need to go to Germany, Sweden, England, Australia, or the US. Iceland too cold....wink.gif

Yes, many, many Thai Expats live in California (Thai-town and Thai Embassy (Consulate?) in LA, a very nice Wat in Fremont, CA--- and Florida has a lot of Thai Expats. Similar climates to The Kingdom) What facts do I not know about Iceland? In my ignorance, it makes me smile.....